The Student Room Group

Do Vegetarians eat meat/BBQ flavoured crisps?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jellybean91
got gelatine in hun sorry :frown: theyre not veggie if youre in it for the ethical side!

But they're sooo good! :drool: :sogood:
Original post by lonelykatana
Nope, not a lactose intolerance unfortunately.
I am highly allergic to milk and whey proteins :frown:
Lactose is pretty much the only part of milk I can have :tongue:

So basically if I have milk, I go into anaphylaxis, throat swells and I potentially suffocate.
I'd take lactose intolerance over this anyday :tongue:

Wow, it sucks to be you!

So you can't have any dairy; just supplements? :lolwut:
Nope, not a lactose intolerance unfortunately.
I am highly allergic to milk and whey proteins :frown:
Lactose is pretty much the only part of milk I can have :tongue:

So basically if I have milk, I go into anaphylaxis, throat swells and I potentially suffocate.
I'd take lactose intolerance over this anyday :tongue:

Wow and i thought my lactose intollerance was bad :frown: that sounds like hell!

Original post by thegodofgod
But they're sooo good! :drool: :sogood:

haha they are amazing :dance: could never not eat them! id sooner eat a raw steak than give up haribo :smile:
Reply 23
I eat them anyway, but i think to be honest, i've lost sight of why i'm a veggie now so ill happily eat meat crisps or haribo, its just a very difficult thing to change back from!

If youre a veggie cos you dont like the taste then fair enough dont eat the crisps but i dont see why not if its an ethical choice and theyre meat free :smile:

I agree about it being difficult to change back from, and I only became a vegetarian because I wasn't that keen on meat.

I actually like the taste of some meat crisps even though I don't like meat, particularly McCoys Flame Grilled Steak. My friend who is a vegetarian for ethical reasons doesn't eat them or gelatine, but does eat fish sometimes. It depends on the person I guess.
Original post by shinobi93
I agree about it being difficult to change back from, and I only became a vegetarian because I wasn't that keen on meat.

I actually like the taste of some meat crisps even though I don't like meat, particularly McCoys Flame Grilled Steak. My friend who is a vegetarian for ethical reasons doesn't eat them or gelatine, but does eat fish sometimes. It depends on the person I guess.

I changed to veggie after being bullied by my 'friends' 6 years ago and ive never really had the courage to eat meat again... i dont know what im afraid of but something is really stopping me from going anywhere near it :s-smilie:
As long as it is veggie suitable then yes. It's not about the taste. Meat tastes good. Fact. If I can have that taste without an animal being killed, then good times all round!
Reply 26
I've been a veggie for about 4 years and I eat meat flavoured crisps as long as they're vegetarian :smile:
Smoky bacon and McCoys flame grilled steak..mmm
Wow, it sucks to be you!

So you can't have any dairy; just supplements? :lolwut:

Pretty much :smile: I used to drink SMA wysoy (soya baby formula :tongue:) but its not really much of an issue not having milk now Im older :smile:

Wow and i thought my lactose intollerance was bad :frown: that sounds like hell!

It is pretty annoying... Constantly having to check things for milk, asking in cafes if they use milk ect. But by far, the most annoying thing about it is when people ask 'so you cant have ice cream, chocolate, or cheese?!' and say how sorry they feel for me...
You cant miss something you've never had can you! :tongue:
Im guessing you know what its like though, lactose intollerance must be pretty much the same thing :smile:

Ah well you get used to it :smile:
What's wrong with Haribo? :lolwut:

They're just sweets...

(I'm a vegetarian and eat them...)

They have gelatin in them.

Therefore, you're a stupid vegetarian.
Reply 29
I can assure you, 100% that they have milk in.
As do the salt and vinegar ones.

No, I'm not a vegan, Im bloody well allergic to milk :angry:

Yeah thought they probably did, didn't want to say outright.

Surprised about the salt and vinegar ones having milk in though, guess you found that out the hard way, eh? :frown:
I do. I love prawn cocktail and barbeque flavoured crisps. No idea why your friends wouldn't eat them for the 'principle' - it's only like eating meat alternatives like Quorn. Do they have a problem with that too?
Reply 31
My boyfriend has been Vegetarian from birth, mostly for health reasons I believe.

He won't eat meat flavoured crisps. I'm not sure why, not for any 'principle' or ethical reason, he just said he'd find it too weird.
Reply 32
It's a good question, people always look at me funny when i crack open the old smokey bacon :wink: But I'm a vegetarian, not a human point-maker. They don't contain meat, ergo I can eat them. And I think they taste gooood :smile:
got gelatine in hun sorry :frown: theyre not veggie if youre in it for the ethical side!

Then vegetarians cannot buy leather either?
Original post by amizzle91
Yeah thought they probably did, didn't want to say outright.

Surprised about the salt and vinegar ones having milk in though, guess you found that out the hard way, eh? :frown:

yep.
They didn't have milk in for years and years and then all of a sudden they decided to add milk... Bastards :biggrin:
Original post by Sammydemon
Then vegetarians cannot buy leather either?

Well yeh of course!! If you're against the slaughter of animals, you're not exactly gonna go wear a suede jacket or buy a new leather sofa!
Cos they taste rank. :frown: Why would I opt for meat crisps when there are much nicer flavours out there?
What's wrong with Haribo? :lolwut:

They're just sweets...

(I'm a vegetarian and eat them...)

They have geletine (sp?) (crushed animal bones) in them :fyi:

I'm vegetarian and eat them though but i'm not 100% vegetarian for ethical reasons, more lifestyle, dietary and environmental reasons.

I don't eat meat/bbq flavoured crisps, but that's because they are nasty tasting!
Reply 38
Original post by wha
Hi all,

I was eating lunch with a few friends, one of whom is a vegetarian and another who is a vegan, and we somehow we started talking about why they dont eat meat flavoured crisps. I mean its not like they have any meat in them and and half the time they dont even taste like any meat. They told me that it was simply a matter of princaple, however they dont actually contain any meat, so it did seem quite odd. Then my vegan friend told me that tey dont even eat cheese and onion, that just seemed farfetched, but hey, at least i get to enjoy the delights of cheese and onion, and flame grilled steak... mmmmmmm....:biggrin:

Do any vegetarians here eat meat flavoured crisps or is it a general consencus between you that you dont?

i don't really like the taste of meaty crisps but otherwise i have eaten them seen as they are suitable for vegetarians. i'm guessing your vegan friend probably just doesn't eat cheese and onion crisps seen as it contains cheese? (which vegans don't eat.)
Original post by Ribbits
My boyfriend has been Vegetarian from birth, mostly for health reasons I believe.

He won't eat meat flavoured crisps. I'm not sure why, not for any 'principle' or ethical reason, he just said he'd find it too weird.

I've been a vegetarian from birth for similar reasons and i'm a bit the same - its a bit freaky but I do know they're 100% meat free and if I liked the taste then I wouldn't judge anyone for eating them :p:

Quick Reply

Latest