The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

gildartz
Not necessarily, by this stage we already have our GCSEs and unit 1 marks so we can already narrow our choices down by quite a bit. Also, I'm sure everyone has a vague idea of what UKCAT unis they're gonna apply for if they get a good or bad score. Finally, you don't sit the BMAT till after you've submitted your UCAS so you need to know whether you're gonna apply to any BMAT unis beforehand

Woops. You're right about the BMAT and yes you can narrow the list down with GCSEs and Unit 1 (although everyone apart from oxbridge don't see your UMS scores) but that wasn't the point i was making.

About everyone having a 'vague idea' about the UKCAT use by unis, not many people I have talked to in my area seem to. Only a few people seem to know their stuff.

Also a 'bad' UKCAT score may be actually good for some unis.
For example, a 620 average may be seen as bad.
However, say if all your 4 sections are above 600 you get 4/5 points when applying for Leicester, which is pretty good.
However, the same score of 620 would mean that you almost certainly get rejected for places like Sheffield and Newcastle/Durham.
InItToWinItGetIt?
Woops. You're right about the BMAT and yes you can narrow the list down with GCSEs and Unit 1 (although everyone apart from oxbridge don't see your UMS scores) but that wasn't the point i was making.

About everyone having a 'vague idea' about the UKCAT use by unis, not many people I have talked to in my area seem to. Only a few people seem to know their stuff.

Also a 'bad' UKCAT score may be actually good for some unis.
For example, a 620 average may be seen as bad.
However, say if all your 4 sections are above 600 you get 4/5 points when applying for Leicester, which is pretty good.
However, the same score of 620 would mean that you almost certainly get rejected for places like Sheffield and Newcastle/Durham.

I mentioned the unit 1 marks specifically for cambridge because you already have a decent idea of whether applying to cambridge is sensible or not.

I know perfectly well that a good or bad score is entirely relative, however the point I was trying to make is that most people should have some idea of the unis they'll be applying to if they get a good score (good as in meets the cutoffs for the higher-weighting UKCAT unis they're considering, i.e. a good score for someone only considering the fairly low Ukcat-weighting unis will be quite low compared to someone considering Sheffield/Barts/Newcastle etc.) and what unis they'll apply to if they don't. Even if not everyone knows the exact UKCAT requirements for each uni, they should all have some idea of the kind of uni they want to go to, i.e. location, course type, etc. If they have absolutely no clue at this stage then that's quite worrying tbh XD

Also consider that quite a few open days have gone and now quite a lot of people have had the opportunity of seeing the unis for themselves, so it's not entirely shocking that people have a decent idea of where they will be applying to now, but obviously most people will be waiting till the UKCAT before knowing what 4 unis they will apply to.
Reply 1142
spacepirate-James
Anyone know how to integrate sin4x/sin2x?

sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x

So sin4x/sin2x = 2cos2x
Noble.
sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x

So sin4x/sin2x = 2cos2x

Can I just have you in my maths exam? In my pocket?

Hey all, think I've posted in this thread before but I have forgotten...
GCSE wise I have 4 A*'s, 7A's, 4 B's and 1 C.
My first set of unit 1 results weren't fantastic, but equally not terrible, I forget the marks. I'm resitting chemistry unit 1 this week though.
I'm doing an OU short science course over the summer; 'Molecules, Medicines and Drugs'.
Volunteering wise, I have a place with the Red Cross doing event first aid lined up. I have a severe lack of care-based volunteering and work experience though, not for lack of trying...
Sent off a form for a UKCAT bursary, hoping to book for mid August time.
Thinking about (obviously this is only a first glance, results will dictate which I take up in the end) Keele, Leicester, UEA, Southampton for unis.

Back to revision I think :biggrin:
gildartz
I mentioned the unit 1 marks specifically for cambridge because you already have a decent idea of whether applying to cambridge is sensible or not.

I know perfectly well that a good or bad score is entirely relative, however the point I was trying to make is that most people should have some idea of the unis they'll be applying to if they get a good score (good as in meets the cutoffs for the higher-weighting UKCAT unis they're considering, i.e. a good score for someone only considering the fairly low Ukcat-weighting unis will be quite low compared to someone considering Sheffield/Barts/Newcastle etc.) and what unis they'll apply to if they don't. Even if not everyone knows the exact UKCAT requirements for each uni, they should all have some idea of the kind of uni they want to go to, i.e. location, course type, etc. If they have absolutely no clue at this stage then that's quite worrying tbh XD

Also consider that quite a few open days have gone and now quite a lot of people have had the opportunity of seeing the unis for themselves, so it's not entirely shocking that people have a decent idea of where they will be applying to now, but obviously most people will be waiting till the UKCAT before knowing what 4 unis they will apply to.

I agree with what you have said but I still feel that it is jumping the gun to have decided where you want to apply.
It's ok to have an idea but there are a lot of people out there who have already decided where they are going to apply based on the course type and location.
I am not going to say they are not important bcoz they are important as you are potentially going to spend the next 5 years of your life there, but it can be argued that where you apply will (or rather should) depend on your UKCAT score and GCSEs (mainly UKCAT).
Yes a vague list is ok as I have made one myself but you just can't decide on the location and type of course which (like i said before) means I have no idea where I am going to apply.
Noble.
sin4x = 2sin2xcos2x

So sin4x/sin2x = 2cos2x

looks like somebody has been revising. :p:
I see you do further maths, is it hard and if so how hard compared to A2?
Reply 1147
Helllloooooooooo
Another hopeful medic :smile:
How's everyone exams going so far?
InItToWinItGetIt?
I agree with what you have said but I still feel that it is jumping the gun to have decided where you want to apply.
It's ok to have an idea but there are a lot of people out there who have already decided where they are going to apply based on the course type and location.
I am not going to say they are not important bcoz they are important as you are potentially going to spend the next 5 years of your life there, but it can be argued that where you apply will (or rather should) depend on your UKCAT score and GCSEs (mainly UKCAT).
Yes a vague list is ok as I have made one myself but you just can't decide on the location and type of course which (like i said before) means I have no idea where I am going to apply.

lol, I think we both agree with each other but we're arguing just for the sake of it :p:
Reply 1149
I thought I'd join you all in the horrible journey.

I'm 22, my GCSE's are rubbish ( 5A's, 4B's 2C's) but then again it was nearly 7 yrs ago when I took those.

I worked in hotel reception for 2 yrs then as a Microbiologist for 1 yr, just gone back to do A-Levels (Maths, H Biology, Chemistry this year, then Gonna add Psychology and maybe f.maths next year)

I do British Red Cross First Aid Volunteering, I volunteer on a hospital surgical ward every week, and have a paid job at a hospital as a medical lab assistant - I will be shadowing some of the docs from there over summer, and I'm TRYING to get trained in phlebotomy too.

I got 120/120 UMS in my HBio1 exam, I got 84/100 In my Chem1 ( :frown: )

I am definitely applying to Manchester as I'm on the Manchester access programme, so they will receive my essay from that which is on T-Cell depleted bone marrow transplants, and I get a lowered offer and a practice UCAS form, yay!

I was going to apply to Barts but I visited recently and was underwhelmed - I'll see how my UKCAT is.

UCL is on the list, as is BSMS, Keele because it's quite cute and also very handy, Peninsula is also in the running, need to visit a couple still, and get the results for the evil UKCAT!!
Jadio
I thought I'd join you all in the horrible journey.

I'm 22, my GCSE's are rubbish ( 5A's, 4B's 2C's) but then again it was nearly 7 yrs ago when I took those.

I worked in hotel reception for 2 yrs then as a Microbiologist for 1 yr, just gone back to do A-Levels (Maths, H Biology, Chemistry this year, then Gonna add Psychology and maybe f.maths next year)

I do British Red Cross First Aid Volunteering, I volunteer on a hospital surgical ward every week, and have a paid job at a hospital as a medical lab assistant - I will be shadowing some of the docs from there over summer, and I'm TRYING to get trained in phlebotomy too.

I got 120/120 UMS in my HBio1 exam, I got 84/100 In my Chem1 ( :frown: )

I am definitely applying to Manchester as I'm on the Manchester access programme, so they will receive my essay from that which is on T-Cell depleted bone marrow transplants, and I get a lowered offer and a practice UCAS form, yay!

I was going to apply to Barts but I visited recently and was underwhelmed - I'll see how my UKCAT is.

UCL is on the list, as is BSMS, Keele because it's quite cute and also very handy, Peninsula is also in the running, need to visit a couple still, and get the results for the evil UKCAT!!

Wow...I'm just gonna leave now...

That just made me feel like such a fraud :frown:
*joins in* Graduate applicant over here *waves*
apotoftea

yo!
:shakehand:
:party:
integral of sin4x is -1/4cos4x :|
oh i misread the question oops! :O
Reply 1155
apotoftea

Hallooo! Welcome to the oldie club! What is your first degree in?
gildartz
lol, I think we both agree with each other but we're arguing just for the sake of it :p:

Awww i was having fun :frown:. I don't have much fun these days :p:
mtgsgirl
Helllloooooooooo
Another hopeful medic :smile:
How's everyone exams going so far?

Omgggg another hopeful medic!! They seem to be everywhere lol :p:
Mine haven't started they start next wednesday. :biggrin:
How are urs going?
exams start tomorrow, dammit!
I'm really worried about my history exam next week >_<

InItToWinItGetIt?
Awww i was having fun :frown:. I don't have much fun these days :p:

there are loads of other ways of having fun, like watching some certain graphic videos

Spoiler

Reply 1159
InItToWinItGetIt?
Omgggg another hopeful medic!! They seem to be everywhere lol :p:
Mine haven't started they start next wednesday. :biggrin:
How are urs going?

Oh i know!, everywhere you turn on tsr there's a hopeful medic :P
i had general studies yesterday so i guess my exams have started kinda, i just want them over to be honest :biggrin:
what exam have you got?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending