The Student Room Group

Becoming an pilot within the RAF

Hi, I finish my GCSEs tomorrow and I am very worried about my results. If I get 6s on my GCSEs, and in the future Bs on my A-levels, will the RAF think less of me as a candidate and choose someone with better grades for the role of a pilot? (I'm sure this is asked all the time but it's a genuine worry of mine). If there are any RAF pilots would you mind sharing your grades because it might make me feel better 😬
Reply 1
As long as you meet the required grades for Pilot, you are fine to apply; exam results aren't looked at beyond that stage and the RAF don't use them to compare you to other people during the selection process. It's all down to how you perform in the RAF's tests, both as an individual and against others. Hope this reassures you!

Ex-RAF Recruiter.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 2
The RAF is an institution that has embroiled itself in identity politics and recruitment quotas.
They see flying as little more than a bureaucratic exercise.

If you want to get some good flying in with a more respected and pragmatic organisation, join the senior service and "Fly Navy".

Lastly, you could give yourself a good start (and additional points during initial selection) by learning to fly at a gliding club or microlight school.

Ask me how I know 😉
Reply 3
Original post by Surnia
As long as you meet the required grades for Pilot, you are fine to apply; exam results aren't looked at beyond that stage and the RAF don't use them to compare you to other people during the selection process. It's all down to how you perform in the RAF's tests, both as an individual and against others. Hope this reassures you!

Ex-RAF Recruiter.

That is the biggest relief, thank you so much. Have a good day!!
Reply 4
Original post by mathperson
The RAF is an institution that has embroiled itself in identity politics and recruitment quotas.

If you want to get some good flying in with a more respected and pragmatic organisation, join the senior service and "Fly Navy".

Lastly, you could give yourself a good start (and additional points during initial selection) by learning to fly at a gliding club or microlight school.

Ask me how I know 😉

I have considered the navy before but the RAF is still a massive dream for me as I have always wanted to fly a Eurofighter Typhoon (even though they'll be outdated soon). I guess if there's still problems in the RAF with recruiting especially with all this bad news about it at the moment, then I will consider other options.

Also replying to the gliding club part, a friend of mine at cadets is in one and wants me to join but I suppose I'll have to get a good summer job to afford it 😂
Reply 5
Original post by thomas_kurn
I have considered the navy before but the RAF is still a massive dream for me as I have always wanted to fly a Eurofighter Typhoon (even though they'll be outdated soon). I guess if there's still problems in the RAF with recruiting especially with all this bad news about it at the moment, then I will consider other options.

Also replying to the gliding club part, a friend of mine at cadets is in one and wants me to join but I suppose I'll have to get a good summer job to afford it 😂

I would strongly urge you to consider the Royal Navy.
The typhoon is an ageing aircraft and the first generation typhoons are already beginning to be retired.

If you'd like to explore the Royal Navy a little more, especially if you have any questions, I would suggest joining the Royal Navy forum, Navy Net:
https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/

Gliding is more affordable than you might think. I did it when I was a university student.
Microlight flying (3-axis is what you want) is marginally more expensive but has the benefit of flying with 'power'.
Microlight flying is also a little more modern: you'll book a slot, go and fly, then go home. This is in contrast to gliding whereby it operates on a volunteer basis - everybody mucks in. The downside of this is that you'll be there all day pushing gliders about perhaps for 1 or 2 short training flights (not very time efficient at all tbh).
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 6
I would strongly urge you to consider the Royal Navy.
The typhoon is an ageing aircraft and the first generation typhoons are already beginning to be retired.

If you'd like to explore the Royal Navy a little more, especially if you have any questions, I would suggest joining the Royal Navy forum, Navy Net:
https://www.navy-net.co.uk/community/

Gliding is more affordable than you might think. I did it when I was a university student.
Microlight flying (3-axis is what you want) is marginally more expensive but has the benefit of flying with 'power'.
Microlight flying is also a little more modern: you'll book a slot, go and fly, then go home. This is in contrast to gliding whereby it operates on a volunteer basis - everybody mucks in. The downside of this is that you'll be there all day pushing gliders about perhaps for 1 or 2 short training flights (not very time efficient at all tbh).

I'm going to have a look at microlight flying as it sounds most fun. Thank you.
Reply 7
Original post by thomas_kurn
Hi, I finish my GCSEs tomorrow and I am very worried about my results. If I get 6s on my GCSEs, and in the future Bs on my A-levels, will the RAF think less of me as a candidate and choose someone with better grades for the role of a pilot? (I'm sure this is asked all the time but it's a genuine worry of mine). If there are any RAF pilots would you mind sharing your grades because it might make me feel better 😬

Hi Mate, I'm in the exact same position as you. Final GCSE on Tuesday (can't believe it!), want to do my A-Levels too and then look at joining when I'm 18. I guess we could end up training together :smile:

I would too be interested to know the answer to this regarding grades
Reply 8

I'm Jewish, so I can exploit that. I can just claim some sort of discrimination if they don't let me through!
Reply 9
Original post by Joey2007uk
Hi Mate, I'm in the exact same position as you. Final GCSE on Tuesday (can't believe it!), want to do my A-Levels too and then look at joining when I'm 18. I guess we could end up training together :smile:

I answered the question at post #2.
Reply 10
I'm Jewish, so I can exploit that. I can just claim some sort of discrimination if they don't let me through!

Are you serious about joining the RAF with that attitude? Look up the Core Values.

Entry is on merit; why do you think you should you get preferential treatment if you don't get in because you haven't prepared or even just lack natural ability?
Reply 11
Original post by Surnia
Are you serious about joining the RAF with that attitude? Look up the Core Values.

Entry is on merit; why do you think you should you get preferential treatment if you don't get in because you haven't prepared or even just lack natural ability?

OMG learn to take a joke.
Reply 12
OMG learn to take a joke.

I interviewed an officer candidate and warned him against being flippant; 'flippant' was the exact word used in his report from OASC, which he failed. Similarly, the guy at Halton claiming to have done drugs; if he hadn't, he was going to be disciplined anyway...
Reply 13
Original post by Surnia
I interviewed an officer candidate and warned him against being flippant; 'flippant' was the exact word used in his report from OASC, which he failed. Similarly, the guy at Halton claiming to have done drugs; if he hadn't, he was going to be disciplined anyway...

I'm hardly likely to make jokes in the interview!
Original post by Surnia

To be fair we ought not discuss what RAF top brass have been saying recently about Caucasian pilots...
Reply 15
I'm hardly likely to make jokes in the interview!

It's wasn't to do with jokes being made, it was the answers and the way in which they were given.
Reply 16

Very late reply from me but I'm interested in which subjects you picked for A-levels?

Quick Reply

Latest