The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kobie
please, please do. i could use a holiday :rolleyes: although i do have 7 weeks in costa rica over the summer, providing i can cajole my GP into signing permission forms :rant:
i come back on results day! best way to take one's mind off it. however, i think i'm going to get TSR withdrawal syndrome which may prove grim. very grim :redface:

i literally don't have the time to get a job at the moment! i worked the past 3 summer holidays almost full time in sh*tty cafes when i needed the cash, not too keen to go back to that :tongue:
the stripper comment was a particularly low last resort to try and win a political debate :yep:
me (winning debate by a mile): "...so, i think we have proven that david cameron is an incompetent fool."
Young Conservative friend: "no, that is not true. you are wrong about everything. you are a girl. you are not going to get into our wonderfully elitist universities! i damn you to a life in the slums of backstreet capital city. as we cut funding for student scum, you will have to abandon all your principles and undress for money! actually........"

yeah, we have neighbourhood watch, (sometimes) gypsies and a particularly militaristic franchise of weightwatchers nearby :tongue:
nah, probably makes me vicky p. i think i own a tracksuit, somewhere :curious: and i MUST have a scrunchie, i'm so 90's :biggrin:

i'll agree that 24 improves infinitely when watched on a decent widescreen with the volume turned up headachey. but it's still not ruth+harry's doomed romance :love:

what's the job :cookie: ? i've got major respect for anyone who can work their gap year, summers were bad enough for me. takes incredible patience to get up and do the exact same, non-intellectually-stimulating thing 5 days a week- but at least you'll be able to afford uni a little more easily :hugs:
but yeah, how come you didn't go last year? seeing as you're clearly oxbridge-quality? :holmes:

my dad and my auntie went to imperial, it's a bit of a way out from ucl/soas/lse which are all squidged together near euston. imperial's kensington (near harrods!) i think, bit fancy round there :camp:

amaretto steak sounds strangely delicious! :drool: don't really wanna think about that or i'll honestly NEVER get any revision done. with pineapple juice and green&blacks chocolate ice cream for afters. and a decent cheese board..... *drools again*. might have to give that little culinary ensemble a trial run before the dinner party :awesome:

that's it, we're having a movie night :ahee: finally, someone who wants to be enlightened re: the big bang! instead of jersey shore :sadnod:
jersey shore is hilarious, but i pity the guys i know who have started to GTL. and it is disrespectful to call people grenades! i'm not a 'ho' if i'm not 'DTF'! . the shore is for viewers to MOCK, not to COPY.
alright, rant done :tongue:

Ko's situation may be comparable to this guy's :

Spoiler

like, the white fur is longer and a bit thicker than the rest of it. so yes, she DOES have a beard.
and please, that was a strange mental image. thin line of differently-coloured skin? err.

yeah, she's beautiful alright.
and i do hope you're not feeling threatened! i am not easily won over by meaningless internet flattery. but of course you're still my favourite! :^_^:

your hair is no different, i hope you didn't pay for the haircut! unless that was an old photo :rolleyes: and i've no idea who any of those people are. easy to tell that's an american website, much? i stand by my comparison to stefan :love:
jared's a bit of a score though :yep: epic of a bit-part as angel face in fight club.

i was discussing atonement stories wit ma' crew the other day :ahee:
best one- never use it as a first-date movie. girl walked out on my friend after observing his, er, excitement in reaction to miss knightley's rather convincing sex scene. fail :ahee: :ahee: :ahee:
tbh your probably isn't as good as that. i lol'd for an hour :yep:

I could use a holiday...'oh wait, I've got SEVEN weeks of summer holiday'. :rolleyes: Wow Costa Rica sounds awesome. If you're going for so long you must have plans? Or just beaches for 7 weeks? :rolleyes: I guess coming back on the day means you don't worry so much. Perhaps. Or perhaps spoils the end of your holiday a bit. :curious: TSR withdrawal symptoms? Seriously? You'll be in Costa Rica! Although, if you don't wont to leave TSR I could always go in your place, y'know, just as a massive favour and whatever...:ahee:

:mad2: Argh working in cafes! Well done for managing 3 successive summers. That is some feat.

Ahh. Lib or Lab then?> Have you heard this - http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00wr6r6/15_Minute_Musical_Series_6_The_Lying_King/? You'll like it if a cross between the Lion King, a musical and a satirical look at the election appeals :tongue:. Also the Dr Bruce is probably worth a listen if you enjoy it. Where's this friend of your's going out of interest? :cookie: Jesus, I really hate Little Britain + Matt Lucas and David Walliams generally...Although, pics of you in your Vicky P getup would be :giggle:. Just think, by the next time spooks is on, we'll be at university. Can't imagine that really tbh...

It's (was - finished today! :party:) on food at M&S. It was so dull. The most mind-numbing thing I have ever done. Everr. Hah, not quite. I will be able to afford my ski instructor course. I doubt I'll have much left after that. Especially after importing a suitcase full of schnapps :rolleyes::tongue:.

I am am I? :tongue: Well obviously Oxford didn't think so..:redface:. I only applied to Ox as I was going to take my gap year anyway and just apply this year, but then I thought what the hell and had a go. Although I was probably really rather naive last time around. :holmes:

Oh neat, what did they study there? Where did your mum go then? Kensington eh? :hat: Snazzy. - Also what was the camp thing for? :s-smilie: I guess as a private-schooler it would be my kind of area eh :rolleyes:?

Revision? Which modules have you got in January? Although work is boring, I don't miss exams...:tongue: I'm hungry for George already. You're right, I think our alcohol-seared steaks might just work...God it sounds delicious. Cook for me :colonhash:. Now I'm hungry, and it's too late to go to get anything from the kitchen, and I don't have any food left in my room :frown:. I think we should take our amaretto steaks to the Let Us Dine with You.

Big bang isn't really a movie though is it...? Surely a Big-Bang-athon would be more appropriate. Maybe with a slightly less ambiguous title. But yes, enlighten me! As long as it doesn't make me feel like I'm watching a worse version of the IT crowd. Like if you put on American Office over UK Office. You're going to have to explain the rest of that, starting with Jersey Shore. Then GTL and grenades, etc. I have no clue what any of that is/is a reference to. :colondollar:

I just don't want to think about why you have pictures like that to hand...

Spoiler

Yeaaaah. T'was a bit of an odd image, sorry about that.

Hah, while obviously flattered myself, I must point that your title would be best received should you bestow it upon one of your plethora of internet lotharilurkz. I'm sure it is much coveted in the realm known as TSR.

I did and yes it has. It is shorter. It's looks nicer a bit longer really. Myheritage seems to be really dependent upon the angle of your face in the photo :rolleyes:. I also agree, I have no idea who most/any of those people are. I'm just satisfied I'm over 50% male. :yep:. Face structure (?) wise yeah I see what you mean. His eyes are brown though, and hair more fro'ish. Jared was my highest % actually, at 80. :tongue:

Hehe, how ironic. No I don't think mine beats that though. Such a fail :ahee:. Did he watch the rest of the film on his own? Oh you were hanging with your 'homies' aye? :rolleyes:

Now I'm off to catch up on Peep Show :yep:
Original post by Doughnuts!!

Nah, I prefer Mechanics. It's more fun. :biggrin:

:mob: Burn mechanics.

Stats is the best applied. True story! :yep:

Original post by 03jenniferp
Unrelated but....HAVE SOME CAMBRIDGE HISTORY LOVE! :biggrin:

Never unrelated! History is always relevant :awesome:

And thank you, :biggrin: :cube: Cambridge History!

Original post by Kobie
THIS. :sexface:

although... fellows? i'm sorry, not sure if I want to go after anybody's supermodel ex :ahee:
bit of a strained link there felix! :yep:

yeah everyone does prefer pure. I never minded mechanics either but eh, the M1 exam was an unprecedented disaster so that's cursed it a bit now.

You wont care about my links when you see my fellow straining :sexface:...:erm:

Also, what? The only fellows (Fellowes) I know of is Julian. Who I doubt is who you were referring to...
(edited 13 years ago)
So I'm the only one here not crackin' or dreaming about the decision?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3683
Original post by comrade_jon
So I'm the only one here not crackin' or dreaming about the decision?

I haven't dreamt about it yet. Frankly, dreaming about travelling through the middle east or solving some problem is far more appealing. People on here seem to have an insatiate desire for all things Cambridge. Wonderful as it is, there are better things to life (like life).
Original post by Felix101
:mob: Burn mechanics.

Stats is the best applied. True story! :yep

I probably won't be awake when you reply to this, but I might as well reply to your post since I'm awake!

I well and truly cannot see how anybody can enjoy Stats. There is nothing interesting in it AT ALL! It's pretty much just plugging numbers into a calculator. :hand:
Original post by Lyam
I haven't dreamt about it yet. Frankly, dreaming about travelling through the middle east or solving some problem is far more appealing. People on here seem to have an insatiate desire for all things Cambridge. Wonderful as it is, there are better things to life (like life).

I love the fact that you always stay up till ridiculous times. :ahee:

G'night!
I think today is one of the days when the decision won't get to me. :biggrin:
Original post by shannon14
Yeah... Plus with the €1 to get into them it's almost not worth it! I had my 5 toblerones to keep me company! Plus my mother, sister and Rubix cube!

I wish that I could talk to the interviews outside of the interview and try to use them on them!

Well... You always could take it... But by the time you get to Cambridge it will be gone off and you'll have nowhere to put it!!! And if your house is ANYTHING like my house... That is the first thing that people will miss (we did eat 5 toblerones in 2 days!)

Ahhh of course! All 5! :tongue: Ahhh I've never been a master of Rubix cubes, I get happy when I get one side! :tongue:

They'd absolutely love it if you did that! They'd ask you to teach them all your tricks :wink:

Hmm, although the journey is only 45mins-1 hour, if we didn't turn the car heating on it COULD stay fresh! :tongue: Although yes, my parents would most probably notice!
Reply 3688
Original post by TimmonaPortella
IMO mechanics is far and away the easiest*. Granted I've only taken m1, but it is all essentially SohCahToa and plugging numbers into learned equations.

*of the applied modules. I like pure best, but I think I'm in a minority.

I agree with the pure. I've just started mechanics and it's so mind numbingly boring. :frown: I hate it. But I'm in a class with AS students and I've never realised HOW SLOW the lecturers take everything for them, I end up just sitting there thinking IS THIS EVER GOING TO END. Ugh. It took us from September to December to do S1 ( we're WJEC btw) and it took my friends A2 Stats class from november till now. It's ridiculous. I do love pure though :biggrin:
Reply 3689
I had a dream that i was in the middle of c4 and there was a vector question and I got transported into a 3d graph vector world :s-smilie: how weird
Original post by kayla:)
I agree with the pure. I've just started mechanics and it's so mind numbingly boring. :frown: I hate it. But I'm in a class with AS students and I've never realised HOW SLOW the lecturers take everything for them, I end up just sitting there thinking IS THIS EVER GOING TO END. Ugh. It took us from September to December to do S1 ( we're WJEC btw) and it took my friends A2 Stats class from november till now. It's ridiculous. I do love pure though :biggrin:

I find this in a2 classes. They don't just go slow, either. They leave chunks of explanation out because they think people will get confused. Though, there are people in my A2 maths class - and my other A2 classes - who got Ds and Es first year.
Can't stand how teachers mess about trying desperately to pass them at a C at the obvious expense of the success of the A students. I didn't go into college for the month before exams last year; i'd rather teach myself.

anyway, /rant.
Original post by Doughnuts!!
I probably won't be awake when you reply to this, but I might as well reply to your post since I'm awake!

I well and truly cannot see how anybody can enjoy Stats. There is nothing interesting in it AT ALL! It's pretty much just plugging numbers into a calculator. :hand:

Eh well it was helpful for economics so.. Mechanics on the other hand I don't care for one bit.
Original post by Lyam

Quite. It would be great if we could choose our dreams, wouldn't it?
I had an offer dream last night :colondollar: My subconscious seems slightly more optimistic than my conscious.

Anyway, the middle east is crap. Haven't you watched top gear? Personal experience: I came back from Egypt a week ago ish - which must be representative of the middle east, given it's a sandy islamic republic - and it's just a desert with the occasional collection of shacks dotted about. Unfinished shacks, too, since they can't get credit over there, and have to start building something so the government doesn't take their land off them. There's nothing interesting there at all. The meat doesn't taste like meat, the women don't look like women - rather, like ninjas - and camels aren't as fun as you imagine. Don't romanticise it.
Travel through somewhere good, like the far east, or America.
Original post by cpdavis
Yeah had a go at it, got 70/75 in it. I think that I can guarentee 100% in C3, but C4, will probably get 95% if some weird vector question comes along. But after january, only 2 A Levels :biggrin:

Woah ur smart, the last question on that threw me, so I'll be trying that again sometime, and I dropped 2 marks on that vector question too. I'll be aiming for 90% in C3 and C4, trying to get 100% but that is unlikely, I'm just trying to d the best I can.
Reply 3694

I kind of can. And until recently I thought everyone could XD If I think about something before I go to sleep I then dream about it and I can change my dreams once I'm asleep. I reckon that's why I never had nightmares as I child.

Original post by Caught_A_Glimpse
Your dad sounds cool! :cool: I would be pleased! :tongue:

He likes to think he is :biggrin: Actually his taste in music is pretty good. There's rather a lot of his old CDs on my iPod.
IMO mechanics is far and away the easiest*. Granted I've only taken m1, but it is all essentially SohCahToa and plugging numbers into learned equations.

*of the applied modules. I like pure best, but I think I'm in a minority.

I think most people that actually like maths agree with you. The people who just take maths because they need to like statistics more in my experience.
I find this in a2 classes. They don't just go slow, either. They leave chunks of explanation out because they think people will get confused. Though, there are people in my A2 maths class - and my other A2 classes - who got Ds and Es first year..

Oh I get this too in my single maths class! We never do any proof in class any more because nobody understands it, so basically lots of the maths students are just memorising formulae and applying it to questions without a proper understanding of why it works, which is alright for A level questions seeing as they're all pretty much the same in the end, but it's very helpful for people who want to do maths further! (There are still people who don't know what natural numbers are).

I'm lucky though because I'm the only student doing further maths so my maths teacher just brings proofs to my further maths lessons and we talk about interesting things then xD

To be fair, I think there are classes like this in every subject, somebody asked what germination was in our biology class the other day.
Reply 3697
Stats was my favourite module - I'm in a minority :frown:
Reply 3698
Original post by Felix101

You wont care about my links when you see my fellow straining :sexface:...:erm:

Also, what? The only fellows (Fellowes) I know of is Julian. Who I doubt is who you were referring to...

fellows (according to wikipedia):

Research fellow
The title of research fellow is used to denote an academic research position at a university or a similar institution.
Teaching fellow
The title of Teaching fellow is used to denote an academic teaching position at a university or similar institution.
Emeritus title in the UK
The title fellow might be given to an academic member of staff upon retirement who continues to be affiliate to a university institution in the United Kingdom.

.... implies that 'fellows' of your aforementioned 'prestigious institution' are either being paid for their work (:eek:) or have retired from service!

why, what else did you think that was going to mean? :rolleyes:
I had an offer dream last night :colondollar: My subconscious seems slightly more optimistic than my conscious.

Anyway, the middle east is crap. Haven't you watched top gear? Personal experience: I came back from Egypt a week ago ish - which must be representative of the middle east, given it's a sandy islamic republic - and it's just a desert with the occasional collection of shacks dotted about. Unfinished shacks, too, since they can't get credit over there, and have to start building something so the government doesn't take their land off them. There's nothing interesting there at all. The meat doesn't taste like meat, the women don't look like women - rather, like ninjas - and camels aren't as fun as you imagine. Don't romanticise it.
Travel through somewhere good, like the far east, or America.

I like Egypt. nice and hot, just find the right hotel and don't leave the complex and you will be fine :smile:
When I went we were at a 5 star hotel (OK, to our standards it would be 4) but it was great, all inclusive and they had a bar in the swimming pool! So you could swim and get a drink while swimming!

Latest

Trending

Trending