The Student Room Group

Who do you think is the best military commander ever?

I am just curious who you think is the best historical military commander ever?

Scroll to see replies

Alexander the Great, lad conquered and destroyed thr Aeachmid (Persian) empire

Also back thrn we had Hannibal who was screwing rome. In the same war Scipio Africanus

Middle Ages sort of time Gengis Khan and King Henry V

Modern wise we have napoleon and Maybe Ww2 Zhukov

Probaly about 50 more I’m missing
Alexander The Great, Alexander Suvorov, Alfred The Great, Arik Sharon, Charles Martel, El Cid Campeador, Genghis Khan, Israel Tal, Janos Hunyadi, Jan Zizka and Julius Caesar.
Original post by Kingdragon

Ancient: Genghis Khan and Hannibal of Carthage

Modern: President Putin and Chairman Mao.
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_1800

Putin. Lol. Trying to spark a debate are we.
Reply 5
Original post by lalexm

I meant best not worst 😂
Original post by lalexm

I was not really. There is a saying that President Putin has apparently never lost a conflict. I watched a documentary on the BBC about his rise to power and i was impressed.
I meant best not worst 😂

It is subjective. Your “worst” could be another’s inspirational leader.
Reply 8
I was not really. There is a saying that President Putin has apparently never lost a conflict. I watched a documentary on the BBC about his rise to power and i was impressed.

His rise to power was impressive indeed. I watched that documentary also. His last few years have been disastrous though.
Original post by lalexm
His rise to power was impressive indeed. I watched that documentary also. His last few years have been disastrous though.

Yes, the last few years have been appalling hence his opponents believe he is at his weakest point. Apparently, he is hoping for a change in US Presidency to Trump, who can give him a way out to save face.

Trump has been critical of Ukraine, so they wont have an American ally. Besides, Britain would dump them too, once we see that the Americans cant be bothered anymore.

french man is the best sadly. there are good one's probably those who fought in many battles and were undefeated will be on a "list" but in terms of the best its french man.
Charles Martel and Julius Caesar.
Reply 12
Viscount Nelson, without a shadow of a doubt. It was his mastery of seasmanship and his unbelievable personal magnetism that led the Royal Navy to become the preminent naval power in the world. His courage and leadership resulted in the defeat of the French and Spanish at Trafalgar and was so absolute that nobody dared to challenge the Royal Navy for a hundred years. This was one of the most important factors in the ability of Britain to maintain Empire across the entire world.
Reply 13
Hannibal I can take or leave. Tactically he was outstanding, but in contrast to people like Napoleon, Nelson, Wellington, Alexander or even Guderian - Hannibal's victories lacked any kind of big picture. The Carthaginian council said it best to him when he was on his grand tour of Italy (and I paraphrase) "We've given you huge amounts of money and men. You say you've been victorious over the Romans time and again. Now you come back for even more. What would you be asking for had you lost?"

Julius Caesar, Alexander The Great and Napoleon Bonaparte. From these three named commanders, Alexander the Great was the best in terms of the territories he conquered and annexed. His expansions left marks for Hellenism.
(edited 2 months ago)
Reply 15

Ulysses S. Grant turned the tide of the American Civil War. But it was not this endeavour that formed the foundation of his 'greatness' - for what is 'greatness' if not a measure of a man's worth? To that end Grant was not only a conscientious man, who regarded slavery with the disgust it deserved, but also served as president, and proved himself a deeply honourable man, so much so that it was his tour of the world which first cemented American diplomacy as a force for good in that era of the world.
(edited 2 months ago)

Although his expedition through the alpines and his victory against the Roman military was pretty impressive, Hannibal failed to bring Rome down and to establish a Carthagian reign. At last he failed and lost the war. Don't you think that Hannibal is overrestimated?
Original post by Kallisto
Although his expedition through the alpines and his victory against the Roman military was pretty impressive, Hannibal failed to bring Rome down and to establish a Carthagian reign. At last he failed and lost the war. Don't you think that Hannibal is overrestimated?

I don't think so. You have to compare his prowess and his reach with that of his opponents. He fought against the Romans.
I don't think so. You have to compare his prowess and his reach with that of his opponents. He fought against the Romans.

And if he is compared to Alexander the Great? his reign and Hellenism at least lasted for many hundred years. And it was a big one.
Alexander the Great is the obvious one, but for WW2 I have the following

Germany: Walter Model- I will die on that hill that he was the most competent out of them all.

England: William Slim- look him up, given how little he had he helped save the Burmese front and prevented the capture of the south Asian subcontinent.

France: they kinda surrendered too early so I can’t say.

Russia: Rokossovsky/ Zhukov. Human waves ftw.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending