The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

vandiola
OK, I really want to apply to Imperial, and there was a talk at my school about studying Medicine. The woman said they wouldn't really consider you if you dont have 3 Sciences at A level (I only have 2), and they hardly ever give interviews to students at my school. So I'm thinking is there any point on applying there.

and who exactly is this woman...?
Reply 1181
vandiola
OK, I really want to apply to Imperial, and there was a talk at my school about studying Medicine. The woman said they wouldn't really consider you if you dont have 3 Sciences at A level (I only have 2), and they hardly ever give interviews to students at my school. So I'm thinking is there any point on applying there.

I'd be interested to hear your sources on this one. Was the woman affiliated with Imperial? Involved in the admissions process? I also only have 2 sciences applying to medicine, but this is news to me.
vandiola

Was the woman from Imperial, otherwise I'd be inclined to ignore her. If you're still worried, I'd contact Imperial directly and ask if you'd be at a disadvantage.
If they don't give interviews to students at your school, that's because they might have received better applicants from other schools, if you were to write a good ps, get good grades ect, you'd stand a good chance of being invited to interview (other factors depending of course!)
I emailed the admission co-ordinator at Manchester about work experience and she said....

''We ask that work experience is something at least once a week for approximately a year.'' :eek:

Do they actually expect people to do volunteering for a 1yr? That's pushing it a bit isn't it?

What is more annoying is that come application time (i.e. September/October) I will have 11 months of volunteering.

Do you think I'll be fine or will they enforce the 12 months minimum limit?

Do you think other unis will plan a similar 'minimum limit'?
Has anyone seen the new pre-medical requirements for UCL?!?!? :O
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf
Surely, they can't do that, its normal protocol for my school to enter us in January exams, meaning i would have less than 9 exams in summer 2011 :s-smilie:
InItToWinItGetIt?
I emailed the admission co-ordinator at Manchester about work experience and she said....

''We ask that work experience is something at least once a week for approximately a year.'' :eek:

Do they actually expect people to do volunteering for a 1yr? That's pushing it a bit isn't it?

What is more annoying is that come application time (i.e. September/October) I will have 11 months of volunteering.

I don't want to sound patronising....but a years volunteering once a week is not really that much. I had 4 years. Although I doubt they will put a strict limit as such....
InItToWinItGetIt?

Things might have changed from last year, I don't know, but I applied to Manchester and in my feedback (rejected due to UKCAT) it said that I had "very impressive" work experience, I had only done 3 lots of 2 day placements and about 2 months weekly volunteering.
I'm pretty sure there won't be a strict time limit, but just check up on that to be sure :smile:
And about the other unis... although they do like to see commitment through volunteering on a regular basis, to be honest it's more about what you can show you've learned than how much work experience you have.
Reply 1187
I've spoken to the Manchester admissions tutors several times, and been to a few med talks by them (I live in Manchester and I'm in the Manchester Access Programme)

You don't need 12 months, they just like to see that you've made an effort, you know about the job, and you are good with people - like most other places.

11 months won't be a problem for you, I'm sure of it.
Reply 1188
hunter'sdaughter
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medicalschool/mbbs-admissions/entry-requirements/MBBS_Entry_Requirements.pdf
Surely, they can't do that, its normal protocol for my school to enter us in January exams, meaning i would have less than 9 exams in summer 2011 :s-smilie:

Oh crap
Jadio
I've spoken to the Manchester admissions tutors several times, and been to a few med talks by them (I live in Manchester and I'm in the Manchester Access Programme)

You don't need 12 months, they just like to see that you've made an effort, you know about the job, and you are good with people - like most other places.

11 months won't be a problem for you, I'm sure of it.

I don't know how much I should read into the email but one of my friends got told the same thing when he asked. Maybe they changed the requirements for 2011 entry?
Maybe they're being picky like UCL to cut down the applicants lol.
hunter'sdaughter

That is the biggest load of ******** I've ever seen in my life. How can you stop people from taking Jan exams? What about those doing AQA sciences - do the ISAs count as summer exams because they're sent off in May? Proves the competition of medicine is getting ridiculous.
xconfetti
Things might have changed from last year, I don't know, but I applied to Manchester and in my feedback (rejected due to UKCAT) it said that I had "very impressive" work experience, I had only done 3 lots of 2 day placements and about 2 months weekly volunteering.
I'm pretty sure there won't be a strict time limit, but just check up on that to be sure :smile:
And about the other unis... although they do like to see commitment through volunteering on a regular basis, to be honest it's more about what you can show you've learned than how much work experience you have.

Aww I'm sorry to hear you got rejected. I assume you are reapplying this year.
It's really annoying that they are basing interviews on UKCAT.
If you don't mind me asking what did u get? I want an idea of what score is needed to stand a realistic chance.
felt_monkey
That is the biggest load of ******** I've ever seen in my life. How can you stop people from taking Jan exams? What about those doing AQA sciences - do the ISAs count as summer exams because they're sent off in May? Proves the competition of medicine is getting ridiculous.

Don't know about ISAs but according to them it is meant to replicate what med school will be like.
Well 1 less uni to worry about for me. My list is narrowing :biggrin:
Jadio
Oh crap

my sentiments exactly. :frown:
Aahh I'm feeling immensely pessimistic about my chances for Medicine now...AS exams just depress me! Especially Maths, I've always been good at Maths but that M1 exam just got me! I doubt I'll get an A in Maths now, which is annoying bc most medical applicants will have straight A's :frown:

Damn you all clever people. Damn you all! :P
Iheartnerds
Aahh I'm feeling immensely pessimistic about my chances for Medicine now...AS exams just depress me! Especially Maths, I've always been good at Maths but that M1 exam just got me! I doubt I'll get an A in Maths now, which is annoying bc most medical applicants will have straight A's :frown:

a bit contrary to your username :biggrin:
Iheartnerds

So long as you can get 3 As in the other subjects, try not to worry. I got a B in maths at AS, so I just dropped it.
Reply 1197
:wavey: Haven't posted in here for a while.

gildartz
-

How you been coconut? Failed your AS exams yet? :biggrin:
Narik
:wavey: Haven't posted in here for a while.

How you been coconut? Failed your AS exams yet? :biggrin:

i've been good, british curry.

I'm preparing to fail them starting tomorrow with history for your information, yourself?
Reply 1199
gildartz
i've been good, british curry.

I'm preparing to fail them starting tomorrow with history for your information, yourself?

British curry? That's new. :rofl: :ahee:
Erm...I'm quite lucky that I can fail these exams pretty epically and still end up with As, so I'm chillin'. :borat:
Good luck with History tommorow...

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending