The Student Room Group

AQA Physics A Unit 5 Revision Thread - 27th June

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fanta Banta
Ok could someone shed some light on this for me.
On the stability curve are the alpha emitters below the stable nuclei? Because that what's I was taught because they have too many protons/ are too heavy so realso some in the form of alpha.
But in the nelson thornes text book it says that alpha emitters occur above the stable nuclei. So now I'm confused.
Does anyone know which one is right?

Nuclei emit alpha particles because they are too heavy and not because of the proton/neutron ratio, so alpha emitters are both above and below the line of stability.
Alpha emitters are only ever heavy nuclei though, so alpha emitters only occur after z = 82 (anything with 82 or more protons is potentially an alpha emitter).

Beta + occurs below the line an B- occurs above the line. The line is linear until N=20 and Z=20, at which point it curves upwards. The only other thing you might get asked is to draw an arrow representing a decay, but I think that's all you need to know about that graph.
Reply 541
If there's a question on controlling the rate of fission in a reactor, is it best to reference the moderator or the control rods?

And what exactly is the difference between them in terms of purpose?
Original post by JayTeeKay
Nuclei emit alpha particles because they are too heavy and not because of the proton/neutron ratio, so alpha emitters are both above and below the line of stability.
Alpha emitters are only ever heavy nuclei though, so alpha emitters only occur after z = 82 (anything with 82 or more protons is potentially an alpha emitter).

Beta + occurs below the line an B- occurs above the line. The line is linear until N=20 and Z=20, at which point it curves upwards. The only other thing you might get asked is to draw an arrow representing a decay, but I think that's all you need to know about that graph.

Alpha emitters are above z=60.
Physics revision while just wearing my boxers, damn it's hot.
Reply 544
Original post by chellzey

Original post by chellzey
Draw a diagram to help. If Io is in orbit around Jupiter at a radius of 4.5 x 10^5 km and the distance from the Earth to Jupiter is 6.0 x 10^8 km then you get a triangle. The angluar separation, theta is the angle subtended by the line from the Earth to Io and from the Earth to Jupiter.

So tan theta= 4.5 x 10^5 / 6.0 x 10^8. Using the small angle approximation you don't need to include the tan bit, just divide the numbers. You get 7.5 x 10^-4. This is the angular separtion when viewed with the unaided eye. The telescope magnifies the angle by a factor of 30, so just multiple by 30 and the answer is 0.021 rad.

thank you so much =]
Original post by Zuzuzu
If there's a question on controlling the rate of fission in a reactor, is it best to reference the moderator or the control rods?

I would mention both, and say something like the Moderator slow the neutrons to a thermal state by the neutron colliding with around 50 of the moderator's atoms, and the control rods absorb surplus neutrons in the core.

But I would probably word it better than that :P
Original post by Zuzuzu

Control rods absorb any excess neutrons released during fission so that only one neutron goes on to create further fission. Moderator atoms such as water are used to collide with the neutrons and slow them down. This improves the probability of that neutron going on to create further fission.
Original post by LukethePianoMan
Its at the centre of curvature of the mirror :smile:

The principal focus of the concave mirror is behind the secondary convex mirror, is it not? You do need to show the rays crossing when they go through the hole in the concave mirror, but the point to which they are focussed by the concave mirror is behind the secondary mirror.
Reply 548
Original post by TomSouthwell
Isn't that assuming that all the air in the container goes into the pump?

Could someone give me a full proof method of working out how to work out a new pressure of a container if a pump sucks it out :smile: ?

I just spent about 15 mins looking at the question you mentioned from the specimin and could not for the life of me work out how they got the answer in the mark scheme (83.5 kPa). The working they showed was

p = 99 × 3.50/4.15

but I can't work out where the 4.15 came from, ususally you can work backwards and at least see what calculation they did. Could this be another specimin mistake? This was my working:

p1 x V1 =p2 x V2
99 x 3.5 x10^-4 = p2 x (3.5 + 6.5)x10^-4
p2 = 34.7 kPa

I don't know if you've got this result when doing it as well but these are usually pretty simple and if we're not getting it then there could be something wrong with the paper or mark scheme.
Original post by wag1 to you sir
Alpha emitters are above z=60.

I'm sat with a periodic table in front of me from Chemistry. Tungsten, platinum, gold, mercury, lead and neodymium all have a proton number above 60,and none are alpha emitters.
It is 82. Bismuth (83) is radioactive if I remember correctly, and Polonium (84) certainly is, as it was one of the first radioactive elements discovered.
Alpha emmiters are to the right of Z=82 (lead has a proton no. of 82 and I don't think lead is radioactive).
Reply 550
hey are we allowed to use graphical calculators in the exam? My normal one is playing up and not working properly so just wanted to know if i was allowed to take this one in as a back-up?
Original post by cjkent
I just spent about 15 mins looking at the question you mentioned from the specimin and could not for the life of me work out how they got the answer in the mark scheme (83.5 kPa). The working they showed was

p = 99 × 3.50/4.15

but I can't work out where the 4.15 came from, ususally you can work backwards and at least see what calculation they did. Could this be another specimin mistake? This was my working:

p1 x V1 =p2 x V2
p2 = 34.7 kPa

I don't know if you've got this result when doing it as well but these are usually pretty simple and if we're not getting it then there could be something wrong with the paper or mark scheme.

You're problem is that the 6.5x10^-4 you typed, is actually x10^-5
So it's 3.5x10^-4 + 6.5x10^-5
giving 4.15x10-4 :biggrin:
Original post by Azzie_May
But I would probably word it better than that :P

Have you got any tips on how to word sentences better etc. I tend to state formulae and show how quantities are proportional to each other. Or draw pictures, but getting my thoughts down in sentence sucks!!

I'm hoping for an all calculation paper, possibly state some assumptions on the kinetic theory and thermal questions. I'm okay at saying "heat was lost to surroundings" or "heat from the surroundings contributed to temperature increase in object" and "temperature if proportional to the square of the average particles velocities" and "heat flows from object with higher temp to low temp" :wink:
Original post by JayTeeKay
I'm sat with a periodic table in front of me from Chemistry. Tungsten, platinum, gold, mercury, lead and neodymium all have a proton number above 60,and none are alpha emitters.
It is 82. Bismuth (83) is radioactive if I remember correctly, and Polonium (84) certainly is, as it was one of the first radioactive elements discovered.
Alpha emmiters are to the right of Z=82 (lead has a proton no. of 82 and I don't think lead is radioactive).

Ok, well my text book says above z=60. Also, consider the curve they ask you to draw for the line of stability. They only want it up to z=80, so you wouldn't be able to mark on any alpha emitters.

"The smallest nuclei which have to date been found to be capable of alpha emission are the lightest nuclides of tellurium (element 52), with mass numbers between 106 and 110" - http://alpha-particle.co.tv/
Ok, well my text book says above z=60. Also, consider the curve they ask you to draw for the line of stability. They only want it up to z=80, so you wouldn't be able to mark on any alpha emitters.

"The smallest nuclei which have to date been found to be capable of alpha emission are the lightest nuclides of tellurium (element 52), with mass numbers between 106 and 110" - http://alpha-particle.co.tv/

He speaks the truth.
Can someone just make a cram list for all the chemistry side of it and astrophysics?
Original post by cjkent

p = 99 × 3.50/4.15

p1 x V1 =p2 x V2
p2 = 34.7 kPa

Go to post a few up, apparently you miscopied the numbers :smile: Right method though :smile:

Yeah, that's my method too... As the volume of the system is effectively increasing, so the new pressure must be less :smile: I think the mark scheme is wrong, as that's the right method I think :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Original post by Glen_Nichols
He speaks the truth.

I stand corrected. CGP quote 82 and AQA quote 60. AQA reckon it's above the stability belt and CGP reckon it's above and below.
Considering both were made for the same specification, that's really quite annoying! Even more so when neither organasiation has an amazing track record for accuracy (my physics textbook is full of bits where I've had to put the correct information in with a pen and scribble out the nonsense they write).
I think above the line in the 60-80 region should get the marks then?
Original post by TomSouthwell
Go to post a few up, apparently you miscopied the numbers :smile: Right method though :smile:

Yeah, that's my method too... As the volume of the system is effectively increasing, so the new pressure must be less :smile: I think the mark scheme is wrong, as that's the right method I think :smile:

I think they did mean to put 6.5x10^-4
But they actually put ^-5 and then worked it out as 86kPa or whatever
But that would make the volume of the pump much smaller than the bottle, which shouldn't be right

So their method of getting to 86kPa was correct, but the units they supplied for V2 were not, so in a real exam I think the answer would be much lower.
Though I would still use whatever values they supply in the question, even if it makes no sense :|
For the sake of marks :frown:
Reply 559
Original post by Shadow20074
You're problem is that the 6.5x10^-4 you typed, is actually x10^-5
So it's 3.5x10^-4 + 6.5x10^-5
giving 4.15x10-4 :biggrin:

Why is it 3.5x10^-4 + 6.5x10^-5?

The way I'm thinking the volume of air inside the bottle is decreasing as it is moving into the pump, so wouldn't V2 be 3.5x10^-4 - 6.5x10^-5 instead? Mark scheme says + but I can't see why you add them...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending