The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Could I ask just how difficult an S,1 or S,S is to achieve? If I were to do STEP II/III I would ask a tutor (who's very good) to teach me it and I'm someone who has a good understanding of Maths, up to and including AS, rather than being someone who doesn't know what they're doing in theory when they answer A Level questions but keeps practising papers until they get full marks.
rupertj
but keeps practising papers until they get full marks.

That's what I'd recommend for STEP. There are a lot of online resources that are helpful (The Siklos book is very good).

Getting top end marks is of course going to be tricky, considering it's marked relative only to those sitting the STEPs (the calibre of which is usually very high). So summarizing I'd say...difficultish?
Reply 22
KAISER_MOLE
That's what I'd recommend for STEP. There are a lot of online resources that are helpful (The Siklos book is very good).

Getting top end marks is of course going to be tricky, considering it's marked relative only to those sitting the STEPs (the calibre of which is usually very high). So summarizing I'd say...difficultish?

What I meant by those people who get full marks in their A Level modules is that in A level maths, you can learn to implement the formulae like a robot, without achieving any understanding of what you're doing mathematically. Lots of people manage to do this at my school.

Do you think that most people who get into Cambridge for Maths could score SS or S1?
rupertj

Do you think that most people who get into Cambridge for Maths could score SS or S1?

No, roughly 12% of those who sit STEP II/III achieve an S grade in either paper, and the vast majority of candidates will be Cambridge offer holders.
Reply 24
What are the percentages needed for the different STEP 'grades'?
Reply 25
Hashshashin
No, roughly 12% of those who sit STEP II/III achieve an S grade in either paper, and the vast majority of candidates will be Cambridge offer holders.

Well in that case does a very large number of Cambridge offer-holders fail to meet the conditions of the offer?
Reply 26
rupertj
Well in that case does a very large number of Cambridge offer-holders fail to meet the conditions of the offer?

Yes, I've heard figures of up to 30% and more.

edit: If you're interested in the exact numbers, I think the stats are available online. But there are definitely quite a few who fail their STEP offers.
Y__
Yes, I've heard figures of up to 30% and more.

But that doesn't mean they are not forgiving. They know for a large group of people it's difficult so if you narrowly miss the grade there's still a significant chance you'll get in anyway.

(Butting in again from a CompSci, but hey, I got STEP with my offer :p:)
I've been asked to get 1,1. I've seen someone on TSR with a 1,3 / 2,2 offer though (Girton, I think ).
Aye, I don't think you're giving high performing A-level candidates enough credit, they have a bit of understanding. You do need a lot more understanding and mathematical acumen for STEP, but it is a standard exam so ideas and tricks crop up again.

There'll be stats for that, and I'd say no, less than half
Reply 30
When I applied I seem to remember there being a sizeable number of colleges for whom 1, 2 was the standard offer. Mine was 1, 1 at Selwyn. Girton (and the female colleges) do seem to have lower offers though.

The best piece of advice I could give about the Siklos booklet is to avoid the answer pages like the plague until you complete a question, otherwise it ruins the objective. There is also a study school at Eastertime which some students are invited to where Siklos and others run sessions to help you get used to STEP questions.
Hashshashin
and the vast majority of candidates will be Cambridge offer holders.

Surprisingly, this isn't the case.

In 2008, 2100 scripts were marked, only about 750 of which were written by Cambridge applicants.

(From the Siklos book)
Reply 32
TheUnbeliever
Surprisingly, this isn't the case.

It would be more instructive for a breakdown ignoring STEP I though. (And including those who go on to apply)
Not suprisingly :P my girton offer is rather low.

AA in double maths. B in any non-GS subject (got 98% in physics last year so that wont be hard to make a B).

and a 1,2 in any order for STEP II and III

:biggrin:
Reply 34
Damn...my offer is AAA and 1,1 in 2 and 3, not one of caius' nicer offers :frown:
Reply 35
Have people already notified UCAS of adding STEP 2 and 3 to the exams to be taken, is this required?
Reply 36
RageC
Have people already notified UCAS of adding STEP 2 and 3 to the exams to be taken, is this required?

I did it last week. I think it is necessary, or unis can't see what results we get. I just sent a short letter to UCAS and my application was changed within a couple of days.
Reply 37
RageC

I'm not sure you have to. I know that Cambridge Assessment need to know your university before you enter, so I'm guessing they might be informed that way

(It became a bit of a hassle for our exam officer trying to enter me last year without a university)
Reply 38
RageC

I'm sure one of my letters last year said that if any of the qualifications included in my offer weren't on UCAS then you had to notify them, just a short letter is fine, and then I was also told to email my other universitys telling them I was adding qualifications
RageC

I didn't last year, and I very much doubt it'll be different this year.

Latest

Trending

Trending