The Student Room Group

becoming a civil engineer after a-level product design?

hi, I've just done my gcses going into a-level I was wondering if I could get a civil engineering or any engineering degree after I do a-level product design or do I have to include math as an a-level subject, as any sciences aren't an option for me.
Reply 1
Original post by itzawa5322
hi, I've just done my gcses going into a-level I was wondering if I could get a civil engineering or any engineering degree after I do a-level product design or do I have to include math as an a-level subject, as any sciences aren't an option for me.

i am in the same situation, i have an interest in a engineering degree and about to go into sixth form but i also want to study art and spanish, and not maths or physics. im hoping some universities will take us on without maths or science
Reply 2
Original post by foaze
i am in the same situation, i have an interest in a engineering degree and about to go into sixth form but i also want to study art and spanish, and not maths or physics. im hoping some universities will take us on without maths or science

Fingers crossed we’ll both get an opportunity to do so, if that’s not possible maths tuition it is 😭
(edited 8 months ago)

At Lancaster University, the Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, and Nuclear Engineering courses all require both math and a Physical Science as a-level subjects, so you cannot get into any of them if you don't study any sciences.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)
Reply 4
thank you very much, this was helpful for what subjects I need:smile: (Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador)At Lancaster University, the Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electronic and Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronic Engineering, and Nuclear Engineering courses all require both math and a Physical Science as a-level subjects, so you cannot get into any of them if you don't study any sciences.

-Kao (Lancaster Maths & Stats Student Ambassador)

To clarify, you have A-level maths and A-level product design? What other subjects do you have?
Hi there,

I believe most universitities will require an A-level in maths for a civil engineering degree. Physics can be helpful but is not necessarily a requirement. These will vary from uni to uni however, i would strongly recommend taking maths to go into any discipline of engineering.

Good luck!
- Sophie (uni of Bath)
Reply 7

Why don't you look into civil engineering apprenticeships? They're a better option than university anyway, and they are more flexible with their requirements so you might get in without maths.
Reply 8
Original post by Smack
To clarify, you have A-level maths and A-level product design? What other subjects do you have?

Product design, business, sociology
Reply 9
Original post by Mara1680
Why don't you look into civil engineering apprenticeships? They're a better option than university anyway, and they are more flexible with their requirements so you might get in without maths.

Oh wow, I didn’t think of that thank you so much!! I’ll look into some in my area.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 10
Oh wow, I didn’t think of that thank you so much!! I’ll look into some in my area.

No problem, glad I could help. There is a lot of info on apprenticeships and the recruitment works differently to university applications so if you have any questions let me know. I don't work in civil but I'm doing a degree apprenticeship in manufacturing engineering so I can probably answer some of the questions you might have.
Reply 11
Original post by Mara1680
No problem, glad I could help. There is a lot of info on apprenticeships and the recruitment works differently to university applications so if you have any questions let me know. I don't work in civil but I'm doing a degree apprenticeship in manufacturing engineering so I can probably answer some of the questions you might have.

I’ll keep in contact if there are any specifics about getting into engineering or anything I may not be able to find on the internet, thank you again!!!
Original post by foaze
Hate to say this, but Engineering is all about Maths & Physics, and if you don't excel in these subjects it will be very hard, if not impossible to persue a career in Engineering. My son is persuing a degree civil engineering apprenticeships, he will need a min of 112 ucas points (A Level Maths, Physics and Design Engineering) for the majority of the major organisations (Arup, WSP, Jacobs etc), I've even seen q company looking for 3 x grade A Levels as a minimum 🙄 Good luck in whatever you decide on 👍

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending