The Student Room Group

Medicine Grades

I know all universities are different, but what sort of GCSE grades would I need to get to have a hop of studying medicine? Some university websites say 7 A*'s but some say at least 6 A's which is obviously very different. In reality, what sort of grades would I need? And do some accept lower grades than others, and if so, where? I know I would need to get AAA at A-Level if not higher. Also, is there anything that can be done to make up for not so great grades at GCSE, as obviously there would be no excusing A-Level, e.g. voluntary work?
Specifically people who have/are studying medicine, what GCSE grades did you get?

Thank you to anyone who answers! :smile:
Ideally a mixture of A*/A/B grades at GCSE, but check specific university websites to see what it is that they want. As you're aware, the requirements do vary quite widely.
The universities have differing requirements, Birmingham wants 8A* where Hull York want 6 A-C according to this

However, just because you meet the basic requirements it doesn't mean you'll get in. Many other applicants will have 8A*s or more.

Do the best you can, then get lots of voluntary work and aim for good A Levels and a high BMAT/UKCAT score :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending