The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JimLahey
Most people tend to move in to their second year accom in July, pretty much straight from their first year accom. I'm sure some might go back home before that, but the contracts nearly always start in July.

oh yay, that sounds good, which means we can leave the things there and travel back home before coming back in sept, or choose to stay there from july itself?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Hi I am a prospective international postgraduate student. As I was searching through the accommodation options, it appeared on the UOB website that only two options (The Spinney and Jaratt Hall) were for post-grad students. Is that true? Does it mean that post-grad students cannot apply to other accommodations? It seems to me that options are very limited. Personally I am fond of the Vale and some in the Selly Oak, but according to the official website I might not have a chance to choose from these options.

Would appreciate any answers, much thanks!
Hi,
Probably a long shot asking on here but I'm thinking of living in Jarratt halls next year and was wondering if anyone could comment on the internet speed/ stability. I make my income playing poker online so it's very important it doesn't cut out.

Thanks
Original post by abc1290
Hi,
Probably a long shot asking on here but I'm thinking of living in Jarratt halls next year and was wondering if anyone could comment on the internet speed/ stability. I make my income playing poker online so it's very important it doesn't cut out.

Thanks

Hi, I will live in Jarratt Halls too the next year. According to some youtubers, their internet stability is not so good.
Hi, i’ll be 1st year Dental student starting in Sept 2023. Debating between Elgar court (Vale) & Jarratt hall (Selly oaks) can anyone help me to decide pls, much appreciated
Also is there any laundry facility at both these places??
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Bee05
Hi, i’ll be 1st year Dental student starting in Sept 2023. Debating between Elgar court (Vale) & Jarratt hall (Selly oaks) can anyone help me to decide pls, much appreciated

Jarratt Hall is much closer to campus than Elgar Court (which is up the hill on the vale).
The vale is a nice place to live if you want to be able to visit other friends super easily, although Jarratt Hall is located in sort of the main "cluster" of accomodation in Selly.
I know Elgar Court has no laundry of its own, however they just share with Maple Bank which is very close. I can't say I know about laundry at Jarratt Hall.
Thank you so much for replying. Elgar court seems far but I don’t mind the walk so distance is not an issue. Also laundry at Maple bank would be okay too. My concern is, is it safe to walk to Elgar court?
Jarratt halls gives option for meal plan & i want self catered. I’ve read lots of comments that says its too noisy.. not sure to believe them or not
Original post by Bee05
Thank you so much for replying. Elgar court seems far but I don’t mind the walk so distance is not an issue. Also laundry at Maple bank would be okay too. My concern is, is it safe to walk to Elgar court?
Jarratt halls gives option for meal plan & i want self catered. I’ve read lots of comments that says its too noisy.. not sure to believe them or not

The walk to the vale feels very safe. The path from campus is very well lit and has emergency call buttons spaced out along it. I have walked down that path by myself in the dark many times and never felt unsafe. I would say don't walk along the canal in the dark, but it is nice to walk that way when it is not dark.
hiya im thinking of living in chamberlain, can you give any insight on what its like?
Original post by Cupcakes12
The walk to the vale feels very safe. The path from campus is very well lit and has emergency call buttons spaced out along it. I have walked down that path by myself in the dark many times and never felt unsafe. I would say don't walk along the canal in the dark, but it is nice to walk that way when it is not dark.

Thanks, really appreciate your response as it has put my mind to ease with my accommodation option 👍🏼 I really like Elgar court
Heyy if anyone has firmed UoB for 2023 entry add me on snap ill add u to the uni chats x @Sophia.balchinn
Reply 6851
Hi guys, my accommodation deadline is 30/06/23 & i’ve changed my mind from Elgar court to Mason. I would really appreciate If there is anyone on this group who is currently living at Mason or lived before can help me with some of my queries. 1) bed - is it single or small double? 2) space underneath the bed (in cm/inches) 3) bathroom- as it is wet room, are there any tips you can provide so I can add things i’ll need to my shopping list. 4) blinds - do they all function & are they blackout or i’ll have to think of some alternative.. 5) laundry- is it one located in the building?. That’s it for now 😅
Original post by Bee05

hey! so jarratt is postgraduate only so you’ll be left with one choice but if it is a available for next year i’d recommend. purely for the convenience of its location. aldi and tesco are down the road, campus is 5 minutes away. however if you enjoy walks and want that student feel of being surrounded by other accommodations in a village environment, go for elgar. both have laundry facilities as well
Reply 6853
Original post by Anonymous
hey! so jarratt is postgraduate only so you’ll be left with one choice but if it is a available for next year i’d recommend. purely for the convenience of its location. aldi and tesco are down the road, campus is 5 minutes away. however if you enjoy walks and want that student feel of being surrounded by other accommodations in a village environment, go for elgar. both have laundry facilities as well

Thank you so much 😊 do you have any info on Mason? I really want to stay in Vale village. Small trips for shopping if fine with me
Original post by Bee05
Thank you so much 😊 do you have any info on Mason? I really want to stay in Vale village. Small trips for shopping if fine with me

yeah! mason is ensuite and self catered however it does have a wet room as the bathroom. the laundrette is modern and semi a common room as it has some couches to chill on if you’re waiting for your laundry. single bed, long desk, quite a rectangular kitchen. you can check the website for prices and take a virtual tour aswell if you would like
Reply 6855
Original post by Anonymous
yeah! mason is ensuite and self catered however it does have a wet room as the bathroom. the laundrette is modern and semi a common room as it has some couches to chill on if you’re waiting for your laundry. single bed, long desk, quite a rectangular kitchen. you can check the website for prices and take a virtual tour aswell if you would like

Thank you for giving insight into Mason 😊
Original post by Bee05
Hi guys, my accommodation deadline is 30/06/23 & i’ve changed my mind from Elgar court to Mason. I would really appreciate If there is anyone on this group who is currently living at Mason or lived before can help me with some of my queries. 1) bed - is it single or small double? 2) space underneath the bed (in cm/inches) 3) bathroom- as it is wet room, are there any tips you can provide so I can add things i’ll need to my shopping list. 4) blinds - do they all function & are they blackout or i’ll have to think of some alternative.. 5) laundry- is it one located in the building?. That’s it for now 😅

Mason have small double beds
idk how big the space under the bed is but you can fit standard depth underbed storage boxes under there - my friend also has a bunch of other stuff including a bucket which fits under hers
squeegee is useful for bathroom to wipe down the walls after to prevent it going mouldy
blinds seem to be decent, if they're broken u can contact maintenance and they'll replace usually pretty speedily
laundry is in a separate building (mason is spread over quite alot of separate blocks) which is about a 5-8 minute walk at most from the furthest bit of accom (it is also a really nice and newly done up laundry)
Reply 6857
Mason have small double beds
idk how big the space under the bed is but you can fit standard depth underbed storage boxes under there - my friend also has a bunch of other stuff including a bucket which fits under hers
squeegee is useful for bathroom to wipe down the walls after to prevent it going mouldy
blinds seem to be decent, if they're broken u can contact maintenance and they'll replace usually pretty speedily
laundry is in a separate building (mason is spread over quite alot of separate blocks) which is about a 5-8 minute walk at most from the furthest bit of accom (it is also a really nice and newly done up laundry)

Brilliant, Thank you ever so much
for answering all my queries re Mason xx
Does anyone know what the situation is if you apply to Birmingham through Clearing - are you guaranteed accommodation in Halls ?
Hi everyone,

I am a postgraduate student coming to study at Birmingham next month with an offer for maple bank halls.

I just wanted to ask whether Birmingham allows swaps for halls?

Also if it is allowed and any postgraduate student has halls in tennis courts or another hall and wants to swap let me know.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending