The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Well, at university level it's basically just looking at how the Scottish/Irish/Welsh Parliaments have different levels of power that are delegated from the English one, and what that means for parliamentary supremacy. I'd assume you'll also touch on the 'West Lothian' question as well. If any of that appeals to you, then I suppose it would be a simplified version of that.
Reply 2
I cant remember too much cos we did this Unit in January, and we're doing the criminal/civil law/tort/problem solving stuff now for the June exam. You must have done this in Jan?

When we did ours, we did Magistrates & Juries, Stat Interp and Del Leg.

Theres only a number of questions they could ask you apparently so theres only a certain number of things you could revise

On stat interp (sorry to keep going on about it) It will ask for
1) Rules
2) Aids
3) Ads and/or Disads

and for Del Leg, it wil ask for
1) Types
2) Controls
3) Ads and/or Disads

The only thing you dont really know is how many rules for eg they will ask you for, or they may ask for them all, or may let you choose. Like for types of Del Leg, it may say just talk about 2 types.. If that makes sense!

I did mostly exam style passages or timed essays. Because I wasnt sure which rules it would ask about, I would write out a model passage for each rule that could come up (even though only about 2 came up)..

Right i dont think much of what im saying makes sense, il shuttup now. =\
Reply 3
menaa-x
I cant remember too much cos we did this Unit in January, and we're doing the criminal/civil law/tort/problem solving stuff now for the June exam. You must have done this in Jan?

When we did ours, we did Magistrates & Juries, Stat Interp and Del Leg.

Theres only a number of questions they could ask you apparently so theres only a certain number of things you could revise

On stat interp (sorry to keep going on about it) It will ask for
1) Rules
2) Aids
3) Ads and/or Disads

and for Del Leg, it wil ask for
1) Types
2) Controls
3) Ads and/or Disads

The only thing you dont really know is how many rules for eg they will ask you for, or they may ask for them all, or may let you choose. Like for types of Del Leg, it may say just talk about 2 types.. If that makes sense!

I did mostly exam style passages or timed essays. Because I wasnt sure which rules it would ask about, I would write out a model passage for each rule that could come up (even though only about 2 came up)..

Right i dont think much of what im saying makes sense, il shuttup now. =\

heyy thanx alot for replying and it was useful info trus me! :smile: Ours is the other way round, we'v got the Magistrates & Juries, Stat Interp and Del Leg nw, but im retakin the other one, jan tort one :frown: I'll try timing myself with past papers thxx:smile: by the way, is it true that we have to answer 2 questions from civil and 1 from criminal or the other way round? and apparently all the topics come up anyway, so its pointless revisin for jus 1 or 2. One last question lol :p: what did you get for your Jan exam? :smile: x
Reply 4
sweetgyal24
heyy thanx alot for replying and it was useful info trus me! :smile: Ours is the other way round, we'v got the Magistrates & Juries, Stat Interp and Del Leg nw, but im retakin the other one, jan tort one :frown: I'll try timing myself with past papers thxx:smile: by the way, is it true that we have to answer 2 questions from civil and 1 from criminal or the other way round? and apparently all the topics come up anyway, so its pointless revisin for jus 1 or 2. One last question lol :p: what did you get for your Jan exam? :smile: x

Erm you have to answer 3 questions in total :smile: 1 from each section and then a 3rd of your choice. But we'd only studied three sections in class so we could only answer them three, we didnt have a choice because college didnt teach us anymore than that im 'fraid!

And yeah you will get a question on each topic you revise under each section. So under delegated legislation, youre revising types, controls and advantages/disadvantages, you will get a question on each (because theres 3 questions in the section), but you dont know hw the question will be worded. Like i said in the previous post, it might ask for just two controls, might let you choose which controls to talk about, or might specify which controls to talk about. Same goes with the other sections..

I cant remember a lot of what came up last time! I remember it specified two statutory interpretation rules to talk about, said to give just advantages of them i think. Sorry i cant remember that much! Oh and, if you're doing magistrates and juries, be aware that the question might combine an answer for the two together. Our last of the three questions said 'Describe the role of the magistrate AND the jury in an either way offence'.. I'd only revised them as seperate essays so I just had to chop and change my answer!

Im surprised you havent been given the January paper for it in class? Because we've been given the one you's did in January to have a look at. This unit is so hard, with the problem solving etc! I cant problem solve to save my life, eughh!! Good luck :biggrin: x
Reply 5
menaa-x
Erm you have to answer 3 questions in total :smile: 1 from each section and then a 3rd of your choice. But we'd only studied three sections in class so we could only answer them three, we didnt have a choice because college didnt teach us anymore than that im 'fraid!

And yeah you will get a question on each topic you revise under each section. So under delegated legislation, youre revising types, controls and advantages/disadvantages, you will get a question on each (because theres 3 questions in the section), but you dont know hw the question will be worded. Like i said in the previous post, it might ask for just two controls, might let you choose which controls to talk about, or might specify which controls to talk about. Same goes with the other sections..

I cant remember a lot of what came up last time! I remember it specified two statutory interpretation rules to talk about, said to give just advantages of them i think. Sorry i cant remember that much! Oh and, if you're doing magistrates and juries, be aware that the question might combine an answer for the two together. Our last of the three questions said 'Describe the role of the magistrate AND the jury in an either way offence'.. I'd only revised them as seperate essays so I just had to chop and change my answer!

Im surprised you havent been given the January paper for it in class? Because we've been given the one you's did in January to have a look at. This unit is so hard, with the problem solving etc! I cant problem solve to save my life, eughh!! Good luck :biggrin: x

We have been given the sample paper this week :smile: It's just so much to revise lol. Ohh ye the problem questions lol i got an E in jan exam :frown: what did you get? dont worry im sure you'l do fine, jus try to revise and be motivated :p: x
Reply 6
sweetgyal24
We have been given the sample paper this week :smile: It's just so much to revise lol. Ohh ye the problem questions lol i got an E in jan exam :frown: what did you get? dont worry im sure you'l do fine, jus try to revise and be motivated :p: x

lol aaah. My grades are in my sig somewhere.. I got an A but I still wanted my paper back just for general interest, and I got it back yesterday :smile: I think I got 28 in Section 1, 30 in Section 2, and 25 in Section 3 or something. Cant remember the numbers properly. But out of 90 on the paper I got 88 altogether (thats including quality of written work) and in UMS that's 100 somehow =\ Dont know how they work it out!!
I just dont think Ill do as well on this exam..
Good luck anywayy.x
Reply 7
menaa-x
lol aaah. My grades are in my sig somewhere.. I got an A but I still wanted my paper back just for general interest, and I got it back yesterday :smile: I think I got 28 in Section 1, 30 in Section 2, and 25 in Section 3 or something. Cant remember the numbers properly. But out of 90 on the paper I got 88 altogether (thats including quality of written work) and in UMS that's 100 somehow =\ Dont know how they work it out!!
I just dont think Ill do as well on this exam..
Good luck anywayy.x

hey thats awesome! :smile: lucky you, if you got an A in jan exams, ull fly thru these :smile: thnx and good luck to you to x

Latest

Trending

Trending