The Student Room Group

A2 chemistry calculation

A sample of verdigris has the formula [(CH3COO)2Cu]2.Cu(OH)2.xH2O
Analysis of the sample shows that it contains 16.3% water by mass.
Calculate the value of x in the formula

Now i asked someone to help me on this and their answer came it to be x = 4 (rounded up). I just want to see if someone who knows this inside out can tell me if they reach that same answer and if they do tell me in detail how you got to that answer.

Thank you in advance. Please quote with help asap.
I got 4 as well.

You have to set up an equation. The molecular mass of the compound is 379.5+18x (where x is the number of water molecules) We know that 16.3% of this mass is water, therefore (379.5+18x)*0.163=18x
If you solve the equation and round the result you get 4 for x.
Reply 2
Mangaartist
I got 4 as well.

You have to set up an equation. The molecular mass of the compound is 379.5+18x (where x is the number of water molecules) We know that 16.3% of this mass is water, therefore (379.5+18x)*0.163=18x
If you solve the equation and round the result you get 4 for x.

Why does it equal 18x and not the total of the masses?
boromir9111
Why does it equal 18x and not the total of the masses?

Because the left side of the equation is the mass of water in the compound (16.3% of the total mass) so the right side also has to be equal to the mass of water in the compound.
boromir9111
Hey there, i was hoping you could help me with this one final problem please.

A sample of verdigris has the formula [(CH3COO)2Cu]2.Cu(OH)2.xH2O
Analysis of the sample shows that it contains 16.3% water by mass.
Calculate the value of x in the formula

My friend tells me the answer is x = 4, i was wondering if you could check if that's right and if it is or not please tell me how you got to your answer and explain in detail please.

Quote with help asap please.

You need to use (mass of water)/(total mass) x 100 = %mass of water

So 18x/(460.5 + 18x) x 100 = 16.3

=> 18x = 0.163 x (460.5 + 18x)

=> x = 5

check: [(18 x 5)/(550.5)] x 100 = 16.3%
Reply 5

=> x = 5

That is a method used by someone who just quoted me and his answer differs but his makes much more sense to the one above and how my friend did it. I will use this explanation but thank you for your help.
boromir9111

=> x = 5

That is good as well, mine would be good too but I apparently miscalculated the molecular mass :eek3:
Reply 7
EierVonSatan

=> x = 5

check: [(18 x 5)/(550.5)] x 100 = 16.3%

Yep, it does equal 16.3%. Thank you again for your help, it's good to know if i need a good explanation i should rely on TSR and not my friends lol. Another question, do you have a degree in chem or currently studying chem at uni?
Reply 8
EierVonSatan
You're welcome.

Both :p:

I am a PhD student in chemistry :smile:

Excellent, so there's another problem bugging me for the A2 topic on "unifying concepts" it's the rate determining step, i looked over the book again and again and did some exam questions, there's very little on it but i like to cover my ground so i know in depth. If it's not too much trouble can you explain how you would tackle a question relating RDS, please?
boromir9111
Excellent, so there's another problem bugging me for the A2 topic on "unifying concepts" it's the rate determining step, i looked over the book again and again and did some exam questions, there's very little on it but i like to cover my ground so i know in depth. If it's not too much trouble can you explain how you would tackle a question relating RDS, please?

I think that you need to be a little more specific with the question.

RDS is normally elucidated from the rate equation and the proposed mechanisms of reaction.
Reply 10
charco
I think that you need to be a little more specific with the question.

RDS is normally elucidated from the rate equation and the proposed mechanisms of reaction.

Oh, no problem. I know what it means, If it's in the rate equation or something derived from it, it will appear in the slow step (rate determining step).

Let's say for example the rate equation = k[A]^2
What would be the slow step and if possible include the following steps as well.
boromir9111
Oh, no problem. I know what it means, If it's in the rate equation or something derived from it, it will appear in the slow step (rate determining step).

Let's say for example the rate equation = k[A]^2
What would be the slow step and if possible include the following steps as well.

Maybe it would be easier to direct you to this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1077686

read it first and then come back with questions :smile:

Latest