The Student Room Group

AQA HIS3J The State and The People: Britain: 1918-1964

A thread for Britain 1918-1964.

I'm doing this as a resit in my gap year; my only exam, and I'm crapping myself :tongue: Getting into my preferred Uni depends solely on this 1h30m exam.

I basically screwed it up first time so I'm pretty desperate not to do the same again.

Has anyone doing it this year, or who did it last year got any tips or info to share? Any helpful ways to revise this particular topic? Anything really...

Thankfully this years exam doesn't clash with the World Cup!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Just me doing Britain then :tongue:
Hi, I'm doing this topic too.
Don't know whether you are able to get a log in for History Today but if you search for the topics on that you can find some great articles.

It's also worth going on the AQA website and getting hold of the scheme of work (Under Teacher Resource Bank, Unit 3, The State and the People:Britain 1918-1964) for a really comprehensive list of what you need to know.

We can keep this going though, I'll post on anything useful that I find :smile:
Reply 3
Cheers.

I printed out the Teacher Resource Bank months ago and chucked it thinking it was from AS. :rolleyes:

http://store.aqa.org.uk/qual/gce/pdf/AQA-2040-W-TRB-U03SW-HIS3J.PDF

It'll be very useful for revision.
Yes, i think so.

A great book: British Political History 1867-1995 Democracy and Decline, Malcolm Pearce and Geoffrey Stewart - good for viewpoints you just have to sift through a little to find the relevant stuff. ^_^
Reply 5
Actually I am quite surprised there still isn't a specific text book for it.

I wonder if this year's will be more difficult now it's a more established topic, compared to last year when it was the first year it was taught.

I'm hoping not :tongue:
Reply 6
I thought i was one of the very few doing this ha.
Quite a tough but interesting course in my opinion. Tough because of the breadth and depth questions, you need to know detail as well as over a vast expanse of time.
Any shouts on what will come up ?
Reply 7
Original post by Mfreeman.
I thought i was one of the very few doing this ha.
Quite a tough but interesting course in my opinion. Tough because of the breadth and depth questions, you need to know detail as well as over a vast expanse of time.
Any shouts on what will come up ?

I would hope there'd be one on DLG, possibly one on Tory leadership (which may well be synoptic)

I just hope there isn't one of those "how did the BBC help social mobility?" 'questions':tongue:
Reply 8
Original post by James_B123
I would hope there'd be one on DLG, possibly one on Tory leadership (which may well be synoptic)

I just hope there isn't one of those "how did the BBC help social mobility?" 'questions':tongue:

I think in light of June 2010's questions - and as we have little else to go by- DLG might be unlikely as it was asked then, as was the Tory's 1918-1945 political record and their economic handling of 1951-1964. I don't think enough on the syllabus is focused on the Liberals, and therefore my guesses, would be on the Labour party - either of Macdonald's premierships or both- and on the '30's, perhaps about new industries.
Trying to reason is hard however, the examiners could double bluff and ask very similar questions again. I'm not sure if there was a January resit paper, might be handy if one of us could find out.
Thanks for the reply
Reply 9
Original post by Mfreeman.
I think in light of June 2010's questions - and as we have little else to go by- DLG might be unlikely as it was asked then, as was the Tory's 1918-1945 political record and their economic handling of 1951-1964. I don't think enough on the syllabus is focused on the Liberals, and therefore my guesses, would be on the Labour party - either of Macdonald's premierships or both- and on the '30's, perhaps about new industries.
Trying to reason is hard however, the examiners could double bluff and ask very similar questions again. I'm not sure if there was a January resit paper, might be handy if one of us could find out.
Thanks for the reply

There wasn't a January exam (I tried to do it, as I didn't do well on last years'), only June and any specimen papers floating around.

It is only the second year this module has been going so I don't think they'd make it too hard and DLG is the obvious question to ease you in. I don't think they'd spring any horrors in (especially as the questions are done 2/3 years in advance) either but who knows with AQA.
Reply 10
Original post by harrietdaisy
Hi, I'm doing this topic too.
Don't know whether you are able to get a log in for History Today but if you search for the topics on that you can find some great articles.

It's also worth going on the AQA website and getting hold of the scheme of work (Under Teacher Resource Bank, Unit 3, The State and the People:Britain 1918-1964) for a really comprehensive list of what you need to know.

We can keep this going though, I'll post on anything useful that I find :smile:

Out of interest, what sort of structure are you both using to answer the essays and roughly how much are you writing in the 45 mins ?
From the essays I've been writing in class, normally write 3/4 sides of A4. I have relatively large handwriting though. It's not about how much you write though, just write until you've said what you need to say. :smile:

And structure wise, I'll aim to write 6 paragraphs. Introduction and Conclusion, then 2 paragraphs supporting the view in the question and 2 countering the point. These can be in whatever order is logical though, I don't always go point count point counter.
Reply 12
I've always been told not to bother with an introduction. If you have to, keep it to 1-2 lines max.

You tend not to get marked on it because you're not really making any points and you're just wasting time. It bores the marker because it's pointless words and they get the same lines over and over again. It's better to just go straight into the question and give them something to mark, starting off with your best point. If you go straight into something and sound like you know it you're more likely to get the higher marks because you're ticking off the levels and the indicative knowledge comes with that.

As I say though, that's what I've been told by my teachers and in those interesting examiner afternoons when everyone listens and takes notes :biggrin:

As for how much I'll write, it'll depend on how massive my handwriting is. But probably 2/3 sheets.
(edited 12 years ago)
We've been told not to waste your time with a long introduction, but in it to show your opinion straight away. But I like that idea, if you've been told that by examiners then it sounds like that's sensible. Any other tips?
Reply 14
I can't think of any off the top of my head, but I'm going in to see my teacher sometime next week (hopefully) so I'll ask and see if he has any ideas on questions. He was spot on last year so hopefully he can make it 2 in a row.
Reply 15
Great feedback guys.
Interesting points about the introduction, i have found on this course it can be necessary if a word in the question is quite ambiguous, to address a more definite meaning. But from what you guys have said, apart from briefly outlining your argument, it does seem much more effective to put the time into the main essay. I will definitely think about this in the future.
The more i think about it the more confident i am that the 1930's economy will come up and so will Labour- in reference to either of the 3 administrations or all of them together. The other question i'm not sure on, general strike maybe.
Will be interesting to see what your teacher says.
Thanks for the replies
I have to say I agree on the topics - I was really hoping for Lloyd George but seeing as it came up in Summer last year I think it's very unlikely.

I'm really hoping for the 1945 election! Labour would also be quite good, the econmics is a bad subject though! Although if they ask about the social effect of the depression, is it really the "devils decade" that would be a beauty of a question.
Reply 17
I'd hope there will be one, if from a different perspective (maybe to what extent was a Conservative victory (as it were) in 1922 down to them? and you contrast it with the fall of DLG) after all it will only be the 2nd year of the syllabus.

Maybe something on the fall of Labour and the Zinoviev letter?

My knowledge does go sketchy after WWII so I hope they don't focus on that... if they ask me about the EEC (like in the specimen paper) and Profumo I might cry.
Reply 18
I read on one of the AQA resources something on the lines of "There will be two depth questions and one breadth question,covering at least 3 OF THE 4 periods
(1918-1931,1931-1939,1939-1951,1951-1964)".
As last year the 3rd question was directly on 1951-1964, i think that is probably slighty more improbable. And without clutching at straws too much, the 1930's appear in them periods more than any of the other decade. But counter to this,as you said, it is only the 2nd paper on this topic, and there decisions could be completely abritrary.
how do you include historical debate and interpretations in the essay?? Apparently this is gets you a high grade. Also when do you write an essay following a structure of themes??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending