The Student Room Group

2011 Entry- Hopeful Medic Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

red_roses123
Congratz thats really good, I have no chance.

How do you edit the title?

I really was expecting AAAA/B OR C

I am now really stressed about UKCAT and P.S. :woo:

I'm not complaining but.

Don't forget, ur results r still amazing.
garlicbreadman
I really was expecting AAAA/B OR C

I am now really stressed about UKCAT and P.S. :woo:

I'm not complaining but.

Don't forget, ur results r still amazing.

yeh I knw, thanks :smile:
superG123
You seem pretty knowledgable about universities and their GCSE requirements, Do you know if UCL/imperial/Leeds/Manchester look at GCSE's much? Mine aren't brilliant but i hope to get at least one A* at A level so surely that balances it out?
I am uber stressed

It depends on what your GCSEs are. Opinion is subjective. Some universities are complete GCSE whores where as some will allow some balance by points. I can't give you any reccomendations untill I know what they are.

For me, leads was unrealistic I would have needed to attain ~22/24 on my personal statement/reference etc to balance out the academic side of my application. Despite the fact I had AAAA at AS level and predictions of AAA. So they are semi-interested in GCSEs, but in no way impossible. Just a very risky choice.

UCL and Imperial are both BMAT univeristies so I would assume a nice score there would have balanced it out. I think Imperial have a BMAT cut off but I'm not entirely sure. I know for a fact however that UCL do not have any kind of GCSE "cut off" per se, as I've seen a few low number A* GCSE candidates with offers.

Manchester I don't know enough about to make a valid reccomendation. I dismissed it do to it's massive PBL content.
I'm hoping to apply for 2011 entry too. Got AAAAB with the B in English but I'm still hoping to appeal that (I've been getting 23/25s in essays all year so I'm guessing it's been the close reading that has let me down).

Started my PS last month and it's coming along quite nicely - about 25 lines too long though so LOTS of editing to be done!! UKCAT is booked for the 21st August and now I'm a bit worried since I'll have to get a really good score to compensate for the B.

Good luck to everyone else applying and well done on the results! :biggrin:
RollerBall
It depends on what your GCSEs are. Opinion is subjective. Some universities are complete GCSE whores where as some will allow some balance by points. I can't give you any reccomendations untill I know what they are.

For me, leads was unrealistic I would have needed to attain ~22/24 on my personal statement/reference etc to balance out the academic side of my application. Despite the fact I had AAAA at AS level and predictions of AAA. So they are semi-interested in GCSEs, but in no way impossible. Just a very risky choice.

UCL and Imperial are both BMAT univeristies so I would assume a nice score there would have balanced it out. I think Imperial have a BMAT cut off but I'm not entirely sure. I know for a fact however that UCL do not have any kind of GCSE "cut off" per se, as I've seen a few low number A* GCSE candidates with offers.

Manchester I don't know enough about to make a valid reccomendation. I dismissed it do to it's massive PBL content.

What do Leeds assess your application on? What criteria? I know they don't use the UKCAT much and apparently you need 3A*s to be considered. One of my friends had less than 3A*s and he got rejected due to academics. That's about all I know on Leeds.

Thanks in advance.
Georgie Doll
I'm hoping to apply for 2011 entry too. Got AAAAB with the B in English but I'm still hoping to appeal that (I've been getting 23/25s in essays all year so I'm guessing it's been the close reading that has let me down).

Started my PS last month and it's coming along quite nicely - about 25 lines too long though so LOTS of editing to be done!! UKCAT is booked for the 21st August and now I'm a bit worried since I'll have to get a really good score to compensate for the B.

How much UKCAT practise you done?

And how on Earth did you start off your P.S.

I don't know where to start or even whether I have enough stuff for it :woo: :eek3: :frown: :biggrin:
Georgie Doll

Everyone has better results than me, AAAAC but I am still gonna try my best to get into medicine.
I have started my p.s too and it is far too long aswell and I have more things still to write.
I am about to book my ukcat test now.
so with 10 A's and 2 B's, where am i likely to get in?
Georgie Doll

You know when you book the ukcat test they take £60 for it but if u get ema u get it free so do they give u the money back, how does it work?
red_roses123
Everyone has better results than me, AAAAC but I am still gonna try my best to get into medicine.
I have started my p.s too and it is far too long aswell and I have more things still to write.
I am about to book my ukcat test now.

How much UKCAT practise u done?
How much UKCAT practise has everyone done?

I am fretting about that now!
RollerBall

Oh thank you :smile: i have 5 A*s 5 A's a B and a C, honestly do think these are bad? :frown:
garlicbreadman
How much UKCAT practise you done?

And how on Earth did you start off your P.S.

I don't know where to start or even whether I have enough stuff for it :woo: :eek3: :frown: :biggrin:

I've been (trying) to do about 45 mins - 1 hour a day for the last two weeks but tbh it just gets soooo boring! I'm struggling with the QR and the AR in the 600 Q's book the most, they're just evil :frown:

Starting the PS was really difficult! What I did was just write a basic paragraph on work experience and another one on volunteering then went back and wrote a sort of introduction which is a bit too cheesy if I'm honest (it's not too long though since I need all the space I can get!). And trust me, you'll end up with too much stuff and end up cutting bits out that you don't want to! The problem for me is that I don't want to sound too arrogant...

red_roses123 my friend's brother actually got into Aberdeen to do medicine with AAAAC (with the C in English) two years ago - so it's definitely possible :yep:
RollerBall

Gappy like me I guess, I remember you :gah:

Imperial had a cut-off of 4.7 - 4.7 - 7.5 which means anyone below that score was rejected.

UCL had a different system by which anyone above 5 - 5 - 9 was guaranteed an interview.

BMAT is too risky, I won't be doing it this time round.
garlicbreadman
How much UKCAT practise has everyone done?

I am fretting about that now!

When r we all going to stop worrying on this thing nw LOL.
chemistryhater
i hope im not !!!
i don't think i messed up that much, the reason why i couldnt get any A* is because i had to do work for ore subjects

e.g if someones getting 5A* and 5As, i shud be just as decent because ive got 2 more GCSEs..

No. That's not fair because 5A* and 5A's are better than 10 A's and 2 B's, that's how it'll always be because A* is a higher grade and 10 GCSEs is still a lot (obviously not by TSR standards)

but i guess i have no control over the decisions on GCSEs when it comes to admission..

but what do you think guys? 10As , 2Bs? could i be a medical student u reckon?

Yes, you could be a medical student, just look at uni's that have lower GCSE requirements so you don't get caught out unfairly and be wise in your medical shcool choice
Do you think it is too late to start practising now to do well in the UKCAT?
InItToWinItGetIt?
What do Leeds assess your application on? What criteria? I know they don't use the UKCAT much and apparently you need 3A*s to be considered. One of my friends had less than 3A*s and he got rejected due to academics. That's about all I know on Leeds.

Thanks in advance.

They have two scores, one for academics and reference, one for personal application. I'm not entirely sure of how they score each because they don't release it. The Academics/reference score is out of 22 and the personal statement score is out of 24. The cut off for interview is usualy around 38/42, or 90% over your application.

Either way, with your GCSEs you're fine.

superG123
Oh thank you :smile: i have 5 A*s 5 A's a B and a C, honestly do think these are bad? :frown:

No, those are good GCSEs, I've never said they were bad. There are few places you'd be prevented to applying to.
In2deep
Gappy like me I guess, I remember you :gah:

Imperial had a cut-off of 4.7 - 4.7 - 7.5 which means anyone below that score was rejected.

UCL had a different system by which anyone above 5 - 5 - 9 was guaranteed an interview.

BMAT is too risky, I won't be doing it this time round.

I'm not gapping, I just was flicking through threads and thought I'd share my experiences of the application process. I didn't apply to Leeds because a rejection was probable.
RollerBall
They have two scores, one for academics and reference, one for personal application. I'm not entirely sure of how they score each because they don't release it. The Academics/reference score is out of 22 and the personal statement score is out of 24. The cut off for interview is usualy around 38/42, or 90% over your application.

Either way, with your GCSEs you're fine.

WOW that's a pretty high score to get.
Do they like it if you have a paid job along with voluntary positions? Anyway that is what I have heard from a few friends.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending