The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

University of Birmingham Accommodation

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
chrisb23
Ok well don't worry too much about Mason, I just personally think it's a huge rip off, and that they designed it pretty badly. I mean why do they not give you a door for the bathroom? and why does it slide? It's still pretty nice though, but I wouldnt pay what I pay now for Shackleton for Mason.

I'm gunna be honest and say the 2 person ones are rubbish, I know two people who get on together, most of the others have moved out into other 5-8 person ones. I was told however that they messed it up this year, and the two people ones were meant to be for the internationals, instead they spread them all around the other flats (not saying this is a particularly bad thing, but some of the internationals can be pretty unsociable).

Basically, if you're dieing for en-suite, you have little choice, and you're going to have to pay craploads for it. Most of Elgar goes to gap yearers, so you're pretty much stuck with: Shackleton (all catered - expensive), Mason (self-catered - expensive) or Mason (catered -RIP OFF). Or you could go off campus, but It's not really ideal.

Hmmm....would you think it would be worth requesting to not be in the 2 people flats at all?

More inclined for Shackleton now. I really want to be catered so probably looks the best idea.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
I think I'll stick with Tennis Courts after reading all of this, I'll have just have to let the en-suite go, not too bad I suppose.
It's the only thing that puts me off Bham, the accommodation prices, apart from that I love it and currently, it's my firm if UCL reject.
Reply 982
Jamsie_853
I think I'll stick with Tennis Courts after reading all of this, I'll have just have to let the en-suite go, not too bad I suppose.
It's the only thing that puts me off Bham, the accommodation prices, apart from that I love it and currently, it's my firm if UCL reject.

ERGH the prices are horrendous.

I just wish i wasn't so drawn to the place!
Bumhole
ERGH the prices are horrendous.

I just wish i wasn't so drawn to the place!

Exactly Bumhole! (:p:)

It looks like a fantastic place to study and overall, I was incredibly impressed with the facilities in the Psychology department, and in general.
It is my only con, plus I'm only entitled to the bog standard maintenance grant and student loan, and I have to say, if I chose to stay in London that maintenance grant increases a significant amount.

Well done with your five offers though, I can imagine you're glad you've got it out the way!
Don't forget considering the private accommodation such as QHC or IQ5. As far as I know their both en-suite at around £4300 for a 42 week rent, IQ5 slightly cheaper.

The drawbacks are your further away and that you might not feel as connected as the people on the vale, but to be honest I think its pretty social and its very close to broad street, where all the parties happen :biggrin:
gaomeister
Don't forget considering the private accommodation such as QHC or IQ5. As far as I know their both en-suite at around £4300 for a 42 week rent, IQ5 slightly cheaper.

The drawbacks are your further away and that you might not feel as connected as the people on the vale, but to be honest I think its pretty social and its very close to broad street, where all the parties happen :biggrin:

Ah thank you so much.

I've been looking for how much they cost for ages! :biggrin:
I could imagine that their fees are on a really obvious part of the website or in my pack. :o:

Thank you all the same!
Reply 986
Jamsie_853
Exactly Bumhole! (:p:)

It looks like a fantastic place to study and overall, I was incredibly impressed with the facilities in the Psychology department, and in general.
It is my only con, plus I'm only entitled to the bog standard maintenance grant and student loan, and I have to say, if I chose to stay in London that maintenance grant increases a significant amount.

Well done with your five offers though, I can imagine you're glad you've got it out the way!

Thankyou...well done to you aswell!

I am jealous, i would rather do Psychology, but unfortunately i am not clever enough to get onto the courses i wanted!
Reply 987
Yeah the accomodation is wayyy too expensive. They're seriously taking the piss with it: I mean the Vale is lovely, and Edgbaston is a posh area, but when the costs of the accomodation can rival those in London it needs a serious rethink.

In the end I nearly chose Leeds over Bham solely because the accomodation was about 2 grand cheaper, but it would have been a HUGE mistake! Birmingham is a seriously amazing Uni, have no doubt you'll love it wherever you go. :smile:
Jamsie_853
Ah thank you so much.

I've been looking for how much they cost for ages! :biggrin:
I could imagine that their fees are on a really obvious part of the website or in my pack. :o:

Thank you all the same!

No problem :biggrin:

Though those are this year's prices, I've heard that the ones on campus may rise up to £400 more, though not sure about 5 ways. The rents should be shown in a booklet you'll be sent if you have been offered a place or put it as a firm choice, I can't remember which...
Reply 989
Ergh.

Confusion.

I went onto Bhams website, for accomodation and it says new students can now apply....however it requires a Student ID number...where an earth am i meant to get that from?!?
Reply 990
If I remember it was on one of the letters from the University, not a UCAS one though.
Reply 991
chrisb23
If I remember it was on one of the letters from the University, not a UCAS one though.

Oh okay...hopefull that shouldn't be too long arriving!
Bumhole
Thankyou...well done to you aswell!

I am jealous, i would rather do Psychology, but unfortunately i am not clever enough to get onto the courses i wanted!

Ah Psychology is great(well, I'd have to say that, I'm doing it!:p:)
Don't put yourself down though, you got some really good offers from some top places! :smile:
I really enjoy Sociology, trust me, you haven't gone wrong picking it.
Can someone help me choose accommodation? I want a studio flat so what is the best to go for? I'm trying to decide between Studios 51 in Birmingham City Centre, Mason and Shackleton. Which one is better? Or are there any others which i should be looking at?
Reply 994
chaotik_mind
Can someone help me choose accommodation? I want a studio flat so what is the best to go for? I'm trying to decide between Studios 51 in Birmingham City Centre, Mason and Shackleton. Which one is better? Or are there any others which i should be looking at?

Studios51 is on the wrong side of the city, a much better option would be IQ5 which is owned by the same company, Mainstay. This is probably more reasonably priced than Mason or Shackleton but I've yet to see any prices for 09/10 yet.
Reply 995
Mason's penthouse things are really nice, I don't think the ones in Shackleton are as good, pretty standard. The views from the Mason ones are really nice (if that sways you at all lol)
Thanks, so the studio flats at Mason would be the way to go?
Reply 997
mason studios are gonna be 12 grand for the new academic year
Reply 998
chaotik_mind
Thanks, so the studio flats at Mason would be the way to go?

If you can face having to sell your arms and legs to pay the rent, yes :-)
Reply 999
Can anybody shed any light on Aitken at all?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending