The Student Room Group

Private Pilot License in RAF

Do I earn my private pilot license while training to be a pilot in the RAF?
Have you been selected by the RAF for a pilot role?
Reply 2
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
Have you been selected by the RAF for a pilot role?

No, just interested in the job.
If my limited understanding is correct, you would get transferable civilian pilot qualifications as part of your Pilot certification through the RAF.
Now, something to bare in mind is that a pilot positions in the armed forces are extremely competitive. I don't know specifically for the RAF but I know for the Royal Navy that (as of about a month ago), they had 700/800 pilot candidates lined up to do the Admiralty Interview Board, competing against 6 or 7 pilot vacancies. So be realistic about the chances but give it a shot by all means.
Reply 4
Original post by HarryFett2k7

No, but there are bases with flying clubs that allow personnel of any branch or trade to get a PPL.

As above, depending on how you are streamed, flying training gives you transferable skills.
Reply 5
Original post by Surnia
No, but there are bases with flying clubs that allow personnel of any branch or trade to get a PPL.

As above, depending on how you are streamed, flying training gives you transferable skills.

So would these clubs be cheaper than civilian flying clubs?
Reply 6
Original post by SoonToBeExpat
If my limited understanding is correct, you would get transferable civilian pilot qualifications as part of your Pilot certification through the RAF.
Now, something to bare in mind is that a pilot positions in the armed forces are extremely competitive. I don't know specifically for the RAF but I know for the Royal Navy that (as of about a month ago), they had 700/800 pilot candidates lined up to do the Admiralty Interview Board, competing against 6 or 7 pilot vacancies. So be realistic about the chances but give it a shot by all means.

Thank you, it definitely will be a big competition.
Reply 7
Original post by HarryFett2k7

Yes.

Have a look at CAP2254 for details.

Quick Reply

Latest