The Student Room Group

Official Dissertation Thread - 2011-2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by affinity89
I went for the thermal. At Lancaster, we had a binders on site [in the library basement]. He said that he had noticed boys tend to go for the wire and girls the thermal - no idea why, but I thought it was quite funny. The thermal was around double the price though, but it looked nice. :redface:

Probably because guys are less concerned with appearance.

Yes, that's a sexist stereotype but I make no apologies!

I went for wire for mine, but wire binding was stated in the regulations (not that I think thermal would have mattered).
dont think im gonna finish my dissertation, does anyone know what the consequences are?
it is not that i need a high mark but i just dont think im going to pass
I need to finish my redraft :smile: and leave it in to get bound tomorrow. Ours is required to be thermal bound, it'll look quite professional tbf but we need 2 copies so £20 to get it bound.
Ffs! Turn it in has given me a 27% similarity match :frown:

That's not good! everything on the match overview (left hand site) is 1% or less..

How screwed am i?
Original post by tsrstar
Ffs! Turn it in has given me a 27% similarity match :frown:

That's not good! everything on the match overview (left hand site) is 1% or less..

How screwed am i?

Have you referenced everything? You should be fine. How long does turnitin take?
Original post by tradingmyheartforyours
Have you referenced everything? You should be fine. How long does turnitin take?

Turnit in takes a few mins to bring up the similarity report. I'm worried now, i don't want to hand it in... :frown: Craaaaaap! 27% similarity will surely attract some attention.

I have referenced everything (Atleast i think i have) Last ref count stood at 80+ but the similarty report has highlighted bits and pieces. Theres no chunks of highlighted parts so i'm hoping it's nothing.
You'll be fine :smile: don't stress :smile: and celebrate the fact It's all over.
To everyone still doing their dissertation, keep going! you're almost there, don't give up!

And to those who have just finished, well done, you've done it :smile:
You'll be fine :smile: don't stress :smile: and celebrate the fact It's all over.

I've handed it in now. It was far too late to do anything about the turnitin report. :frown:

I was expecting more... For some strange reason i pictured myself strutting into uni with my dissertation and receiving a round of applause :tongue: Instead, i found myself running to uni in the rain while using my dissertation as an umbrella and handing it over to an old man with a clipboard.

Having handed it in, i feel a little lost now. I think I’ve enjoyed the stress and sleepless nights, it made me feel productive :redface:

Good luck everyone!
Original post by tsrstar
Turnit in takes a few mins to bring up the similarity report. I'm worried now, i don't want to hand it in... :frown: Craaaaaap! 27% similarity will surely attract some attention.

I have referenced everything (Atleast i think i have) Last ref count stood at 80+ but the similarty report has highlighted bits and pieces. Theres no chunks of highlighted parts so i'm hoping it's nothing.

Is it not because of your reference list/bibliography (the sources in the reference list also appearing in works by others?)

I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 1230
Yes! Congratulations to everyone who's finished now. I just handed mine in. I got soaked in the rain and it was pretty anti-climactic because I've had it done for ages so I didn't get that buzz of last minute working. That said, I was made up with it. Not because I think it'll get a high mark or is really good, but because the subject is WAY AWESOME. Can Leibniz coherently account for mind-body interaction? Hell yeah he can, but only if we redefine all the terms like proper irritating philosophers. Aw Yeah. Also my supervisor is just incredibly fun and great.
The more and more I edit this dissertation, the less and less confident about it I become :frown: Is that a sign to leave it the hell alone for while? :p:
Original post by amizzle91
The more and more I edit this dissertation, the less and less confident about it I become :frown: Is that a sign to leave it the hell alone for while? :p:

:yep:
Original post by tsrstar
I've handed it in now. It was far too late to do anything about the turnitin report. :frown:

I was expecting more... For some strange reason i pictured myself strutting into uni with my dissertation and receiving a round of applause :tongue: Instead, i found myself running to uni in the rain while using my dissertation as an umbrella and handing it over to an old man with a clipboard.

Having handed it in, i feel a little lost now. I think I’ve enjoyed the stress and sleepless nights, it made me feel productive :redface:

Good luck everyone!

My friends and I were discussing the anticlimactic handing in and how the lady was just like put it in the box whilst how we feel we deserve a fanfare. At least some else agrees.
When I handed my undergrad one in, the woman said "you look relieved!" That's coz I was, given that I'd failed to start, let alone hand in, the other coursework assignment that had been due in the previous week :colondollar:
I had a lovely chat with Jill, the department's administrator, when I handed mine in, asking how things have been and if I've kept up with things alright. I suppose I'm one of the minority of students who she knows by name, and quite well, having been a trouble maker for the last eight years :p:

Which reminds me, I need to send both her and an academic an email...
Original post by River85
Is it not because of your reference list/bibliography (the sources in the reference list also appearing in works by others?)

I wouldn't worry too much.

I included the reference list in the dissertation when i uploaded it, i've just gone through it now and all the references in the list are highlighted. Most of the highlighted parts in the main section have a reference next to them, but i've noticed approx 2-3 don't :/ Not only that, but they were direct quotes from the literature which must have slipped through. 27% similarity does seem quite steep, i've never gone over 10%.

My friends and I were discussing the anticlimactic handing in and how the lady was just like put it in the box whilst how we feel we deserve a fanfare. At least some else agrees.

I don't know why i'm dissapointed after handing it in, it's not like i was expecting fireworks or a parade, at the very least a 'well done/congratulations' or a hi-five would have put a smile on my face.

Anyone here get their work printed out and bound by staples... :eek: <-- The look on my face when the little old lady told me how much it would cost.
totally depends on your uni. At my uni, if you hand in late, it's capped at 40%, but that goes down with each day you leave it.

Other universities will give you 0 for a late submission.

I'd say just finish it as best you can and hand it in...
To be honest, I would say stop asking what will happen if you don't finish it on time and go and try to finish it.
I handed mine in a little early last year - although a lot later than my closet uni friend [she submitted hers before Christmas - the deadline was just before Easter!]. Most of my friends were still working on theirs, so I couldn't really drag them out to celebrate. Instead, I got a Diggles milkshake and went on the swings in the playground with my friend [the one mentioned just then]. So rock and roll lol. :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending