The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Of course its wrong the worse part is when they act like they deserve it or have actually achieved anythin.

I hope you realise how bitter and envious you come across as being. Just because someone was sent to a private school, whether morally right or wrong, does not by any stretch of the imagination mean that they would not have had to do any work or achieve anything.
This is particularly true of the lesser, local private schools which to be honest are often not much better than the grammars or many comps. If someone went to a private school and did not put in the effort to get sufficient grades for a job then they would not get it regardless of where they went.

Grow up.
strawberry90
people are assuming firstly that everyone who goes to a private school is filthy rich with million of connections. this is just not true.

my parents have put 5 of us through private school at great expense and have sacrificed a lot, so the assumptions people are making here are ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but with our current labour government, if you are poor you get EMA so you can do A-Levels and all this money thrown at you when you go to university. It is middle class parents who get no benefits from this mean tested stuff, and they don't take into account how many children you have!

Middle class pay the most taxes to send you to your state schools, but then if anyone went to a primary private school the government refuse to put lollipop ladies in the private school zone.

If the 7% who are privately educated entered the state system, the government would be able to cope even less, and education would be even more rubbish.

And finally, it is not wrong that privately educated, middle classes take the top jobs, it is inevitable...

they have more aspirations... surrounded by doctors, lawyers, accountants
the need to maintain their current standard of life is recognised (aspire for a well paying job)
they are generally more confident & eloquent... (perform better at interview)
find it easier to relate to adults in powerful positions (again, likely to perform better at interview)

People need to stop the envy of people who go to private schools. It is ridiculous.

If everything you say and seem to stand for is true people like Alan Sugar would not be where they are today.
Reply 102
HappinessHappening
I saw a report in the paper the other day which said that if you're not born into a middle-classed family and sent to a private school (or at least a grammar) it is almost impossible to reach a top position in many professions such as law, medicine and government.

Is this true? A friend of mine is currently applying to law firms in London and he has not been to a private school but he says that the vast majority of people he meets there have (and most have been to Oxbridge).

Is it right that these people are essentially inheriting positions of power and wealth? What can we do to make our society more meritocratic?

It should be like that.
Reply 103
jamesmor1
It's the nepotism that gets on my wick

I love nepotism.. it has made for some very enjoyable work experience which was less about work than it was about shmoozing and going out for drinks and meals on the company card..
Reply 104
strawberry90
people are assuming firstly that everyone who goes to a private school is filthy rich with million of connections. this is just not true.

my parents have put 5 of us through private school at great expense

It is middle class parents who get no benefits from...

Middle class pay the most taxes to send you to your state schools, but then if anyone went to a primary private school the government refuse to put lollipop ladies in the private school zone.

If the 7% who are privately educated entered the state system, the government would be able to cope even less, and education would be even more rubbish.

And finally, it is not wrong that privately educated, middle classes take the top jobs, it is inevitable...

How much did it cost to put 5 children through a private education?

How is it that the middle class rather than those paying higher than the mean wage that get 'no benefit'?

Stats on tax take?

The education system would be 'more rubbish' if you had been in it?

Whats the difference between where you would have been and where you are due to your schooling?
Reply 105
corallie13
If everything you say and seem to stand for is true people like Alan Sugar would not be where they are today.

Using 'emailers'?
Sorry if this has been said already, but why not just bring back Grammar schools? (Obviously with a few changes to the 11+ etc)
It's not what you know it's who you know.
and that will always be the case, so i'm going nowhere in my life- but i'll try anyway :smile:
Reply 108
jinglepupskye

I'm sorry, I assumed a lot about your situation when I shouldn't have. However, for anyone in the low income bracket studying at university they will get more than enough money to survive - which is most students I should imagine.

AspiringLinguist
I disagree that privately educated quite often means better educated. I know many people who have been to state schools (myself included) who have gained better GCSEs than those at private schools. Moreover, education isn't always academic, and I strongly believe that state schools provide a more well-rounded education, thus producing broad-minded individuals which are highly valued by employers.

Regardless of your experience, private schools have smaller class sizes, better facilities, and better teachers. Theres no questioning that your child has a better chance at a private or grammar school than they do at a state school. I don't doubt you yourself would of benefited a great deal if you had gone private. My brother for instance was failed by the state sector. The lessons were too slow, the subjects not hard enough, and the disruption too great. He was a brilliant mathematician but got bored cause they wouldn't let him go beyond A level (no further maths). I went to a private school, and was taught by fantastic mathematicians (indeed both my teachers graduated in mathematics from Cambridge), and was pushed much more than he was. Consequentially I did better, and went to a better university. I don't think I'm any more clever than he is, I just had better opportunities.

You do realize that sports & other extra curricular activities are far more varied in private schools? Not to mention there are often much more subjects on offer to study. How on earth do you gain a more rounded education in the state sector - please elaborate.
smalltownboy
So instead of engaging in my arguments you have just dismissed them with ad-hominem attacks? Good stuff. Really shows your intellectual abilities.

Boo ******* hoo
Reply 110
PAPAdawg
Boo ******* hoo

Shut up and get back to playing with Bullbarings.
Quady
Shut up and get back to playing with Bullbarings.

Do you mean bullbearings?
""""Originally Posted by robin22391
i think private school pupils have a higher dropout rate at uni

Thinking and knowing are two completely different things.

Originally Posted by robin22391
infact i know for sure that a privately run school near me cheats on its courses by giving the students an esssay to copy off the board and send away to be marked.

You think that's any different with state schools?

I've seen teachers using sign language to tell students which tense to use in oral exams. I've seen kids doing 10+ drafts on coursework and teachers re-writing sections. I've seen kids being pushed into less academic ('easier') subjects to improve grades. I've seen kids being given 'example' essays from which they can base their coursework on."""

-by thinking i mean i dont have the figures at hand but have been taught them, therefore i recall them but do not have the info in my hands.

-nothing wrong with drafts as long as the student understands the subject, as for rewriting as long as they dont take it too far...how is a student supposed to learn unless they are corrected. showing the pupil the correct structure is a good teaching technique.
-sign language...thats clearly bad
-being put into "less academic" subjects isnt cheating
-nothing wrong with example essays, it helps you understand the structure of essay writing and to know what a grade A,B,C,D looks like.
Reply 113
PAPAdawg
Do you mean bullbearings?

Are you saying its wasn't endorsed by Nick Leason?

Its sweet you're standing up for it :smile:
Smack
They might have a big mortgage or a large family or expensive bills or in a lot of debt.

Parents fault.
Quady
Are you saying its wasn't endorsed by Nick Leason?

Its sweet you're standing up for it :smile:

Did you mean Nick Leeson?
IGX_RSV2
Parents fault.

Yes and students shouldn't be punished for their parents actions. Hence why students from poor families get massive government support.
Reply 117
nexttime
Well, there are a few different systems. It all started in Rome when they had to divide people into the lower classes which had to do military service and the upper that did not, and systems follow from there. Marx had his own system.

The most famous system would be Registrar General's:
I - professionals
II - Managerial
IIIA - skilled non-manual
IIIB - skilled manual
IV - Semi-skilled manual
V - non-skilled manual.

Clearly referring to profession. The chances of you being born into class V and moving to class III and above are pretty minimal, even if you are extremely talented when you are born.

The correlation between the class you are in and health is pretty amazing - in one part of Glasgow the life expectancy is 82, and in a neighboring, less-wealthy area it is some 28 years less at 56 (less than quite a few African countries). In the past (as recently as 25 years ago) the government actually tried to hide that this was true!

I understand. I thought that you were talking about something else :o: It would be even more unlikely for someone from class V to move up to class I :p:
Reply 118
For the most part (Hence don't provide counter examples)

rich people = smart people.
smart people have smart people genes
smart people genes are passed to their children
smart children get rich because they are smart
The cycle continues...
Ewan
. Regardless of your experience, private schools have smaller class sizes, better facilities, and better teachers.

I could perhaps agree with the first two, but really? Better teachers? Yes, my school does have the odd poor teacher, but there are just as many fantastic, inspiring ones - and we are by no means an exceptional school.

Ewan
. I don't doubt you yourself would of benefited a great deal if you had gone private.

I have received a brilliant education, both academic and otherwise, thanks to the state system, and am very very grateful. I wouldn't change my experience for the world. How exactly do you think I would have benefited? Just curious.

Ewan
My brother for instance was failed by the state sector.

That's such a shame. I don't know anyone whose feels failed after having been educated by the state system, but I know that the system isn't without flaws. Did he manage to carry on with Maths nonetheless?

Ewan
I went to a private school, and was taught by fantastic mathematicians (indeed both my teachers graduated in mathematics from Cambridge), and was pushed much more than he was. Consequentially I did better, and went to a better university. I don't think I'm any more clever than he is, I just had better opportunities.

It really sounds as if your brother had quite a poor experience of the state sector, in comparison to the education that you received. I just dispute your claim that really good opportunities are necessarily only available to those in the private sector. I just don't feel that it's true. Yes, perhaps I haven't been to as many amazing places with school, but my school - as well as others my friends attend - has been completely committed to ensuring that everyone achieves their potential, whatever that is. I have never really felt as if I am not being pushed enough, and if I ever feel as if I fully comprehend what is being taught and could learn more, I am inspired to do my own reading, which gives me confidence in my own ability.

Ewan
You do realize that sports & other extra curricular activities are far more varied in private schools? Not to mention there are often much more subjects on offer to study. How on earth do you gain a more rounded education in the state sector - please elaborate.

Yes, I do! This will unfortunately be fairly difficult to overcome, as these extra-curricular activities are expensive and thus funded by fees, meaning that the cost of running these activities is virtually impossible for the state sector's budget to stretch to. I never claimed that you could gain a more rounded education in the state sector - or never meant to! I just mean that I think you become a more well-rounded person, since you meet those from all walks of life and are not restricted to meeting those who are predominantly middle-class. (That said, I realise that bursaries etc. are available...)

Sorry for the long post, but this topic is just pretty interesting tbh. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending