The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by psychocustard
Haha, I don't know why that made me laugh so much. I think I'm just a bit worried that because I'm not doing a health related course atm, they'll maybe go for someone else instead who is >_<

It does have a voluteering service, but it doesn't seem to be taking on anyone atm, and it's taking ages for my housemate to find a placement with anyone for special needs stuff.
May try and find the nursing school when I'm on campus tomorrow and have a word. There's a county hospital not too far from me at home, too, so I'll try calling them and see what they say about it

Good idea, its too the right of the big main building on campus, upwards the hospital (been 2 years since I was last at swansea uni!). If you have any questions about the nursing career tho just PM me, I'm qualifying in a couple if months and am hoping to go into critical care (got an ITU job interview in 2 weeks :biggrin:).
Original post by Subcutaneous
Good idea, its too the right of the big main building on campus, upwards the hospital (been 2 years since I was last at swansea uni!). If you have any questions about the nursing career tho just PM me, I'm qualifying in a couple if months and am hoping to go into critical care (got an ITU job interview in 2 weeks :biggrin:).

Thank you, I'll probably end up giving you a shout over the summer and such! Good luck with your interview, too :smile:
Original post by Scrubby

Oh fair enough. I thought that back in the days they just wore it as some sort of arrogant way of placing themselves above everyone else. Basically why I've never particularly liked white coats. But yeah that makes sense. Except scrubs probably fufill that role just as well. Except the pockets part. Pockets in scrubs seem to either be frustratingly small, non-existent or in really awkward areas like on your bottom. I don't put stuff in pockets on my bottom.

It's not really arrogance, it is just defining a role I guess. I'm quite a traditionalist and would like to see the return of coats etc.

Scrubs don't fulfil a role identifying medical staff, they are worn by docs, nurses, technicians, radiographers etc. Make good pyjamas though!
Original post by digitalis
It's not really arrogance, it is just defining a role I guess. I'm quite a traditionalist and would like to see the return of coats etc.

Scrubs don't fulfil a role identifying medical staff, they are worn by docs, nurses, technicians, radiographers etc. Make good pyjamas though!

And they make it really easy to stick with your group on a bar crawl. :colone:
Original post by Scrubby
They seemed to have latched onto Adam as the face of the programme at the expense of Andy who's been ignored completely. I think all three episodes spent at least half the time focusing on Adam. And that annoys me purely because he won't shut up about the paperwork and giving up on medicine, despite being from a family of doctors and having been at med school for six years. Oh and he's a knob. I want to see more of Andy. He hasn't been anywhere near a hospital yet. It seems as if they've decided he's not interesting enough.

I quite like the rest of them though, especially Kier mostly because of his joke about the bananna looking jaundiced. I'm not sure if it was just because I got the reference, but I started cracking up. But generally it seems like a entertaining but fairly realistic depiction of the lives of Junior Doctors.

Agreed re Adam. Constantly wingeing that the job doesn't live up to his inflated expectations - perhaps if he'd actually bothered to attend the wards when he was a student he'd (a) have had a more accurate idea of the profession he'd signed up for (b) be able to clerk someone in under 90 minutes, preferably without sounding totally clueless.

(My favourite Adam quote so far: "my instincts told me there was something wrong with her"... wow, 6th sense Adam! Though the fact that you'd just been bleeped by a nurse to say that the patient was SOB from heart failure might have been a clue as well)

It's not that he's useless that I mind, it's the preposterous implication that his superior talent/ 'pedigree' [epsiode 1] isn't being given a chance to flourish. I'm sure he's just trying to cover up his gnawing insecurity and the weight of family expectations, but it's still bloody irritating.

I'm quite impressed with Kier (at least, the bits they've chosen to show us). But yes, he's a bit patronising to the others in the house.
Reply 845
Original post by jimbo139
Agreed re Adam. Constantly wingeing that the job doesn't live up to his inflated expectations - perhaps if he'd actually bothered to attend the wards when he was a student he'd (a) have had a more accurate idea of the profession he'd signed up for (b) be able to clerk someone in under 90 minutes, preferably without sounding totally clueless.

(My favourite Adam quote so far: "my instincts told me there was something wrong with her"... wow, 6th sense Adam! Though the fact that you'd just been bleeped by a nurse to say that the patient was SOB from heart failure might have been a clue as well)

It's not that he's useless that I mind, it's the preposterous implication that his superior talent/ 'pedigree' [epsiode 1] isn't being given a chance to flourish. I'm sure he's just trying to cover up his gnawing insecurity and the weight of family expectations, but it's still bloody irritating.

I'm quite impressed with Kier (at least, the bits they've chosen to show us). But yes, he's a bit patronising to the others in the house.

Agree with all of the above, however I do really like the way Adam interacts with the patients. He appears to genuinely care.

Kier seems pretty good with the patients too, although living with him must be erm interesting, he seems quite pompous, the other juniors seem to handle him really well though. I know of F1´s who would have told him where to go :biggrin:
This programme is the best sitcom since Happy Days and there's isn't a Fonz in sight!

Sorry I had to mention that. I just did I really did.
Is it just me, or does someone try to rape suzi in the teaser for the next episode?
The footage we see is such a minuscule proportion of time they'll have spent working and it's edited to be 'entertaining'. Important to remember that when drawing conclusions about them.
Reply 849
I thoroughly dislike that Cambridge woman who falied her first year exams. She is pretty useless, and not confident.

John is the best. He is an absoloute legend.
Original post by WhiteBlankPage
but as a F1/F2 are you allowed to choose what wards you would do work experience in

What the ****?
Reply 851
Original post by navarre
I thoroughly dislike that Cambridge woman who falied her first year exams. She is pretty useless, and not confident.

John is the best. He is an absoloute legend.

This guy speaks the truth :biggrin:

I'm wondering when the hell we're actually gonna see andy doing anything, atm he seems like an extra lol
Reply 852
What the ****?

Didn't you know? You get paid for doing work experience now. And you do it as an F1. Oh and you get to pick where you do it. Score!
Reply 853
Original post by navarre
Not as harsh as spending six years at the best medical school in the country and still not being able to find a vein on a leg.s

They're FY1s & it's reality TV, FFS!

I'd like to see some of the armchair critics on here feature in XYZ years time, if they make it that far... :wink:
Reply 854
Original post by Cheesecakefactory
Is it just me, or does someone try to rape suzi in the teaser for the next episode?
It's not rape, it's a struggle snuggle. :colone:
Iv'e only watched the first episode so far but it has really inspired me to become a doctor. I never really considered it before thinking it didnt seem like something id be able to cope with but after some research im seriously considering it now. :smile:
Reply 856
Original post by navarre
I know they're F1s. But that doesn't mean they're equally capable doctors. As with any profession, there are good doctors and bad doctors. The blond woman in A&E looks like a FAR more capable doctor than the Cambridge one.

Being awesome at phlebotomy =/= being a good doctor.
It's one practical skill & one that's quite susceptible to practise practise practising.
In my last job there was a patient where eventually my (fabulous) FY1 couldn't get peripheral bloods, I couldn't get enough peripheral blood & my Consultant couldn't get any (!) He's one of the best doctors I've worked with.

& to let you in on two things:
- We don't usually start taking people's bloods from their feet - needing to go there is often a bad sign!
- The 'easy' bloods are usually done by medical students/nurses/phlebotomists - needing to do bloods as a doctor can also be an ominous sign!

The A&E doctor is an FY2. I think if you're going to start comparing doctors then same grade at least would be fairer, no?

& really - what makes better TV? Everyone in the cast has their role.
Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge practical procedure fail Cambridge Cambridge Cambridge
Random Uni Random Uni Random Uni practical procedure fail Random Uni Random Uni Random Uni
(edited 13 years ago)

I certainly hope it's just you.
Original post by Renal
It's not rape, it's a struggle snuggle. :colone:

She looked like she loved it, tbh.

(Disclaimer: I love suzi)
Reply 859
She looked like she loved it, tbh.

(Disclaimer: I love suzi)

Was it you? :hump:

Quick Reply

Latest