The Student Room Group

IB-KCL offer-narrowly missed conditions

International Ib student here- had a predicted 44 but scored 38 in exams. My offer for KCL law is on hold-achieved total conditions but off by three points for HL subjects- 766 required...655 achieved. I also have a lnat score of 30. Have also sent 2 subjects for remarking...

Uni has asked me to wait till A level results....but am anxious and stressed out. I can't check out clearing nor do i have any confirmation of offer....so really frustrated.

Has anyone seen them making considerations? Specially this year given the global negative trend of ib scores (except maybe in the uk)?
If i wait it out....what if i miss out on clearing vacancies?
Have you notified them of the remark?

What is your insurance offer/university? Would you be happy with that?
Reply 2
Original post by PQ
Have you notified them of the remark?

What is your insurance offer/university? Would you be happy with that?

I have, they told me to wait till A-level results and that they are monitoring the situation. My insurance uni is a local one in my country... which isn't the most reliable. Trying to amass as many options as possible at this point...
Reply 3
Original post by Noctkul
International Ib student here- had a predicted 44 but scored 38 in exams. My offer for KCL law is on hold-achieved total conditions but off by three points for HL subjects- 766 required...655 achieved. I also have a lnat score of 30. Have also sent 2 subjects for remarking...

Uni has asked me to wait till A level results....but am anxious and stressed out. I can't check out clearing nor do i have any confirmation of offer....so really frustrated.

Has anyone seen them making considerations? Specially this year given the global negative trend of ib scores (except maybe in the uk)?
If i wait it out....what if i miss out on clearing vacancies?

I really don't have much help, but I have a question, why are they making you wait till results day if you're waiting for a remark? Unless your remark will be received on the day of results day.

Regardless, I doubt you will be missing out on clearing vacancies. Plenty will be there on results day.
Original post by efijier
I really don't have much help, but I have a question, why are they making you wait till results day if you're waiting for a remark? Unless your remark will be received on the day of results day.

Regardless, I doubt you will be missing out on clearing vacancies. Plenty will be there on results day.

It is very common for universities to put misses on hold until A level results day. It happens every year, Universities dont know how many students have met their grades until then and A level students form the bulk of their students. When all the results are in the university will either have met their numbers in which case all students who havent met their offers will be rejected or they will still have places and they then decide which nearest misses they will accept.

Most leading universities dont release their clearing places until the evening before A level results day as they have been waiting for the above process.

Generally top universities dont end up in clearing but several lower graded RG universities and others do. You will need to ring around quickly on A level results day to try and get an offer if that is necessary.
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
It is very common for universities to put misses on hold until A level results day. It happens every year, Universities dont know how many students have met their grades until then and A level students form the bulk of their students. When all the results are in the university will either have met their numbers in which case all students who havent met their offers will be rejected or they will still have places and they then decide which nearest misses they will accept.

Most leading universities dont release their clearing places until the evening before A level results day as they have been waiting for the above process.

Generally top universities dont end up in clearing but several lower graded RG universities and others do. You will need to ring around quickly on A level results day to try and get an offer if that is necessary.

Even for a course as competitive as Law, in KCL gets put on hold? Is it that likely that there will be spaces left for someone who's missed their conditions
Original post by efijier
Even for a course as competitive as Law, in KCL gets put on hold? Is it that likely that there will be spaces left for someone who's missed their conditions

I dont think anyone can tell. Maybe more students than expected could miss their grades.
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
I dont think anyone can tell. Maybe more students than expected could miss their grades.

Yeah as far as I know, IB results worldwide have tanked this years and lots of students have missed their conditions. Does anyone know if there is similar trend for A-level results expected this year? Maybe as a result of going to pre-pandemic standards?
Reply 8
Original post by Noctkul
Yeah as far as I know, IB results worldwide have tanked this years and lots of students have missed their conditions.

This is what I have heard about my school cohort too. :frown: But I do not believe that every case is the same. Some misses must have less impact than others e.g. when the miss is NOT a HL needed for the undergrad course or that the course is less competitive. That said, there is a student in my cohort who missed a 7 in HL Math AA for Engrg, had her place confirmed by her firm choice, I think because her overall IB score far exceeds the minimum required.

Universities need to try to fill their places. So when there are a lot of misses, they still have to decide to what extent they can lower their requirements to confirm places. It was really only after results day was I able to appreciate why some universities give out conditional offers to applicants whose predicted grades far, far exceed minimum requirements (why predicted grades meeting minimum requirements is not enough).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending