The Student Room Group

Shared-ownership housing - good or a bad idea?

What do people think about the Government's plans for shared-ownership housing, whereby owners own 50% of the equity in a property and the banks / the Government will own the rest?

Personally I think it's a dreadful idea. I understand the huge pressures on young people and how difficult it is to get on the property ladder these days, but I really don't think this is the solution. To my mind, it will just further inflate the property bubble in the UK in the same way as letting parents underwrite mortgages for their children / shared ownership mortgages / self-declaring income mortgages have done, playing into the hands of speculators and developers, whilst not actually increasing the overall size of the housing stock.

Furthermore, I am concerned that if the UK Government and the UK banks start to become majorly invested in UK property, should a housing market price collapse take place, it is not just home-owners that wil suffer, but the banking system's strength and the whole of the state. At this stage in the cycle, I for one would not be buying into property, so I don't feel too happy about tax £s going into investments that could be worth 30-50% less in 5 years' time than today.

I think a far better solution would be the exploration of modular building techniques, relaxation of planning procedures so that councils will actually grant planning permission to housing stock that doesn't look like 1950s "noddy houses". This would increase the overall stock of housing, and would also, through the use of modern construction methods be cheaper and better for the environment. The Walter Seagal House on Grand Designs was a good example of what can be done, but unfortunately conservative (with a small c) planning officers are too backward looking to let it through.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
"Old Labour was about nationalising industry; New Labour is about nationalising people"
- Nicholas Budgen
Reply 2
This is a discussion I have been involved in else where

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8825
Reply 3
AT82
This is a discussion I have been involved in else where

http://www.zerogain.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8825

Interesting - that was something I should have mentioned originally - it does smack of trying to prop up the housing market a bit as Brown is no doubt worried if that people feel a lot less wealthy as their houses aren't going up in value, then they will be less inclined to borrow against that putative increase in value and go shopping - no shopping = bad economy.

I think its bizarre for the gov't to get involved in the market like this - if prices are too high then people will rent, it seems that most buy-to-let yields are lower than the rate you could get at ing direct (i.e. pre-tex rental yield sub 5%). this will encourage landlords to sell, more sellers than buyers, prices fall, first time buyers can afford to buy again, the process continues. the gov't intervening in a market like this risks entering into a market that will consume vast amounts of public funds (cap anyone) and benefit people who arguably weren't really that in need of support anyway - its not like these people have no where to live, is it?

Meanwhile, I hear the gov't is looking to tackle the risk of this measure just stoking the price of housing by charging john prescott with making sure a load of new houses are also built. now, maybe my memories failing me, but didn't mr. prescott get told to sort this out as part of his DETR remit in 1997 - along with transport? I for one won't be holding my breath on the new housing stock.
Reply 4
jrhartley
What do people think about the Government's plans for shared-ownership housing, whereby owners own 50% of the equity in a property and the banks / the Government will own the rest?

Personally I think it's a dreadful idea. I understand the huge pressures on young people and how difficult it is to get on the property ladder these days, but I really don't think this is the solution. To my mind, it will just further inflate the property bubble in the UK in the same way as letting parents underwrite mortgages for their children / shared ownership mortgages / self-declaring income mortgages have done, playing into the hands of speculators and developers, whilst not actually increasing the overall size of the housing stock.

Furthermore, I am concerned that if the UK Government and the UK banks start to become majorly invested in UK property, should a housing market price collapse take place, it is not just home-owners that wil suffer, but the banking system's strength and the whole of the state. At this stage in the cycle, I for one would not be buying into property, so I don't feel too happy about tax £s going into investments that could be worth 30-50% less in 5 years' time than today.

I think a far better solution would be the exploration of modular building techniques, relaxation of planning procedures so that councils will actually grant planning permission to housing stock that doesn't look like 1950s "noddy houses". This would increase the overall stock of housing, and would also, through the use of modern construction methods be cheaper and better for the environment. The Walter Seagal House on Grand Designs was a good example of what can be done, but unfortunately conservative (with a small c) planning officers are too backward looking to let it through.

"Modern construction techniques" reminds me of Ronan Point and the wonders of Bison Concrete Products and conjours up all sorts of images of Barratt Homes repairing 60,000 homes with rotting internal walls. :smile:
Reply 5
Howard
"Modern construction techniques" reminds me of Ronan Point and the wonders of Bison Concrete Products and conjours up all sorts of images of Barratt Homes repairing 60,000 homes with rotting internal walls. :smile:

Well that's certainly not what I had in mind, in fact, the less concrete used the better, one of the most environmentally damaging products in its construction. was thinking more about the construction ideas contained in books like "XS - Big Ideas, Small Buildings" and Pierre D'Avoine's excellent pattern book for expanding housing in congested cities - "Housey Housey". I can commend both books as an example of what can be done without having to resort to the atrocious Barratt Homes approach.
Reply 6
jrhartley
Well that's certainly not what I had in mind, in fact, the less concrete used the better, one of the most environmentally damaging products in its construction. was thinking more about the construction ideas contained in books like "XS - Big Ideas, Small Buildings" and Pierre D'Avoine's excellent pattern book for expanding housing in congested cities - "Housey Housey". I can commend both books as an example of what can be done without having to resort to the atrocious Barratt Homes approach.

How does concrete damage the environment?
Reply 7
Howard
How does concrete damage the environment?

Well, apart from the fact that it will last in the ground about 1000 years, its the methods of production with cement that cause the problems - wash out of limes into the water supply and the huge amount of energy required to make it - from what I've been told by experts and seen on TV, cement is amongst the most energy intensive materials used in the construction industry. I personally think far greater use should be made of wood and locally sourced materials, with concrete used as sparingly as possible.
Reply 8
jrhartley
Well, apart from the fact that it will last in the ground about 1000 years, its the methods of production with cement that cause the problems - wash out of limes into the water supply and the huge amount of energy required to make it - from what I've been told by experts and seen on TV, cement is amongst the most energy intensive materials used in the construction industry. I personally think far greater use should be made of wood and locally sourced materials, with concrete used as sparingly as possible.

Well, concrete is made from natural products......aggregates of different sizes (stones and sand) and water and portland cement. But it doesn't last for 1000 years as concrete; it breaks down back to it's component elements much much quicker than that.

Portland cement does require a lot of energy to produce but quite honestly concrete provides designers with a material that is absolutely vital in construction. There are so many elements to which there are few viable alternatives; buildings need foundations to transpose loads down to load bearing statum and concrete is the cheapest and most efficient way to do this; modular concrete floor slabs are about the cheapest way I know to span steel beams, tilt up wall panels are one of the quickest and cheapest ways of forming an external envelope, concrete roof tiles are about the most durable domestic roof covering on the market etc etc.

BTW, I'd have thought that wood would be far more environmentally disadvantegous to be honest; not least because it comes from trees. :rolleyes: :smile:
Reply 9
jrhartley
it seems that most buy-to-let yields are lower than the rate you could get at ing direct (i.e. pre-tex rental yield sub 5%).

Not sure I follow this. Can you explain it again?
Reply 10
Howard
Well, concrete is made from natural products......aggregates of different sizes (stones and sand) and water and portland cement. But it doesn't last for 1000 years as concrete; it breaks down back to it's component elements much much quicker than that.

Depends on how its treated, what sort of soil its in, the mix, etc. etc. It's quite possible to fabricate concrete that would last well over 1,000 years.

Howard
Portland cement does require a lot of energy to produce but quite honestly concrete provides designers with a material that is absolutely vital in construction. There are so many elements to which there are few viable alternatives; buildings need foundations to transpose loads down to load bearing statum and concrete is the cheapest and most efficient way to do this; modular concrete floor slabs are about the cheapest way I know to span steel beams, tilt up wall panels are one of the quickest and cheapest ways of forming an external envelope, concrete roof tiles are about the most durable domestic roof covering on the market etc etc.

I accept that in difficult engineering processes concrete is useful, and in domestic housing it is useful for the foundations, but I think as it is so cheap and can be melded to any shape pretty much, it has eliminated the need for architects/designers to think about better materials some of the time - they just go brick and block with concrete slab floors, and that's it. I would like to see promotion of locally sourced materials and encouraging people to learn to use them again (i.e. growth in wood-working, stonework, etc).

Howard
BTW, I'd have thought that wood would be far more environmentally disadvantegous to be honest; not least because it comes from trees. :rolleyes: :smile:

No - wood is accepted as the most environmentally friendly material in the home construction industry. Most sawmills / foresters will plant 2 trees for every one they fell to make into house-building materials.
Reply 11
Howard
Not sure I follow this. Can you explain it again?

Well - certainly in London, most buy-to-let landlords are probably seeing a yield to current value on their property of around 3-4% pre-tax (i.e. 2%-2.5% post tax at 40%) - so agents are seeing large number of these speculators now selling - obviously if they can get 5% pre-tax risk free from an ING Direct savings account, you don't want to have your capital tied up in a property earning you less than that, with all the hassle of dealing with agents and tenants, repairs, wear & tear, etc.

so the BTL market, particularly in the south-east has cooled off massively to the point where a lot of the properties are coming to the market. buyers at current prices are less than such properties for sale, hence prices are coming down. i predict that this is a trend that will eminate across the whole of the uk.
Reply 12
jrhartley
Depends on how its treated, what sort of soil its in, the mix, etc. etc. It's quite possible to fabricate concrete that would last well over 1,000 years.

I accept that in difficult engineering processes concrete is useful, and in domestic housing it is useful for the foundations, but I think as it is so cheap and can be melded to any shape pretty much, it has eliminated the need for architects/designers to think about better materials some of the time - they just go brick and block with concrete slab floors, and that's it. I would like to see promotion of locally sourced materials and encouraging people to learn to use them again (i.e. growth in wood-working, stonework, etc).

No - wood is accepted as the most environmentally friendly material in the home construction industry. Most sawmills / foresters will plant 2 trees for every one they fell to make into house-building materials.

Well, it may be possible (As someone who spent a large chunk of a three year degree immersed in concrete technology I'd be interested to learn how) However, it's never been done and there is no need to since most buildings (particularly in the commercial sector) are built with a 50 odd year lifespan in mind. Why would any architect wish to incorporate such a material into an edifice designed to be demolished in 50 years?

I take your point about a rennaissance of artisanry; it'd be nice to see intricately carved beams and stone gargoyles everywhere but this is purely a matter of aethetics. I fail to see how this would cheapen the construction process and make homes more affordable and available which I thought was your original ambition.
Reply 13
jrhartley
Well - certainly in London, most buy-to-let landlords are probably seeing a yield to current value on their property of around 3-4% pre-tax (i.e. 2%-2.5% post tax at 40%) - so agents are seeing large number of these speculators now selling - obviously if they can get 5% pre-tax risk free from an ING Direct savings account, you don't want to have your capital tied up in a property earning you less than that, with all the hassle of dealing with agents and tenants, repairs, wear & tear, etc.

so the BTL market, particularly in the south-east has cooled off massively to the point where a lot of the properties are coming to the market. buyers at current prices are less than such properties for sale, hence prices are coming down. i predict that this is a trend that will eminate across the whole of the uk.

I still don't follow what you mean by yield. Do you mean in a cash flow sense of the term (ie it costs $1000 a month to own a property which brings in $1030 in rent giving a 3% yield before tax)?
Reply 14
Howard
Well, it may be possible (As someone who spent a large chunk of a three year degree immersed in concrete technology I'd be interested to learn how)

Not my area of expertise, I'm sure there's stuff on this on the web.

Howard
I take your point about a rennaissance of artisanry; it'd be nice to see intricately carved beams and stone gargoyles everywhere but this is purely a matter of aethetics. I fail to see how this would cheapen the construction process and make homes more affordable and available which I thought was your original ambition.

Not at all what I was suggesting about aesthetics. If you're sourcing materials locally you have far lower transport costs, which is good for the cost and the environment, plus the housing stock reflects local materials versus the blandness of shuttered concrete walls. plus there are other considerations than just how cheap it is to put up - running costs, etc. - so you need to think about insulating qualities. concrete structures also tend to require deep foundations owing to their weight, hence they are very invasive into the soil, require lots of digging, deep foundations. this is damaging and expensive - other lighter, better insulated materials can be constructed on top of the existing land, thereby requiring a lot less labour. there are numerous ways to crack a nut - concrete isn't a panacea.

but the discussion was actually meant to be about whether the gov't should be investing itself in housing stock, not how to build that stock!
Reply 15
Howard
I still don't follow what you mean by yield. Do you mean in a cash flow sense of the term (ie it costs $1000 a month to own a property which brings in $1030 in rent giving a 3% yield before tax)?

traditional definition of yield is asset income / asset value, so the value would be the current market value (not the purchase price) and income could be defined as gross (i.e. before expenses) or net (post expenses). Most yields quoted are gross in the UK (i.e. pre-running costs and pre-tax).
Reply 16
jrhartley
concrete structures also tend to require deep foundations owing to their weight, hence they are very invasive into the soil, require lots of digging, deep foundations.

Depends what soil you're building on. Deep strip foundations become uneconomical after a point which is why the industry uses piles, caps, and ground beams when building on shitty soil.
Reply 17
jrhartley
traditional definition of yield is asset income / asset value, so the value would be the current market value (not the purchase price) and income could be defined as gross (i.e. before expenses) or net (post expenses). Most yields quoted are gross in the UK (i.e. pre-running costs and pre-tax).

Can you give me a numeric example? (I'm not being awkward but numbers (a bit like pictures) speak a thousand words!!
Reply 18
Howard
Can you give me a numeric example? (I'm not being awkward but numbers (a bit like pictures) speak a thousand words!!

OK.

E.g. You've had your apartment in London valued at £500,000 for sale. Or the agent tells you you could get £20,000 a year (roughly £385 a week) in rental income. So that's a 4% rental yield (£20,000/£500,000). Clearly that figure's pre-tax, and its before the landlord expenses you are likely to also incur, such as the service charge for the apartment block, wear & tear.

sub 4% is now becoming normal in the London property market as the asset values have increased faster than incomes, so landlords have been unable to increase their rental income in line with the increase in the capital value. as such, many are now selling to use their capital to earn a higher return elsewhere.
Reply 19
jrhartley
OK.

E.g. You've had your apartment in London valued at £500,000 for sale. Or the agent tells you you could get £20,000 a year (roughly £385 a week) in rental income. So that's a 4% rental yield (£20,000/£500,000). Clearly that figure's pre-tax, and its before the landlord expenses you are likely to also incur, such as the service charge for the apartment block, wear & tear.

sub 4% is now becoming normal in the London property market as the asset values have increased faster than incomes, so landlords have been unable to increase their rental income in line with the increase in the capital value. as such, many are now selling to use their capital to earn a higher return elsewhere.

Right. However, you're forgetting leverage and assuming that the building is owned free and clear. Here's how I like to look at it:

If I buy a property for $200k with 20% down I pay $40k and the remainder is leveraged money (bank loan).

Let's assume that my rental income just about covers the cost of furnishing that $160k loan and other obligations as a Landlord (ie there's no positive cash flow) Let's further assume the property increases in value at 10% a year (not exactly an off-the-wall assumption in the UK). After 1 year the property will be worth $220k and my equity will have increased from $40k to $60k (ignoring amortization) So, the return on my investment of $40k is a further $20k after just one year. That's a 50% return on initial investment.

The fact that I havn't make any yield at all (by the traditional defenition) is irrelevent.

Latest

Trending

Trending