The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hello,

I am thinking of studying medicine at Cambridge as a mature student and wondered if anyone had a sample timetable or could give me an idea of how medicine/uni life is???
Reply 21
TurkeyMCB
I know this question must have been asked like a million times on this thread but what GCSE grades do most successful Cambridge applicants get? I'm hoping for 7A*'s and 4A's. Is that below average for an Cambridge student? On an other thread, they said that it was slightly below average for Oxford. What about Cambridge?

I got interviewed and pooled with 1.5A*s, 5As, 6Bs and 1C and the feedback letter did not mention my GCSEs, pretty sure it was the BMAT that let me down.
Reply 22
TurkeyMCB
I know this question must have been asked like a million times on this thread but what GCSE grades do most successful Cambridge applicants get? I'm hoping for 7A*'s and 4A's. Is that below average for an Cambridge student? On an other thread, they said that it was slightly below average for Oxford. What about Cambridge?

Slightly below? I got in with 5A* and 7As, and Gonville and Caius is a decent place as well. It varies; Cambridge aren't as strict as Oxford when it comes to GCSEs as long as your AS' are really good and you have a decent BMAT.

Now, in general, is it just me who sent the CRB 5 days before the deadline? :s-smilie:

Plus...exam fears starting to set in... Yipes...Damn that A*...
Reply 23
hassan_s

Now, in general, is it just me who sent the CRB 5 days before the deadline? :s-smilie:

Plus...exam fears starting to set in... Yipes...Damn that A*...

haha, I sent mine off ages ago because I was so afraid of the deadline.. lol

And yes, I've been revising like crazy for the stupid A*..
I'm definitely at risk of getting an A in chemistry with a 90% + UMS overall.. :frown:
Aiming for an A* in biology and maths though, and have secured 40% of it for English lit :smile:
Reply 24
Coolio. Im going for it (well...trying to...) in biology and chemistry. Maths seems pretty impossible in c4...but practise makes perfect... At A2 I have got 90.25% in biol and 91% in chem, yet 88% in maths (stupid cswk let me down), so hopefully, it will all pan out.

Oh...did you get a letter saying that they will consider your application if you get As and not an a*? A friend of mine whose going to newnham got it .... which kinda makes me feel scared. Anyway...better get back to revision...
Reply 25
hassan_s
Coolio. Im going for it (well...trying to...) in biology and chemistry. Maths seems pretty impossible in c4...but practise makes perfect... At A2 I have got 90.25% in biol and 91% in chem, yet 88% in maths (stupid cswk let me down), so hopefully, it will all pan out.

Oh...did you get a letter saying that they will consider your application if you get As and not an a*? A friend of mine whose going to newnham got it .... which kinda makes me feel scared. Anyway...better get back to revision...

Yeah, in January I almost gave up with maths, but I have seen a massive improvement and got 100% on my c4 mock :biggrin:
And yeah, I'm at 95% for bio so yeah, thats comforting lol..
I did get a letter about who to email my UMS to should I miss my offer and get As instead.. And they said they'll still consider it, bit reassuring I guess..
Still waiting on all the accommodation stuff.. Shame about the price of en-suite lol..
I need to start revising more..
Reply 26
Aw man, I'm finding it ridiculously hard to concentrate on revision this time round!!! I keep on opening a textbook and then being like 'hmm, I wonder what the weather forecast is for tomorrow... wouldn't want to get caught outside without an umbrella if it rains... oh and I might as well check facebook whilst I'm at it....'

FOCUS DAMMIT

...oooh, someone started a thread about muckup day plans!! Might just go check that one out...
Reply 27
acdunn
Aw man, I'm finding it ridiculously hard to concentrate on revision this time round!!! I keep on opening a textbook and then being like 'hmm, I wonder what the weather forecast is for tomorrow... wouldn't want to get caught outside without an umbrella if it rains... oh and I might as well check facebook whilst I'm at it....'

FOCUS DAMMIT

...oooh, someone started a thread about muckup day plans!! Might just go check that one out...

Know what you mean - my first exam is a month away and I just can't get down to it. How many exams do you have? I only have 3 and as I got my A* in January I feel a bit demotivated - though I still need As in Bio and Chem.
Good luck :smile: Hope we'll both be at Downing in October
Reply 28
Panorama
Know what you mean - my first exam is a month away and I just can't get down to it. How many exams do you have? I only have 3 and as I got my A* in January I feel a bit demotivated - though I still need As in Bio and Chem.
Good luck :smile: Hope we'll both be at Downing in October

Same!!! Three exams, Eng Bio Chem, already got my A* in maths, so just need 2 As. Hmmm I think we need to motivate ourselves somehow... I just looked at a chem paper and panicked because I couldn't do any of it, so that's a pretty good incentive to pick up a textbook! Yeah, would be so awesome if we both ended up there :biggrin:
TurkeyMCB

Well I got 5A*s and 4As for IGCSE. Dunno if that's the same as GCSE, but it's wayyyyyyy less A*s than like all the other medics I've seen haha

And good luck to you all who have exams so soon! hehe I'm so glad that IB's finally all finished.

When do your grades come out by the way? Hoping to see you all this October x
Reply 30
ultramarine
Well I got 5A*s and 4As for IGCSE. Dunno if that's the same as GCSE, but it's wayyyyyyy less A*s than like all the other medics I've seen haha

And good luck to you all who have exams so soon! hehe I'm so glad that IB's finally all finished.

When do your grades come out by the way? Hoping to see you all this October x

Not until August 19th :frown:
When do you get your results for IB?
Panorama
Not until August 19th :frown:
When do you get your results for IB?

whattttt that late?! We get ours on July 7th :biggrin:
meh, long wait
Reply 32
I'm an international applicant, I did O Levels and got 9As,(A*s not awarded)
I have got 2 problems.
1- Can I apply to unis with 8A* requirements?
2- In the board which I did they offer only science, not bio,chem or phy, so will it be ok, or should I do Bio,chem,phy from another board this oct/nov session and give them.

If I'm doing 3 extra O Levels(gcses) this october and predicited As, will the unis take my overall GCSES results to be 12As or just 9As?
I'll be applying this september.

I have got AS grades in edexcel(ums >90%)
I'll have completed AS maths and would be doing C3 and M2, this June, so I will have to A2 modules but the subject will not be full, since I won't be doing C4 this June.Is it worth putting these grades in ucas.
Reply 33
Pegasus92
I'm an international applicant, I did O Levels and got 9As,(A*s not awarded)
I have got 2 problems.
1- Can I apply to unis with 8A* requirements?
2- In the board which I did they offer only science, not bio,chem or phy, so will it be ok, or should I do Bio,chem,phy from another board this oct/nov session and give them.

If I'm doing 3 extra O Levels(gcses) this october and predicited As, will the unis take my overall GCSES results to be 12As or just 9As?
I'll be applying this september.

I have got AS grades in edexcel(ums >90%)
I'll have completed AS maths and would be doing C3 and M2, this June, so I will have to A2 modules but the subject will not be full, since I won't be doing C4 this June.Is it worth putting these grades in ucas.

I would declare all modules taken (you have to for Cambridge anyway) - your UMS marks sound fine for Cambridge. There are only limited places for international students so you will have a lot of competition. Don't forget to ace your BMAT (probably more important than extra O levels). Good luck
Reply 34
Panorama
I would declare all modules taken (you have to for Cambridge anyway) - your UMS marks sound fine for Cambridge. There are only limited places for international students so you will have a lot of competition. Don't forget to ace your BMAT (probably more important than extra O levels). Good luck

Thanks for the reply, I thought doing the 3 O levels will actually help me in the BMAt too, since Bmat is based in GCSE work, I can revise for both and both exams are at nearly the same time, so won't be affecting my A Levels much.
I'm asking whether if I'm doing those 3 O levels and my refree predicts me 3As, will the unis count my O level grades(GCSE)as 12As or still 9As, since I would not have done them at the time of application.
Thanks once again.
Reply 35
Pegasus92
Thanks for the reply, I thought doing the 3 O levels will actually help me in the BMAt too, since Bmat is based in GCSE work, I can revise for both and both exams are at nearly the same time, so won't be affecting my A Levels much.
I'm asking whether if I'm doing those 3 O levels and my refree predicts me 3As, will the unis count my O level grades(GCSE)as 12As or still 9As, since I would not have done them at the time of application.
Thanks once again.

I don't think the unis will take any notice of the extra O levels as you will have already met their minimum GCSE requirement. They will only be interested in your A2 predictions. Saying that the O levels will probably help with the BMAT and if they don't interfere with A2 work go for it.
Reply 36
Panorama
I don't think the unis will take any notice of the extra O levels as you will have already met their minimum GCSE requirement. They will only be interested in your A2 predictions. Saying that the O levels will probably help with the BMAT and if they don't interfere with A2 work go for it.

I have got another problem now, My A Level exams finished last week and I think I have not done very well in physics(I'm doing physics in one year) so might not get and A*.My other subjects maths,chem,bio which I did till AS, I'm confident of 90+, so not getting an A* in the subject which I have completed affect my chances.
Reply 37
Pegasus92
I have got another problem now, My A Level exams finished last week and I think I have not done very well in physics(I'm doing physics in one year) so might not get and A*.My other subjects maths,chem,bio which I did till AS, I'm confident of 90+, so not getting an A* in the subject which I have completed affect my chances.

I don't think that will be a problem as even Cambridge only ask for 3 A levels though if you do 4 they may give you a 4 A level offer. If you get an A in Physics then you'll be fine expecially with 90 plus in your AS modules. Physics is not a necessary subject for medicine so ace Bio and Chem and you'll be OK. They only require one A*.
Anyway people normally do better than they think :smile:
All the best
Reply 38
Panorama
I don't think that will be a problem as even Cambridge only ask for 3 A levels though if you do 4 they may give you a 4 A level offer. If you get an A in Physics then you'll be fine expecially with 90 plus in your AS modules. Physics is not a necessary subject for medicine so ace Bio and Chem and you'll be OK. They only require one A*.
Anyway people normally do better than they think :smile:
All the best

thanks
Reply 39
Just wondering, do I need a stethoscope for the first year at Cambridge medical school?

Latest

Trending

Trending