The Student Room Group

Clearing Places

Just wondering, is it likely that if a certain course from certain unis aren’t in clearing right now, that they will be on results day? (If they reject some people etc.)
I’m applying with having my results already through clearing, but I don’t know if I should just wait till results day to see if certain unis’ courses will end up in clearing then.
Thanks!
Reply 1
(Original post by nia_03_s)Just wondering, is it likely that if a certain course from certain unis aren’t in clearing right now, that they will be on results day? (If they reject some people etc.)
I’m applying with having my results already through clearing, but I don’t know if I should just wait till results day to see if certain unis’ courses will end up in clearing then.
Thanks!

You have your results already?
Original post by naido123
(Original post by nia_03_s)Just wondering, is it likely that if a certain course from certain unis aren’t in clearing right now, that they will be on results day? (If they reject some people etc.)
Thanks!

Many top universities wont show their courses until A level results day. Basically they wont know until then the number of students who have met their offers. The courses available now tend to be those that universities can see from the number of applicants they wont reach their numbers. Most clearing courses arent shown until results day. The ones showing now are the less popular courses.
Some unis such as Sheffield will have advanced cleaning
I think this tends to be when they haven't got a full course of accepted people so that even when the grades are reduced then there will still be places
Also some let you sign up early so that depending on the grades on the day you would beat the people phoning in so more likely to get onto the course
Reply 4
Original post by naido123
Thanks!

Im a last year student, deferred my offer but trying clearing to see if there’s anything better
Reply 5
Original post by swanseajack1
Many top universities wont show their courses until A level results day. Basically they wont know until then the number of students who have met their offers. The courses available now tend to be those that universities can see from the number of applicants they wont reach their numbers. Most clearing courses arent shown until results day. The ones showing now are the less popular courses.

Okay cool thanks!
Reply 6
Original post by Jess_Lomas
Some unis such as Sheffield will have advanced cleaning
I think this tends to be when they haven't got a full course of accepted people so that even when the grades are reduced then there will still be places
Also some let you sign up early so that depending on the grades on the day you would beat the people phoning in so more likely to get onto the course

Yeah I was wondering mainly about sheffield since I know they did this last year, but for the advanced clearing they didn’t have the courses I wanted to apply for 🥲 hoping they’ll have some on the actual day!
Original post by nia_03_s
Im a last year student, deferred my offer but trying clearing to see if there’s anything better

I'm not sure that you can go into clearning then
Normally to enter clearing you have to either not met either offer or rejected the offer
If you get the grades and are still deferring you can't apply for another university you would have to reject the offer
Reply 8
Original post by Jess_Lomas
I'm not sure that you can go into clearning then
Normally to enter clearing you have to either not met either offer or rejected the offer
If you get the grades and are still deferring you can't apply for another university you would have to reject the offer

Yeah I meant originally deferred, but I spoke with the uni and then started a 2023 application so rejected them basically, and can enter clearing for this year
Original post by nia_03_s
Just wondering, is it likely that if a certain course from certain unis aren’t in clearing right now, that they will be on results day? (If they reject some people etc.)
Thanks!

Hey there @nia_03_s !
Clearing is more so on a conditional basis so most universities won't know what their clearing week will look like until after results day. It's majority based on places on courses that they haven't managed to fill so they'll only know the true figure on that after results day. For example, they might be some people's insurance choice so in that case they'd have reserved a place for them that eventually wouldn't get filled. There will be more courses in clearing after results day than there is now, it just depends if you want to wait or just get it over with and get your place confirmed.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending