The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Square
Two of my academic brothers are older than my academic dad.

im quite tempted to adopt kids this year just for ***** and giggles. my raisin reciept idea: a huge block of ice with razorblades inside, they have to get from morissons to the quad before it melts and they get cut?

i also feel i got off quite lightly on raisin sunday, i was vomiting by 2pm, which wasnt bad considering i saw half a dozen people passed out and vomitting in the gutter at 10am. Being woken up at 7am with a bottle of vodka is pretty common.

The iceblock sounds like something out of a Saw film. But can you have mates that are also academic brothers/sisters or do they have to be complete strangers to you?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Oxy
The iceblock sounds like something out of a Saw film. But can you have mates that are also academic brothers/sisters or do they have to be complete strangers to you?

My friend(and flatmate) is my academic sister. Two of my daughters last year were roomates. As long as your mum/dad is willilng to adopt you all then of course you can be brothers/sisters. Also, lots of people become friends through being brothers/sisters.
Reply 102
Oxy

i only knew one of my academic siblings before we were adopted. I'm now quite good friends with most of my academic family. So basically we were all strangers, but everyone is in the same boat so you get to know each other quite quickly.
Oxy

I knew one of my academic sisters on my mums side (got to know her when we were on the Sutton Trust summer school in 2007)...well actually my whole family, both sisters and mum were ex-suttontrust summer schoolers, just Clare I knew quite well... and my only sibling on my dads side is my best friend at uni, and is a flatmate too :smile:
Academic Incest is clearly frowned upon!
Reply 105
DeadChicken
Academic Incest is clearly frowned upon!

Uhm, no it's not...? o_O
M_E_X
Uhm, no it's not...? o_O

Sorry, I forgot sarcasm fails on the internet!
Reply 107
Oxy
From your results, if you theoretically sat them next summer would you of got any A*'s?

I'm not sure how the A*s work, but if its simply a % cut off, say 90, then I think so, but barely. I got practically full marks last year in english and rs, but dropped quite a few in both this year. I've no faith in the A level syllabus or marking, so hardly consider AAA an achievement. My Hamlet essay was marked as an A level B, whilst my AEA essay which incorporated a lot of similarly minded ideas was given a distinction. I really do consider the marking a lottery, and the papers themselves are just as tedious and university offers may as well be drawn out of a hat from what I've seen. Glad to be getting away form it all.
Reply 108
Real Deep
I'm not sure how the A*s work, but if its simply a % cut off, say 90, then I think so, but barely. I got practically full marks last year in english and rs, but dropped quite a few in both this year. I've no faith in the A level syllabus or marking, so hardly consider AAA an achievement. My Hamlet essay was marked as an A level B, whilst my AEA essay which incorporated a lot of similarly minded ideas was given a distinction. I really do consider the marking a lottery, and the papers themselves are just as tedious and university offers may as well be drawn out of a hat from what I've seen. Glad to be getting away form it all.

Yeah same, everyone I talk to seems to be making a big fuss about it (my grades) and wonder why I'm not happier about them. It was merely to get me into university. All you need for an A* is an A at AS-level then 270/300 for all your A2 units.
Reply 109
I'm not sure you need an A at AS - just an A overall and then the 270/300 - could be wrong?

Latest

Trending

Trending