The Student Room Group

Should I mention I watched This is Going to Hurt in my Personal Statement?

Quite self-explanatory from the title.

I watched the show a while back, and when I watched it, quite a few of the scenes stuck with me (maybe in a different way the show was going to convey). It was the first time I was really inspired to be a doctor, and I thought it showed quite a few ways doctors can really impact people's lives.

Obviously, the only problem is that it's a TV show, and not a documentary either. Would medical schools look down on me for mentioning it?
From my understanding, the show was based off a book by a former doctor that drew on his actual experiences working for the NHS. Maybe give it a read to see if the book is as inspiring and mention it that way?
Original post by tastierspoon460
Quite self-explanatory from the title.

I watched the show a while back, and when I watched it, quite a few of the scenes stuck with me (maybe in a different way the show was going to convey). It was the first time I was really inspired to be a doctor, and I thought it showed quite a few ways doctors can really impact people's lives.

Obviously, the only problem is that it's a TV show, and not a documentary either. Would medical schools look down on me for mentioning it?

I would read the book as well - if nothing else, it'll deepen your understanding. Perhaps also link it with your own work experience - personalise it a little as I'm sure lots of people will have seen the movie and/or read the books. Or even link it to current news like junior doctor strikes - just something that will make your answer stand out and show you've thought it through.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending