The Student Room Group

Cambridge Maths

Hey guys, I'm currently a year 12 student rn studying pyhsics, maths, fm and computer science. I just wanted to ask what sort of things would indicate if I could be suitable to apply for cambridge's maths course and get in, since I don't want to waste a space on my application next year if there's no point in applying. I can give context on grades, etc if needed.

Thank you.
Original post by reardfqrfdqwar
Hey guys, I'm currently a year 12 student rn studying pyhsics, maths, fm and computer science. I just wanted to ask what sort of things would indicate if I could be suitable to apply for cambridge's maths course and get in, since I don't want to waste a space on my application next year if there's no point in applying. I can give context on grades, etc if needed.

Thank you.

If you're predicted to meet their entry requirements (which are A*A*A for Maths - see here) then that would indicate that it would be appropriate to apply. I suspect you don't have formal predicted grades right now, but I assume you'll have an idea as to the level you're working at. Note, however, that:

There is also a requirement to take STEP.
For 2022 entry there were six applicants per place - so the odds aren't great. (See link above.)
For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least A*A*A* (85% of entrants). (See link above.) So A*A*A* predictions would put you in a lot better position that A*A*A predictions. (I've ignored your fourth A level here.)
Original post by DataVenia
If you're predicted to meet their entry requirements (which are A*A*A for Maths - see here) then that would indicate that it would be appropriate to apply. I suspect you don't have formal predicted grades right now, but I assume you'll have an idea as to the level you're working at. Note, however, that:

There is also a requirement to take STEP.
For 2022 entry there were six applicants per place - so the odds aren't great. (See link above.)
For 2017, 2018 and 2019 entry, the majority of entrants from an A Level background achieved at least A*A*A* (85% of entrants). (See link above.) So A*A*A* predictions would put you in a lot better position that A*A*A predictions. (I've ignored your fourth A level here.)

Thank you for youre reply. Regarding STEP, how long should you give yourself to prepare well enough to get the 1, 1.
Thank you for youre reply. Regarding STEP, how long should you give yourself to prepare well enough to get the 1, 1.

That's a bit of a "How long is a piece of string?" question, I'm afraid. Different people learn at different rates, from different starting points. Also, some people use time more effectively than others.

I'm not sure anyone will be able to give you a reasonable answer to that question. If someone you didn't know asked you how long they should study to get an A* for A level Maths, what would you tell them?
Reply 4

Thank you.

If you end up with A* predictions in both Maths and FM, I’d suggest going for it. You have 4 other options, and you only need 1 offer to firm and 1 to insure, no not much of a risk.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending