The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
AutVinceriAutMori
That as may be but I would take NHS over wonderful american system anytime. When my dad cut his hand in an accident, he had an operation and therapy for free. If he didn't have it then he would have one useless hand, and if we had to pay for it we owuld be upto our ears in debt. He works now and pays his taxes too, which isnt that bad, compared to uncertainty of living without health insurance like you do.
Still, each to their own, if Americans want to keep it that way, fair enough

Same here nearly everyone i know have been helped by it in one way, my mum multiple operations, and my dad when he had a heart attack, my uncle when he got assaulted severely, for all its bad press, theres thousands of people its saved
Reply 61
Ashley.W.
I dont understand your healthcare system much, and would rarely talk about something i didnt fully understand, Doesnt the medicare/aid not apply to a large majority? Does it cost?

I know the NHS isnt perfect, by a long shot, but the fact it is available for anyone in need, and also would prevent you from weezing to a full attack must be a good thing.

For you to stand by it aswell, when it discrimnates against you, is a pretty admirable trait or stupid haha:woo:

I've been insured before I know it works, and I'm also a premed student looking at the current bill I most likely wouldn't be able to make enough once I got out of med school to pay off my bills.

Medicare doesn't support the large majority that's not what it's used for, its for people that can't afford insurance (not the large majority) But it's so messed up it doesn't provide the cover it should. One of my mentors (a neurosurgeon) just quit his job because he saw where our country was going and got tired of the bureaucracy surrounding nationalized healthcare.
Texan88
I've been insured before I know it works, and I'm also a premed student looking at the current bill I most likely wouldn't be able to make enough once I got out of med school to pay off my bills.

Medicare doesn't support the large majority that's not what it's used for, its for people that can't afford insurance (not the large majority) But it's so messed up it doesn't provide the cover it should. One of my mentors (a neurosurgeon) just quit his job because he saw where our country was going and got tired of the bureaucracy surrounding nationalized healthcare.

And America critisises Russia & England over healthcare? NHS might not be perfect but it does its job
Whats interesting is that when the debate about NHs was going on, our politicians didnt bother to say "Oh, look at America, they don't have free healthcare at all" whereas Sarah Palin and suchlike feel free to criticise england to support their views :rolleyes:
Ashley.W.
Same here nearly everyone i know have been helped by it in one way, my mum multiple operations, and my dad when he had a heart attack, my uncle when he got assaulted severely, for all its bad press, theres thousands of people its saved

Exactly, most of people I know were helped, regardless of age. It makes me all the more gratefull I live here and not in America- as I already said once, I would rather pay so that someone could be helped, and next time someone could help me if needed.
Reply 63
AutVinceriAutMori
And America critisises Russia & England over healthcare? NHS might not be perfect but it does its job
Whats interesting is that when the debate about NHs was going on, our politicians didnt bother to say "Oh, look at America, they don't have free healthcare at all" whereas Sarah Palin and suchlike feel free to criticise england to support their views :rolleyes:

Exactly, most of people I know were helped, regardless of age. It makes me all the more gratefull I live here and not in America- as I already said once, I would rather pay so that someone could be helped, and next time someone could help me if needed.

Little ad hominem there but ok, not everyone is going to agree, sarah palin isn't exactly the sharpest bulb in the drawer. I pay my taxes so that people that have don't have money (such as in my situation) can have healthcare those with it usually don't need it.
Reply 64
Would I be correct in saying that the with the American system organised upon "competitive" lines it allows doctors to effectively decide their own salaries allowing them to pocket a substancial sum?
Reply 65
Paul_r
Would I be correct in saying that the with the American system organised upon "competitive" lines it allows doctors to effectively decide their own salaries allowing them to pocket a substancial sum?

In a private practice not in hospitals, but only to an extent, in a competitive area you can't just set crazy prices they must go with a trend and if you're over priced then the customer will go somewhere else.
Reply 66
Texan88
In a private practice not in hospitals, but only to an extent, in a competitive area you can't just set crazy prices they must go with a trend and if you're over priced then the customer will go somewhere else.

Still cant believe you pay 80 dollars for an inhaler, what's the name of what you take?
Reply 67
Proair HFA with insurance it cost 20 though all my co pay's for perscriptions were around 20
Made in the USA
Read the fine print at the bottom and you'll see why the numbers are different than some of the stats you posted before.

If you add all the groups together in the cartoon you get something like 60 million because the groups overlap. For example, you could be a very rich, under 25 year old who is in between jobs and you will add to the tally of 3 different groups. I guess it's all about how you collect and group the data.

That wasn't what I meant. I was referring to the fact that my source states that the number of 18-25 year olds who are uninsured was about a milllion less than the cartoon stated. Further more, whilst obviously some may choose not to have insurance because they think that they're invincible, that particular age demographic has the potential for worst earnings and therefore people not having insurance because they can't afford. Take myself, I'm 23 and I definitely wouldn't be able to afford health insurance.

Given this discrepancy with and the other numbers I doubt the validity of the cartoon. As I said do you have a source for those numbers, other than the cartoon?
Reply 69
I think only Americans can argue that a system that costs more and covers less people is a better system than one that covers everyone and cost less. But I expect thats the market.

I would not like the US health system here because it would cost me a lot more and if I had a very expensive long term illness like cancer, I could go bankrupt because there is a limit to the amount I can be insured for.

Serious illness is one of the common reasons Americans go bankrupt even if they have good insurance.
Texan88
I also must admit that I am appalled at how most of you Europeans assume that all Americans are idiots because of a few of them, guess what there are idiots everywhere. Our system works just fine, there are some spots that need to be ironed out, but I'll take my privatized capitalistic healthcare over socialized healthcare any day. It creates an environment were companies have to work harder and provide better services at a lower price.

No, it creates a environment whereby there's no concern for saving money as you just pass on the bill to the patient/insurer. It's one of the reasons why the US healthcare is so expensive
Texan88

Some of the statistics spouted by obama and some other people on here are ludicrous. The American College of Surgeons has already gotta quite annoyed at some of the crap obama is spouting.

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.facs.org%2Fnews%2Fobama081209.html

Keep in mind that this is from the largest organization of surgeons in the world.

They would say that wouldn't they? After all US surgeons are the best paid due to the current healthcare system - they have a vested interest to keep it that way.
Texan88

You can if insurers are guaranteed to pay you out. More than that, the US uses inapproriate levels of technology just so they can charge people more. ("Oh got a twisted ankle? Better MRI it. That'll be $5,000 please. Oh and there's nothing wrong with your ankle)
Increased spending on US healthcare won't make the difference if he is carrying out a depopulation policy...he told doctors to disregard the hippocratic oath, provide patients' medical history to the federal gov, 'weed out the weak' and serve their nation.

I apologise if i sound extreme..US healthcare system is a free market so there will always be inequality. Gov intervention, in theory, can improve things. In reality, i believe that doesn't look promising.
DAFOne
We have exactly that in Canada. We have hospitals and private clinics.

If you go to a hospital, you wait a lot, before you get taken care of, but eventually you have quality doctors looking at you and giving you good medical care.

If you go to a private clinic, you pay thousands of dollars for everything you want (nothing if you have private insurance) and you get the same treatment immediately.

I think that most Americans who oppose this fail to understand that they will be getting something for free, but that they will still be able to pay for it as they are doing today and continue to receive the same treatment they are getting today.

Edit: Status quo remains for everyone bar the insurance giants (who have too much money anyway)

I think most American's need to learn how to read the facts. I mean Medicare is/was one of the most efficient healthcare systems in the world. Put more people on it, and it will stay just as efficient.
Captain Crash
In order to drag the debate out of the 'Anti-Obama' Thread, I thought I'd start this one.

So, as we all know, Obama plans for Healthcare reform in the US have been met with, at times, vitriolic debate. The fact that the US spends twice as much per capita on healthcare, without equivalent additional healthcare benefits whilst leaving 75 million people without insurance or underinsured, the system is clearly in need of reform of some sort.

What should America do to fix it's healthcare system?

Wow, someone actually neg repped me for this. £10 says they're American.
Captain Crash
Wow, someone actually neg repped me for this. £10 says they're American.

I'd sub you to find out, but I'm a bit skint at the mo.
UGeNe
Canada Healthcare = One of the Best in the WORLD

Personal experience.

Cuba Healthcare= One of the Best in the WORLD:biggrin:

I went there on holiday:smile:, but i think the doctors should be paid more
they only get paid very small, which is a little the service they provide is
outstanding. Nevertheless, I would never swap for NHS:smile:. NHS is far more valuable and far better than cuba healthcare as a whole.
Reply 77
favh
Since NHS spending rose continuously under both Thatcher and Major, was it also chronically underfunded under Callaghan, Wilson, Atlee &c.?

Do you have this graph as a percentage of GDP? A raw figure in pounds sterling seems quite unreliable.
Reply 78
Wasn't me I really don't neg rep for someone bringing up a good point, our healthcare system is a bit spending but it works, all that's needed is to trim the fat a little (literally and figuratively) It's hard to call into question the actions of the surgeons here, you must also realize that our medical school costs are high enough to where they need to be paid as such to cover the cost. Stop dehumanizing the people that do great jobs and start looking at the actual system that is the problem.

Afc do you mean put more people on fixing medicare or into the system, the way our tax system works putting more people into it will bankrupt it faster if it isn't reformed, it spends to much on nothing, however if you put more people on fixing it I would see it working in CONJUNCTION with the system we already have.
Texan88
Wasn't me I really don't neg rep for someone bringing up a good point,

Don't worry I didn't' think it was you
Texan88
our healthcare system is a bit spending but it works, all that's needed is to trim the fat a little (literally and figuratively) It's hard to call into question the actions of the surgeons here, you must also realize that our medical school costs are high enough to where they need to be paid as such to cover the cost. Stop dehumanizing the people that do great jobs and start looking at the actual system that is the problem.

No I appreciate how expensive medical school is - I'm a medical student myself. My point is that it's hard to be impartial to a solution when that solution will affect your pay, no matter how well meaning.

Latest

Trending

Trending