The Student Room Group

Advice needed for university choices

So I am currently in the process of choosing my firm and insurance choices for university. The universities and courses I have applied for are the following:

- ACM (Guildford) - Music Production
- Goldsmiths - EMCT
- Birmingham City - Music Technology
- Winchester - Music and Sound Production
- dBs Institute (Bristol) - MPSE

So far my top 3 choices have come to Birmingham City, Winchester, or dBs Institute. I am looking to go to a taster day at Winchester this month and Birmingham City in April.

I am interested in a career as a music producer, mixing engineer, or in places such as music production for film, tv and video games. I was wondering if anyone knows which university and course would guide me closest towards either of those directions and what opportunities are offered or what connections do each university have to the area of the industry I am interested in going into.

Another issue I currently have is accommodation. dBs in Bristol doesn’t have its own accommodation however there is plenty of private accommodation around Bristol (which I won’t be able to afford as they are around £300 p/w for a whole year). My own option is going into shared housing and chat to students on the discord server they offer however my dad is strongly against me going into shared housing and would prefer me to go into halls.

Any advice would be appreciated. My dad has become extremely involved in my university steps and despite me explaining to him that it stresses me out he is still asking me the same questions I’m not sure how to answer or pressuring me to make a decision soon. My top choice last summer was originally going to be Winchester (my heart was set to it in the past) however after my dad gave me all these options it’s been very difficult. He has even said comments such as “do you only like this university because it’s closest to your boyfriend” and I have to explain to him that I picked a certain university before I even started talking to him.

Anyways thank you :smile:
Original post by izzyexistent
So I am currently in the process of choosing my firm and insurance choices for university. The universities and courses I have applied for are the following:

- Goldsmiths - EMCT

So far my top 3 choices have come to Birmingham City, Winchester, or dBs Institute. I am looking to go to a taster day at Winchester this month and Birmingham City in April.

I am interested in a career as a music producer, mixing engineer, or in places such as music production for film, tv and video games. I was wondering if anyone knows which university and course would guide me closest towards either of those directions and what opportunities are offered or what connections do each university have to the area of the industry I am interested in going into.

Another issue I currently have is accommodation. dBs in Bristol doesn’t have its own accommodation however there is plenty of private accommodation around Bristol (which I won’t be able to afford as they are around £300 p/w for a whole year). My own option is going into shared housing and chat to students on the discord server they offer however my dad is strongly against me going into shared housing and would prefer me to go into halls.

Any advice would be appreciated. My dad has become extremely involved in my university steps and despite me explaining to him that it stresses me out he is still asking me the same questions I’m not sure how to answer or pressuring me to make a decision soon. My top choice last summer was originally going to be Winchester (my heart was set to it in the past) however after my dad gave me all these options it’s been very difficult. He has even said comments such as “do you only like this university because it’s closest to your boyfriend” and I have to explain to him that I picked a certain university before I even started talking to him.

Hi @izzyexistent

I definitely think a taster day is the way to go to help your decision. It gives you chance to get a feel for the uni, ask more questions and meet tutors, which I think can really impact your decision. Also, if you get chance to on the day, try to look at some accommodation as I feel it's always better to see them in person than online.

I'm sure you will have already been through the BCU website, but definitely check out the 'employability' section for some insight into graduate careers. And also give a side by side comparison of the course breakdowns from each uni a go, as you can sometimes pick one course over another from potential topics covered in the course.

I can't speak for all the unis you're considering, so definitely do your research on them too, but if you're still struggling to choose after looking at the course, you can extend your research to the cities themselves and what they offer. Birmingham has a great nightlife with lots of bars, restaurants and clubs, but also has quieter spots if you're not about drinking or clubbing. There's a busy high street/shopping area, lots of public transport and lots of events. And Digbeth is a popular student area with gaming cafes, Red Brick Market, bars and restaurants and cinemas.

Hopefully this can help you with your decision! 🙂
Best of luck!
Emily
Student Rep at BCU
Reply 2
What sort of 'Uni experience' do you want to have?
Big Uni / big city with all amenities etc, or smaller Uni or 'college' which would possibly be cosier but without all the add-ons.
On your visits - a very good idea - think carefully about the reality of 3 years of study at each place.
Original post by izzyexistent

- Goldsmiths - EMCT

Choosing a university is extremely personal. You need to visit and decide what is right for you.

I dont know anything about your courses or universities but I do know Bristol has a shortage of accommodation so that is something you need to think about. In recent years Bristol and UWE have been placing students in Newport 31 miles away because of the lack of accommodation in the city. There is also the cost of accommodation when you find it so you need to think very hard about this if your university doesnt offer first year accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending