The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Lol saw in the Times today they are bitching again on twitter. Someone needs to point out the meaning of colony to Argentina. Maybe then they would realise that the Falklands are not a colony.
Reply 121
Aj12
Lol saw in the Times today they are bitching again on twitter. Someone needs to point out the meaning of colony to Argentina. Maybe then they would realise that the Falklands are not a colony.

Lol, I don't think they will let go of it. Why the sudden attacks anyway? they tried it on 1982 and then now again all of a sudden went mental :s-smilie:

I'm really annoyed at how the USA isn't showing enough support.
Reply 122
4TSR
Lol, I don't think they will let go of it. Why the sudden attacks anyway? they tried it on 1982 and then now again all of a sudden went mental :s-smilie:

I'm really annoyed at how the USA isn't showing enough support.

Election is coming up and this is the classic thing to do to gain votes.

Also the USA is trying to build links in South America which is why they won't support us
Reply 123
Aj12
Election is coming up and this is the classic thing to do to gain votes.

Also the USA is trying to build links in South America which is why they won't support us

Surely we are more beneficial to the US than South America?
Reply 124
4TSR

Problem is the US I think has a similar attitude to South America as Russia has to Eastern Europe. America wants to build close ties with South America. By being neutral it will cause far less damage to relations to us. If they support us it will cause massive damage to South American relations.
Reply 125
Aj12
Problem is the US I think has a similar attitude to South America as Russia has to Eastern Europe. America wants to build close ties with South America. By being neutral it will cause far less damage to relations to us. If they support us it will cause massive damage to South American relations.

Since times have changed, and if a war breaks out, I don't think we can fight this war alone for several reasons; for example:

-We are going through financially difficult times
-Other South American countries have vowed to help Argentina
-they might have learnt from their mistakes this time

If we do go to war, it will be a very hard one to win, but I hope the European union does help out and even send some forces since we are all "A United Europe?"
Reply 126
4TSR
Since times have changed, and if a war breaks out, I don't think we can fight this war alone for several reasons; for example:

-We are going through financially difficult times
-Other South American countries have vowed to help Argentina
-they might have learnt from their mistakes this time

If we do go to war, it will be a very hard one to win, but I hope the European union does help out and even send some forces since we are all "A United Europe?"

If it is just against Argentina then we will destory then, wipe the floor with them in every way. If other countries join in against us we can ask for help from the EU and Nato both would be obligated to help us because of various treaties. But Argentina has said that a military attempt is not an optiion
Reply 127
4TSR

Maybe so.

But South America has traditionally been seen as the USA's back yard. Brazil is a major rising power who the US wants to keep on side, and on top of that, China has been making gains in South America.

Not only that, Britain is too big a suck up to the US. The US not supporting us on the Falklands hasn't really done anything to change that. They can remain neutral or lean towards Argentina without us making too big a fuss (Something which need to change). Sad reality is we are just a junior partner who the US can and do push around.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 128
150 Azog
Maybe so.

But South America has traditionally been seen as the USA's back yard. Brazil is a major rising power who the US wants to keep on side, and on top of that, China has been making gains in South America.

Not only that, Britain is too big a suck up to the US. The US not supporting us on the Falklands hasn't really done anything to change that. They can remain neutral or lean towards Argentina without us making too big a fuss (Something which need to change). Sad reality is we are just a junior partner who the US can and do push around.

I agree, It feels as though the "special relationship" between us and the US is somewhat one sided? we were literally dragged into a huge war that wasn't ours to fight. At least now the extremists can say: "the British are fighting Islam just to please the US" I want to see something form the US to assure us that we are still best buddies :biggrin:
4TSR
I agree, It feels as though the "special relationship" between us and the US is somewhat one sided? we were literally dragged into a huge war that wasn't ours to fight. At least now the extremists can say: "the British are fighting Islam just to please the US" I want to see something form the US to assure us that we are still best buddies :biggrin:

Hardly dragged in: at the start, there was a comfortable majority in support. It's only afterwards when everyone changed their minds that it became a dastardly American conspiracy that we wouldn't have had anything to do with if we had had our way.
Reply 130
Collingwood
Hardly dragged in: at the start, there was a comfortable majority in support. It's only afterwards when everyone changed their minds that it became a dastardly American conspiracy that we wouldn't have had anything to do with if we had had our way.

A comfortable majority of MP's- not a comfortable majority of the population.

Britain gained nothing from that war but good favour with the US (Which has already been forgotten by Obama). The US got all the strategic gains. It just cost us £10 billion and a 173 lives. It cost the Iraqi's 100,000 lives (Mostly Iraqi-on-Iraqi violence but as a direct result of serious Coalition mismanagement and failure to acknowledge the consequences of toppling Saddam). Not only that, it led to the sidelining of Afghanistan leaving it in the mess we are now trying to sort out with no certainty of success.

It was nothing but an arse-licking exercise by Blair.

Latest

Trending

Trending