The Student Room Group

OCR A2 History: Russia and its Rulers 1855-1964 discussion thread 10 June

Scroll to see replies

Just a quick note about question predicting, OCR have been really unpredictable lately. In the AS Germany exam, what was essentially the same question came up four times in a row from June 09 until January 2011.

Also, don't really understand how there can just be a question on war alone or most significant war. As far as I'm aware, Alexander III was never involved in ay wars. And I thought you'd have to include all leaders in every question?
If you look at past questions, war as a topic alone has never come up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
The Cold-War - placing it-in comparison with the other-wars that it exhibited change & continuity with.

In-this post, I will be discussing the effects of the Cold-War on the development of Russian-government. First matter that one should note, is-that the Cold-War was largely a unique-war & thus, placing it-in comparison with the other-wars during the period is-not easy. This is largely because the Cold-War saw no-direct armed-conflict between the two-superpowers/participants, the USA and the USSR. What did occur however, armed-conflict wise, was in-direct backing provided by the two main-participants to 'hot' conflict-zones around the world, like the Communist North-Korea - USSR - and the Capitalist South Korea - USA - that subsequently brought about the Korean-war. The main-continuity here is in-relation to WW2 - the war which the Cold-War stemmed from - in-that there was very-little change in the actual structure and organisation of Russian Government.

Firstly and perhaps one of the most crucial differences about the Cold-War in-relation to-other wars was its sheer-length combined with-an inability for one-side to achieve victory. This length was important in-the sense that it meant the USSR had to constantly year-on-year spend large-sways of expenditure on trying to keep up-with the USA in-terms of its groundbreaking technological-advances. The space-program and Sputnik 1, the nuclear-program and the USSR's first hydrogen-bomb in 1949 & a variety of other cripplingly costly-programs that the USSR was forced in-to creating in-order to 'keep-up' in-a-sense with the USA. However, crucially unlike the USA, the USSR economy was a largely-failing one and the evidence or result of-this can be-seen in-the USSR's bankruptcy in-the late 1980's. Thus, the Cold-War like the pre-1914 wars & WW1 and contrastingly to-WW2(Stalin argued that it showed the superior-ideology of Communism), showed Russia to-be once again inferior in-terms of its political, economic-system etc. All of-this expenditure on defense/technology came-at great-expense to consumer-industries etc. - that were thriving in the-west and particularly, the USA - & heavy-industry barely managed to keep-up with the ever-increasing expenditure required to-meet the demands of the USSR-state during the Cold-War.

One of the main-continuity's with the Cold-War is that of-which existed during the course-of WW2, that-is the instilling of fear in-to the Russian peoples that Communism could potentially be destroyed by either Nazi-Fascists as during WW2 or by Capitalist-dogs like the USA during the Cold-War. Thus, the propaganda demanded total loyalty to-the Communist-party and leader by creating a mystical enemy and this was in-order to ensure Communisms of-course glorious and inevitable(as the propaganda portrayed) victory over its inferior-enemies, as-long as people conformed to the strategic-planning of the Bolsheviks of-course! ie. turning a blind-eye to Stalinist totalitarianism. This for-example more specifically, allowed Stalin to continue his political-purges unhindered - many more innocent-people were killed. One-example of this would be the Leningrad-affair in-1948, in-which the entire-Bolshevik leadership at-Leningrad were arrested and executed. The Doctors-plot also, were nine Soviet-doctors were arrested and executed for plotting a supposed conspiracy to kill military-leaders...this happened just before Stalins death in-1953...purges never went away under Stalin. The wars such-as WW2 and the Cold-War allowed them to-be continually justified/excused and thus, people turned a blind-eye to-the now unstoppable-machine that was Stalinist permanent-terror...though they certainly never had a choice & it-would take Stalin's-death in 1953 to-see its demise under the-guidance of Krushchev, whose more Liberal-Communist ideology interestingly was largely-formed by the Cold-War(see why below.)...a-war that Stalin had used in-part to justify the exact-opposite.

CHANGE<<<>>>DEFENSE
The Cold-War pulled two-ways, making it unique from the other-wars during this period. The pre-1914 wars pulled for change ie. Crimean-war created a more western economic-system(very-'Russian' still-though), WW1 pulled-for-change ie. a Marxist-based system of governance and the Civil-War and WW2 reinforced defense and created muted-change - if-any. ie. the Bolsheviks further consolidated their already established-power.

CHANGE
The Cold-War pulled for 'change', in-a similar-way to what the wars had done before the Bolsheviks seized-power and this, distinguishing in-that sense from WW2. Clearly, Kruschevs more Liberal-Communist ideology/era can be-seen as a direct-product of the Cold-War and its demands though there was certainly a personal-aspect for Krushchev of wanting genuine-change for-the people of Russia just like there had-been an-element of-this with Tsar Alexander II before-him. This change came-about because Western-stereotypes(negative-ones) of Soviet-Russia as a totalitarian/repressive regime had been allowed to-be created/reinforced under Stalin after-WW2 through the actions of his police-chief Beria, for-example. The image of Soviet-Russia/Communism was crucial because the Cold-War was an international-conflict between two-conflicting ideologies, Communism needed to appeal to-the other-countries(for a 'world revolution' to-ensure the preservation of Communism) and thus, many-people like Krushchev perceived Stalinist totalitarianism and extreme-repression, as certainly only serving to promote Western-Liberal Democracy and thus, handing-victory to Russia's enemies like the USA & ensuring that Communism will-forever stay in-one or just a few countries and thus, potentially meet its-demise...it-is an internationalist-ideology after-all.

DEFENSE
However the Cold-War also pulled for 'defense' or the 'norm' in-many ways -as seen during the Civil-War and particularly/mainly, WW2. This was because there were other-demands of the Cold-War that were much-more hostile like technological-race, the space-race and the nuclear-issue, that of-which would show extreme hostility's and an absolute readiness of action by-both sides during the Cuban-missile-crisis of 1964. Additionally, there was never any question of whether or not to suppress revolts/uprisings in-the USSR's satellite-states this can be seen during the Hungarian uprising during 1964 - the army and tanks were sent-in, nobody in-the Bolshevik high-command questioned this Stalinist-esque response(repression in-that sense was seen as integral to-the survival of-the state still). This was largely because of the nature of-the Cold-War, the USSR could not afford to be portrayed as a weakening-state, it had-to portray or present the image of itself as a constant, strengthening and self-confident state to the USA. Thus, the Cold-War one could-argue was a rather large-hinderance to-the modernization of Russia both economically and politically, as its drained Soviet-resources and created once-again as occurred during WW2 that overriding-sense of needing to-do everything for the self-preservation of-the Soviets and Communism. When this feeling/sense occurs in-the high-echelons of the Bolshevik-party of-their state as a-result of a perceived threat, they maintain/are given an excuse to maintain their tried and trusted methods of governance(one-party, one-rulers...no-questions asked), even if during the Cold-War the extreme repression-aspect of government(ie. there was a 'thaw' in extreme-repression)was not on or anywhere near-the same-level as that which occurred under the Stalinist-terror during WW2.

Once again, this is a discussion, so feel free to add things - on the same subject or a different one - or even challenge the things that I have said, maybe offer better example etc!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 102
Original post by simonc1993
Just a quick note about question predicting, OCR have been really unpredictable lately. In the AS Germany exam, what was essentially the same question came up four times in a row from June 09 until January 2011.

Also, don't really understand how there can just be a question on war alone or most significant war. As far as I'm aware, Alexander III was never involved in ay wars. And I thought you'd have to include all leaders in every question?

Valid-point! :biggrin: but we'll see-anyway. Predicting is predicting, I'm hoping for a-question based around war but that does not-mean I'm not revising everything-else. Good-point about Alexander III, not so-sure really.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GraviticWar
Valid-point! :biggrin: but we'll see-anyway. Predicting is predicting, I'm hoping for a-question based around war but that does not-mean I'm not revising everything-else. Good-point about Alexander III, not so-sure really.

Maybe in order to include Alex III, you'd have to mention the impact which the wars under Alex II had on him? Tenuous, but the Russo-Turkish War for example caused unrest because of the splitting up of some of the Baltic states due to the Treaty of Berlin (I think??). This unrest arguably contributed to Alex II's assassination, which in turn caused Alex III's reactionary policies?

Or, use it to undermine the argument that war is always the locomotive of change...there was clearly change under Alex III, and this wasn't down to war?

Just suggestions, haha.
Reply 104
Original post by flywithemma
Maybe in order to include Alex III, you'd have to mention the impact which the wars under Alex II had on him? Tenuous, but the Russo-Turkish War for example caused unrest because of the splitting up of some of the Baltic states due to the Treaty of Berlin (I think??). This unrest arguably contributed to Alex II's assassination, which in turn caused Alex III's reactionary policies?

Or, use it to undermine the argument that war is always the locomotive of change...there was clearly change under Alex III, and this wasn't down to war?

Just suggestions, haha.

Wow, very-good points there! Absolutely, all-of what you have suggested there is valid. So, basically you could as one-line of argument say that even though there was no-actual war under Alexander III, the wars that occurred under Alexander II had far-reaching consequences in-that they managed to effect Alexander III in-many in-direct-ways ie. war is fairly-significant in-that sense.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GraviticWar
Wow, very-good points there! Absolutely, all-of what you have suggested there is valid. So, basically you could as one-line of argument say that even though there was no-actual war under Alexander III, the wars that occurred under Alexander II had far-reaching consequences in-that they managed to effect Alexander III in-many in-direct-ways ie. war is fairly-significant in-that sense.

Yeah, it also gives you the chance to look at more long reaching consequences of war rather than just the short term ones which you'd normally think of.
Original post by simonc1993

Yeah as Emma has said, The Russo-Turkish war (1877-78) was the key war under Alexander III (1881 - 1894) as it affected his policies, it went the same as the other wars under the Tsars,

Tom :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 107
Plan for Assess the view that Russian rulers were opposed to change during the period 1855 1964

Throughout the period of 1855 -1964 the Rulers of Russia were influenced heavily by their different ideologies. Although they differed slightly, with the Romanovs believing they had been divinely chosen by God whilst the Bolsheviks believed they had to be the dictators of the proletariat before they could come to power both were similar in one respect they were concerned with preserving their authority and control as well as Russia’s world status. Therefore, economic, social and political change only ever really occurred when one of these aspects were threatened either by social unrest or by the failure or threat of war.

Economic - industrialisation in order to catch up with the west Wittes great Spurt, 5 year Plans - NEP? (social unrest?)
Social emancipation, collectivisation,
Political zemstvo, duma (due to social unrest), Provisional Government

However, although change occurred (although somewhat reluctantly!) there were times throughout the period that it was opposed and repression rather than reform was chosen as a way for the Rulers of Russia to maintain their absolute power. Such methods include the use of the secret police, propaganda and the restriction of political and economic freedom.

Undoing reforms Alexander III, Nic II, Stalin,
Secret Police all periods
Cult of Personality - Tsars + Stalin

Concluding Section
Draw together all arguments

Conclusion judgement

Don't think it's particularly strong?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yesioo
Plan for Assess the view that Russian rulers were opposed to change during the period 1855 1964

Throughout the period of 1855 -1964 the Rulers of Russia were influenced heavily by their different ideologies. Although they differed slightly, with the Romanovs believing they had been divinely chosen by God whilst the Bolsheviks believed they had to be the dictators of the proletariat before they could come to power both were similar in one respect they were concerned with preserving their authority and control as well as Russia’s world status. Therefore, economic, social and political change only ever really occurred when one of these aspects were threatened either by social unrest or by the failure or threat of war.

Economic - industrialisation in order to catch up with the west Wittes great Spurt, 5 year Plans - NEP? (social unrest?)
Social emancipation, collectivisation,
Political zemstvo, duma (due to social unrest), Provisional Government

However, although change occurred (although somewhat reluctantly!) there were times throughout the period that it was opposed and repression rather than reform was chosen as a way for the Rulers of Russia to maintain their absolute power. Such methods include the use of the secret police, propaganda and the restriction of political and economic freedom.

Undoing reforms Alexander III, Nic II, Stalin,
Secret Police all periods
Cult of Personality - Tsars + Stalin

Concluding Section
Draw together all arguments

Conclusion judgement

Don't think it's particularly strong?

hiya,

Firstly, this essay plan is good, but it might be too long to do within an hour.
Secondly, I would address the premise of the question first, not second, then introduce where the Tsars/Communists were not reluctant to change.
Thirdly, I wouldn't divide the essay into two, I would have three paragraphs, social economical and political and sort your second half of this essay plan into them.

I hope this has helped,

Reply 109
Original post by crocker710
hiya,

Firstly, this essay plan is good, but it might be too long to do within an hour.
Secondly, I would address the premise of the question first, not second, then introduce where the Tsars/Communists were not reluctant to change.
Thirdly, I wouldn't divide the essay into two, I would have three paragraphs, social economical and political and sort your second half of this essay plan into them.

I hope this has helped,

Totally agree about the length! Having trouble writing essays in less then 1.5 hours at the moment :emo: Would something like this be better?

Assess the view that Russian rulers were opposed to change during the period 1855 1964

Throughout the period of 1855 -1964 the Rulers of Russia were influenced heavily by their different ideologies. Although they differed slightly, with the Romanovs believing they had been divinely chosen by God whilst the Bolsheviks believed they had to be the dictators of the proletariat before they could come to power both were similar in one respect they were concerned with preserving their authority and control as well as Russia’s world status. Therefore, economic, social and political change only ever really occurred when one of these aspects were threatened either by social unrest or by the failure or threat of war and if either of these aspects were not present, change was brutally opposed.

Social

For - poor housing conditions for working class and peasantry, secret police, propaganda, censorship

Againt - emancipation of the serfs, collectivisation, stolypins reforms

Political

For - lack of political freedom for peasants and workers, repression of opposition

Against - zemstva, duma

Economic

For - redemption payments, procurement of grain

Against - industrialisation, NEp, 5 year plans

Better? I still think it's too long.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by yesioo
Totally agree about the length! Having trouble writing essays in less then 1.5 hours at the moment :emo: Would something like this be better?

Assess the view that Russian rulers were opposed to change during the period 1855 1964

Throughout the period of 1855 -1964 the Rulers of Russia were influenced heavily by their different ideologies. Although they differed slightly, with the Romanovs believing they had been divinely chosen by God whilst the Bolsheviks believed they had to be the dictators of the proletariat before they could come to power both were similar in one respect they were concerned with preserving their authority and control as well as Russia’s world status. Therefore, economic, social and political change only ever really occurred when one of these aspects were threatened either by social unrest or by the failure or threat of war and if either of these aspects were not present, change was brutally opposed.

Social

For - poor housing conditions for working class and peasantry, secret police, propaganda, censorship

Againt - emancipation of the serfs, collectivisation, stolypins reforms

Political

For - lack of political freedom for peasants and workers, repression of opposition

Against - zemstva, duma

Economic

For - redemption payments, procurement of grain

Against - industrialisation, NEp, 5 year plans

Better? I still think it's too long.

I think this is a much better essay plan, the only thing you're missing is the provisional government, it's a key key point in an essay about reform or repression, if it helps your argument you can under/over play it's significance but you don't want to miss it out.
On the front of timing, try writing a themed paragraph in 12 - 14 minutes. This is where you should aim. Do it three times (one for each paragraph) and see how you get along,

I hope this has helped,

Reply 111
I think this is a much better essay plan, the only thing you're missing is the provisional government, it's a key key point in an essay about reform or repression, if it helps your argument you can under/over play it's significance but you don't want to miss it out.
On the front of timing, try writing a themed paragraph in 12 - 14 minutes. This is where you should aim. Do it three times (one for each paragraph) and see how you get along,

I hope this has helped,

Tom

Definitely be placing the provisional in there somewhere! Will do the timed paragraphs now (good idea!)

Thank you! You and GravaticWar have seriously been more a help than my history teacher. :biggrin:
Original post by yesioo
Definitely be placing the provisional in there somewhere! Will do the timed paragraphs now (good idea!)

Thank you! You and GravaticWar have seriously been more a help than my history teacher. :biggrin:

:biggrin: I'm sure your history teacher was / is as good as both of us put together :smile:, and let me know how the timed paragraphs go,

Is there anything in particular anyone is suspecting will come up on the exam?

I've tried to plan out the possible areas we might be asked on, so thought I'd put them up here for people to see. :smile: I'm going to plan essays for each section.

Lives of :
The Peasants, Urban Workers and possibly the Middle class? (Kulacks etc)
Industrial Policy
Agricultural policy
Signifigance of Wars
Political Turning points
Changes in Political system
Political opposition
Social: Rights, living conditions etc

I hope people find this helpful, I've found the rest of this thread has been so want to chip in some how :P!
If I've missed anything please let me know! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GraceOfSpades
Is there anything in particular anyone is suspecting will come up on the exam?

Russian history between 1855 and 1964? (God I felt like an arse before I'd even written that!!)

My advice is don't try second guess the exam, have a sound grounding in at least 3 of the topics minimum, so you are definitely covered. To be totally prepared obviously go for the full four but you obviously will have to divide your time between different exams.
Russian history between 1855 and 1964? (God I felt like an arse before I'd even written that!!)

My advice is don't try second guess the exam, have a sound grounding in at least 3 of the topics minimum, so you are definitely covered. To be totally prepared obviously go for the full four but you obviously will have to divide your time between different exams.

Haha I guess it was a pretty obvious question!! :P I really meant is there any areas which hadn't been on the paper in the last few years which are likely to come up, but I suppose OCR are always unpredictable..

What do you mean by the 4 topics? I've been breaking everything down by social, political and economic, hope I've not missed something! :P
Haha I guess it was a pretty obvious question!! :P I really meant is there any areas which hadn't been on the paper in the last few years which are likely to come up, but I suppose OCR are always unpredictable..

What do you mean by the 4 topics? I've been breaking everything down by social, political and economic, hope I've not missed something! :P

These are the four 'Themes' which the specification says they can ask you.

Russian rulers:similarities and differences in the main domestic policies of Alexander II, Alexander III, Nicholas II, the Provisional Government, Lenin, Stalin, Khrushchev.

The nature of government: autocracy, dictatorship and totalitarianism; change and continuity in central administration; methods of repression and enforcement; the extent and impact of reform; the extent and effectiveness of opposition both before and after 1917.

The impact of the dictatorial regimes on the economy and society of the Russian Empire and the USSR: changes to living and working conditions of urban and rural people; limitations on personal, political and religious freedom; extent of economic and social changes.

Impact of war and revolution on the development of Russian government: the effects of the Crimean War, the Japanese War, 1905 Revolution, 1917 Revolutions, World War One, World War Two, the Cold War.

(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 117

The impact of the dictatorial regimes on the economy and society of the Russian Empire and the USSR: changes to living and working conditions of urban and rural people; limitations on personal, political and religious freedom; extent of economic and social changes.

That's the theme that I'm not really-covering though I can-write an A-grade essay on-peasants...I think! Well I got an A-grade when I did one of-them in-class. I'm confident I can write an A*-grade answer on the nature of government similarities/differences and war as a turning-point in the development of Russian government. Opposition it-depends, if it was why opposition wasn't and was effective ie. the use of the army and contextual-factors under the Tsars and Communists etc. then probably an A-grade'ish' answer maybe a solid A-grade but if it was an opposition-question that required you to-look at each type-of-opposition like political parties and national-minorities and judge their success etc. then more-like a B-grade answer. Any question on social/economic policy's solely, I'm just going to-avoid...I could probably write a high C-grade answer at-best for that. If I open the paper on June 10th and see even only one of those two-themes/questions that I'm confident I can get an A*-grade a,t then I will be very-pleased indeed!(2...pfff...then I won't be able to contain my-excitement!!! :biggrin:)...watch the questions be disastrous though!...lol.
(edited 12 years ago)

The nature of government: autocracy, dictatorship and totalitarianism; change and continuity in central administration; methods of repression and enforcement; the extent and impact of reform; the extent and effectiveness of opposition both before and after 1917.

Ah I see! I remember reading that in the Mark scheme now :smile:

I'm the most concerned about the nature of government section...Mainly the first few things that are listed such as central administration etc. I find it hard to make an essay out of sometimes and always mix up my Presidium/ central committee etc etc.

I'm going to be making some essay plans later this week, should I put them up on here?
Reply 119
Ah I see! I remember reading that in the Mark scheme now :smile:

I'm the most concerned about the nature of government section...Mainly the first few things that are listed such as central administration etc. I find it hard to make an essay out of sometimes and always mix up my Presidium/ central committee etc etc.

I'm going to be making some essay plans later this week, should I put them up on here?

Sure! I will be doing this-to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending