The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol accommodation - Manor Hall and 115 Queen's Road

I've been looking at Manor Hall, and think it's absolutely right for me, I just don't like the idea of sharing a kitchen with so many people. I had thought Queen's Road would be the perfect answer, but recently I've had a few reservations about it so if anyone could answer some questions about it, that would be amazing:

1) does it feel isolated from the other Clifton accommodation? I had hoped that it would kind of be absorbed within Manor as it shares Manor's "facilities" (I think this means common room and bar?) and as far as I can tell, it is a part of the Manor Hall Amateur Dramatics/MAD. However, I'm a bit worried that because it's a bit further away from Manor and the other Clifton residences, it might feel a bit isolated.

2) is it any less noisy than larger residences? I had also hoped it would be a bit quieter as it's a smaller accommodation, but it is right opposite the student union...

3) if you were at Manor, how bad were the kitchens?

Any info would be appreciated :smile:
My friend lives at Manor so I can say about the accomodation from what I have heard. You do have to share kitchen with a lot of people. So it can get quite messy at times. She hates the bathroom there as it’s more sort of like many bathroom in a row like gym bathrooms I would say so basically you can hear other people singing. My friend’s flat often did parties or other activities and other people joined too from other floors. It’s quite social if that’s what you’re looking for. I would say not so good for quiet people. I don’t know any one who lives at Queens Road. Is that the name of it?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by Anonymous
My friend lives at Manor so I can say about the accomodation from what I have heard. You do have to share kitchen with a lot of people. So it can get quite messy at times. She hates the bathroom there as it’s more sort of like many bathroom in a row like gym bathrooms I would say so basically you can hear other people singing. My friend’s flat often did parties or other activities and other people joined too from other floors. It’s quite social if that’s what you’re looking for. I would say not so good for quiet people. I don’t know any one who lives at Queens Road. Is that the name of it?

Thank you! Yeah, it's usually called Queen's Road. Thanks for the info about Manor, I guess I'm still figuring out how much of a social hall I want
Original post by amarkswoldm1
I've been looking at Manor Hall, and think it's absolutely right for me, I just don't like the idea of sharing a kitchen with so many people. I had thought Queen's Road would be the perfect answer, but recently I've had a few reservations about it so if anyone could answer some questions about it, that would be amazing:

1) does it feel isolated from the other Clifton accommodation? I had hoped that it would kind of be absorbed within Manor as it shares Manor's "facilities" (I think this means common room and bar?) and as far as I can tell, it is a part of the Manor Hall Amateur Dramatics/MAD. However, I'm a bit worried that because it's a bit further away from Manor and the other Clifton residences, it might feel a bit isolated.

2) is it any less noisy than larger residences? I had also hoped it would be a bit quieter as it's a smaller accommodation, but it is right opposite the student union...

3) if you were at Manor, how bad were the kitchens?

Any info would be appreciated :smile:

Hey! Just wondering which accommodation you got? :smile:
hey I'm currently at manor. kitchens are shared with max 18 people but there's a cleaner twice a week so that makes it slightly more bearable. as long as you don't get a room on the landing or by the entrances to the kitchen you're fine. It is quite loud though (from my experience anyway) so if you're not great with noise or being disrupted during the night as it's quite an open staircase, then I would;dnt recommend it. that being said, it's like a 15 min walk to campus and 20-30 into city centre so it's a good location. as someone who isn't hugely into clubbing, there is deffo a mix of both worlds so wherever you stand you'll be fine. that being said, if you're at the far end of a corridor then the noise you get will be so much less than if you're near the landing (if you get a room on floors 1-3 numbered 12,13 or 14 then assume you're on the landing or right next to it, the further you are from those numbers the further down the corridors you are pretty much)

kitchens are habitable if that's what you're asking. with so many people as long as you clean up your stuff and don't leave it out (also with so many people you don't want people mistaking your things for theirs) then you'll cope ig. if you do pick manor then choose the earliest move in date so you get first pick on cupboards as not everyone can get two, nor can they get good fridge space. I didn't do that and I regret it haha

also manor doesn't have a bar. apparently they shut it and moved it to Clifton hill house but it's been shut down there too for the rest of the year.
Reply 5
hey I'm currently at manor. kitchens are shared with max 18 people but there's a cleaner twice a week so that makes it slightly more bearable. as long as you don't get a room on the landing or by the entrances to the kitchen you're fine. It is quite loud though (from my experience anyway) so if you're not great with noise or being disrupted during the night as it's quite an open staircase, then I would;dnt recommend it. that being said, it's like a 15 min walk to campus and 20-30 into city centre so it's a good location. as someone who isn't hugely into clubbing, there is deffo a mix of both worlds so wherever you stand you'll be fine. that being said, if you're at the far end of a corridor then the noise you get will be so much less than if you're near the landing (if you get a room on floors 1-3 numbered 12,13 or 14 then assume you're on the landing or right next to it, the further you are from those numbers the further down the corridors you are pretty much)

kitchens are habitable if that's what you're asking. with so many people as long as you clean up your stuff and don't leave it out (also with so many people you don't want people mistaking your things for theirs) then you'll cope ig. if you do pick manor then choose the earliest move in date so you get first pick on cupboards as not everyone can get two, nor can they get good fridge space. I didn't do that and I regret it haha

also manor doesn't have a bar. apparently they shut it and moved it to Clifton hill house but it's been shut down there too for the rest of the year.

Hi, can I ask what the room types are for the Main building and Richmond? I don’t want to end up in Sinclair but idk what room type sinclair is is the main building single w a basin standard or is it basic? Thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by orla1964
Hi, can I ask what the room types are for the Main building and Richmond? I don’t want to end up in Sinclair but idk what room type sinclair is is the main building single w a basin standard or is it basic? Thanks!

main manor building is standard singles with a basin. the rooms are massive as far as student accommodation goes. if you're on floor two and not at the far ends of the corridor I believe you get a small balcony thing as well(u can't rlly fit more than 1-2 people on there). floors 4 & 5 have basic layouts which are smaller and have carpet floors opposed to the parquet floors on the floors below. I believe they also have basins. if you get a twin in manor then you have one basin to share (you get separate wardrobes and desks but there isn't any real privacy between the beds). if you get floorboards check for loose ones as you might find a note from the previous tenant (not all rooms have them).
I believe Richmond is en suite but idk for certain as I've never actually been in there so take that with a pinch of salt. thing I have heard about Richmond though is it can be a little isolating because you're further from the main manor building. Richmond does have its own common room and laundry room (although one of them nearly blew up last year which was gold)
Sinclair is basic layout and is more modern. generally standard accom id say; the flats are smaller in numbers but you have to use manor's laundry rooms etc. the walk isn't too far but it's outside so you can't just pop round to check if any washers are free for example. also unless I'm mistaken all Sinclair rooms don't have a basin. so if you put down standard with a basin you should be fine if you dont want Sinclair, but remember your chances are not guaranteed and plenty of people don't get any of their top choices for accom.
Reply 7
main manor building is standard singles with a basin. the rooms are massive as far as student accommodation goes. if you're on floor two and not at the far ends of the corridor I believe you get a small balcony thing as well(u can't rlly fit more than 1-2 people on there). floors 4 & 5 have basic layouts which are smaller and have carpet floors opposed to the parquet floors on the floors below. I believe they also have basins. if you get a twin in manor then you have one basin to share (you get separate wardrobes and desks but there isn't any real privacy between the beds). if you get floorboards check for loose ones as you might find a note from the previous tenant (not all rooms have them).
I believe Richmond is en suite but idk for certain as I've never actually been in there so take that with a pinch of salt. thing I have heard about Richmond though is it can be a little isolating because you're further from the main manor building. Richmond does have its own common room and laundry room (although one of them nearly blew up last year which was gold)
Sinclair is basic layout and is more modern. generally standard accom id say; the flats are smaller in numbers but you have to use manor's laundry rooms etc. the walk isn't too far but it's outside so you can't just pop round to check if any washers are free for example. also unless I'm mistaken all Sinclair rooms don't have a basin. so if you put down standard with a basin you should be fine if you dont want Sinclair, but remember your chances are not guaranteed and plenty of people don't get any of their top choices for accom.

**just realised that you're referring to Richmond house and not Richmond terrace

by the fact I can't see it anywhere on the website I'm assuming that they call Manor House Richmond house. either way, 'Richmond house' - or so I believe - is this detached building next to Sinclair which shares manor's facilities completely and last year was typically filled with exchange or international students from what I heard. I also heard that they had a rat problem last year. as for the room choices, I have no idea purely because it took half a year for us to actually realise where Manor House actually was. it is not en suite and doesn't have a common room unless I'm mistaken. because it is literally a house with individual rooms it does become quite friendly inside but last year we didn't really know anything about them.

(Richmond terrace is en suite and is a completely separate type of accom that happens to share manor's facilities including their JCR (think student council team).)
Reply 8

thank you this is really helpful, i just received my accomodation offer for manor hall! I got standard with a basin and it says there are non carpeted floors in my room so fingers crossed for a big room !
hi, congrats! I'm sure you'll love it there. the room should be big - I'm pretty sure that all the non-carpet ones in manor (not annexes) are spacious so you should be safe. and if you have no carpet, look out for any notes under loose floorboards :wink: if your room has a number 0-3 followed by your room number (1-28 I think) then you're definitely in the main building. congrats again!
Original post by orla1964
thank you this is really helpful, i just received my accomodation offer for manor hall! I got standard with a basin and it says there are non carpeted floors in my room so fingers crossed for a big room !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending