The Student Room Group

Physics or Engineering?

Hello; my first post so be kind :smile:

Great forum by the way :tsr: (that should get me in the good books *coughs*)

Anyway, I am currently coming towards my AS Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry Exams (Age 20, eep!). At the beginning of the Year I was fully set on studying MPhys Theoretical Physics, but as I continue through the year and think more I have been leaning towards Physics, now that I look at University courses I am thinking of Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering... (Durham University is my first option) :banghead:

Its quite a pickle, I wasn't particularly bothered about a good job at the end of my Degree but with a baby on the way I really have to start thinking.

I need lots of information to clog my brain about what the difficulty is like for each Degree listed above.

I am predicted ~AAA, and plan to be taking AS Further Mathematics next year also.
Reply 1
The_Kangaroo
Hello; my first post so be kind :smile:

Great forum by the way :tsr: (that should get me in the good books *coughs*)

Anyway, I am currently coming towards my AS Physics, Mathematics and Chemistry Exams (Age 20, eep!). At the beginning of the Year I was fully set on studying MPhys Theoretical Physics, but as I continue through the year and think more I have been leaning towards Physics, now that I look at University courses I am thinking of Mechanical/Aeronautical Engineering... (Durham University is my first option) :banghead:

Its quite a pickle, I wasn't particularly bothered about a good job at the end of my Degree but with a baby on the way I really have to start thinking.

I need lots of information to clog my brain about what the difficulty is like for each Degree listed above.

I am predicted ~AAA, and plan to be taking AS Further Mathematics next year also.

I'm at durham studying chemistry but chnaging to chem+maths next yr, engineering is harder, well from what people say, whichever you choose you will be able to earn large amounts of money if you do well.
Reply 2
I really don't enjoy chemistry, I find it way too challenging (and boring... ) - my expected A Grade did not come easy... My chemistry teacher is great though, by far my favourite teacher :smile:

Also I will probably have to commute from where I currently live (takes about 45 minutes), what is a typical week like? Time start and finish for each day of the week?
Reply 3
The_Kangaroo
I really don't enjoy chemistry, I find it way too challenging (and boring... ) - my expected A Grade did not come easy... My chemistry teacher is great though, by far my favourite teacher :smile:

Also I will probably have to commute from where I currently live (takes about 45 minutes), what is a typical week like? Time start and finish for each day of the week?

Your start and finish will be different each day but first lectures are at 9.00 and the last one finishes at 6.15 my days this year didnt start before 10, usually 11 but on monday 2.15, but there are often large gaps like i used to have a lecture at 10 on tursday, another at 1.15 then labs at 3.15-6.15, bearing in mind lectures are 50mins
The_Kangaroo

I am at Durham studying physics so i can tell you what a week is typically like. Of course next years timetable will be different though.

I started at 9 everyday except monday (Where I started at 10). You will have three hours of labs once a week and 3 1-hour tutorials a week (1 physics and 2 maths). There are 14 lectures in a week usually. Most of the lectures are packed into the morning with the tutorials and labs mainly in the afternoon (Although this differs from person to person, I had one tutorial at 9 on a wednesday).

I think engineers have a fuller timetable, but i don't know about it being harder. This year was pretty damn hard, although if you are predicted AAA and you work you should not have a problem

Feel free to ask anymore questions :smile:
Reply 5
people - where has Chemist boy gone?
Physics (Durham anyway) gets lot less time consuming after 1st year. However, the difficulty rises to cock-crunchingly hard in some modules.

By comparison, engineering isn't as tough on the mathematics skills and such, but you have to put in a hell of a lot more hours throughout your degree.

Engineers at Durham are worked like bitches.

Latest

Trending

Trending