The Student Room Group

No idea what to do after alevel

Hi, so I previously wanted to do medicine but I didn’t get the gcse grades for it nor did I get into chemistry alevel. I take psychology, biology and history now and I’m not sure where these 3 alevels could take me. I like psychology so far but I’m not sure if I’m truly passionate for it yet. I really wanted to be a doctor but I can’t anymore. Does anyone know any jobs/degrees in uni related to psychology and biology? Cheers.
Reply 1
Why do you want to be a doctor? What is it about being a doctor that attracts you to that job role?
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
Why do you want to be a doctor? What is it about being a doctor that attracts you to that job role?

I really like medicine in general and helping people. I’ve always been interested in it
Reply 3
Original post by ivy345
I really like medicine in general and helping people. I’ve always been interested in it

Right - so those two things are pretty generic. There are lots of professions and jobs that entail caring for people. Similarly with "interest in medicine" - plenty of professions that tick that box. Being a doctor is not the bee-all and end-all and right now, the terms and conditions of being a doctor in the UK are pretty horrendous for not very much pay.

Ever thought of nursing? You are caring for people properly, dealing with medical issues and lots of career routes into advanced clinical practitioners which at some levels are more senior than junior junior doctors.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by hotpud
Right - so those two things are pretty generic. There are lots of professions and jobs that entail caring for people. Similarly with "interest in medicine" - plenty of professions that tick that box. Being a doctor is not the bee-all and end-all and right now, the terms and conditions of being a doctor in the UK are pretty horrendous for not very much pay.

Yeah I’m aware of the situation currently in the uk. But being doctor was always the aim. I think I can still achieve it after looking at a few schools that don’t require chemistry. If not a doctor then something in psychology might do. I have time so worrying a lot isn’t worth it for now.
Reply 5
Original post by ivy345
Hi, so I previously wanted to do medicine but I didn’t get the gcse grades for it nor did I get into chemistry alevel. I take psychology, biology and history now and I’m not sure where these 3 alevels could take me. I like psychology so far but I’m not sure if I’m truly passionate for it yet. I really wanted to be a doctor but I can’t anymore. Does anyone know any jobs/degrees in uni related to psychology and biology? Cheers.

My daughter is about to study Zoology at Reading. Alevels were Psychology, Geography and Biology.
Reply 6
Original post by ivy345
Yeah I’m aware of the situation currently in the uk. But being doctor was always the aim. I think I can still achieve it after looking at a few schools that don’t require chemistry. If not a doctor then something in psychology might do. I have time so worrying a lot isn’t worth it for now.

Agreed. But equally a reality check is required. Once you are in med school you will be examined each year and expected to meet very high standards consistently. When you get to the final stages, you are ranked across the UK cohort. The lower you are, the more limited your options in terms of your medical career. It is brutal and not for everyone. I would simply urge you to pause and consider that if you didn't get the grades this time around, realistically, what is going to change over the next 10 years?

That was all really. Good luck!
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 7
Trust me, by the end of year 12 you'll change your mind. There were over 100 people who joined medical society in my school and only about 20 applied to medicine so its too early to be making decisions. No you can't do medicine, yes you'll probably find an allied healthcare course or a bioscience course, or who knows, you'll decide on something else!

Quick Reply

Latest