The Student Room Group

Physics for Oxford Chemistry?

Hi! I’m applying to study Chemistry at Oxford this year but I haven’t done Physics A-Level, which of course isn’t a prerequisite. But as I have time to prepare, I was still wondering if there’s any parts of Physics (A-Level or GCSE) which would be good to look over before an interview?
Original post by nucleophilic
Hi! I’m applying to study Chemistry at Oxford this year but I haven’t done Physics A-Level, which of course isn’t a prerequisite. But as I have time to prepare, I was still wondering if there’s any parts of Physics (A-Level or GCSE) which would be good to look over before an interview?

I know my response is a month late, but I think it is worth pointing out that you are extremely unlikely to be asked anything relating to A level physics unless they give you the necessary context (i.e the equations that you’ll need to conduct the calculations in question).

Some GCSE physics, such as Hooke’s law and calculating kinetic energy I could imagine may be of some relevance to a physical chemistry interview, but aside from that, I doubt it’s worth worrying about.
Reply 2
Original post by TypicalNerd
I know my response is a month late, but I think it is worth pointing out that you are extremely unlikely to be asked anything relating to A level physics unless they give you the necessary context (i.e the equations that you’ll need to conduct the calculations in question).

Some GCSE physics, such as Hooke’s law and calculating kinetic energy I could imagine may be of some relevance to a physical chemistry interview, but aside from that, I doubt it’s worth worrying about.

Thank you so much! I ended up looking over my GCSE stuff and some physics which overlapped with quantum, so so hopefully it’ll be alright! Do you have any other suggestions on things to do for the last few weeks before interviews?
Original post by nucleophilic
Thank you so much! I ended up looking over my GCSE stuff and some physics which overlapped with quantum, so so hopefully it’ll be alright! Do you have any other suggestions on things to do for the last few weeks before interviews?

At this point, you should be focusing more on your chemistry and maths. A level past paper questions and RSC chemistry Olympiad past papers should be your best bets.
Reply 4
C3L6 and Chemistry Olympiad papers are definitely the best papers to use imo

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending