The Student Room Group

What do I do?

I'm a vegetarian and for some dumb reason I didn't realise that parmesan cheese had animal products in it, it has animal renet which are enzymes from calfs and I have been eating this cheese my whole life (I've been a vegetarian for 8 years so since I was 10). So what do I do? I have tried to make myself vomit and I just feel so guilty and horrible.
Reply 1
Original post by DispiritedDream
I'm a vegetarian and for some dumb reason I didn't realise that parmesan cheese had animal products in it, it has animal renet which are enzymes from calfs and I have been eating this cheese my whole life (I've been a vegetarian for 8 years so since I was 10). So what do I do? I have tried to make myself vomit and I just feel so guilty and horrible.

You can't do anything that has already been gone inside your stomach. But you can do with what's coming up.

How are calf enzymes any worse than cows' milk?

T. meat guzzler
Unfortunately, the past is in the past. There’s nothing you really can do other than give the food up now. Look on the bright side, imagine how many more years you would’ve kept eating it if you didn’t find out now! Take this away as a lesson, but also don’t be too hard on yourself, you’re already more disciplined and greater than majority of the population. It’s not like you’re addicted to it (i hope lol). But, guilt is always a horrible feeling, and trust me, i have my fair share of it, but to keep thinking about it is to keep letting your guilt grow stronger. Realise and correct! You are only human, and a great one at that, don’t beat yourself up too much!

Reply 4

Look, one vegetarian to another; don't beat yourself up over it, you didn't know. You didn't eat it purposefully knowing it wasn't vegetarian. I did the same thing once with red food colouring I used in a red velvet cake (cochineal) . I got over my guilt by donating to an insect charity ;u; You could do something similar if you really wanted ;u;

Quick Reply

Latest