The Student Room Group

AS Geography Unit 1 AQA - 17th May 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 320
hey guys, i wrote about obesity as a non-communicable disease, it is a non-communicable disease right? i know coronary heart disease was the big answer to write about but I feel i new more about obesity... will i get marks for it?
Original post by ThEStArE
hey guys, i wrote about obesity as a non-communicable disease, it is a non-communicable disease right? i know coronary heart disease was the big answer to write about but I feel i new more about obesity... will i get marks for it?

Any non-transferable disease was accepted, provided you wrote enough about it, so you should get the marks. Sorry this is a late reply, only just realised there was a comment. Quote for a response. (:

Other answers could also have included lung cancer, heart disease, or even liver disease. Basically, it was anything that you cannot fully pass on, unlike HIV/Aids.
Hope I helped, good luck to all with results! x
How did you guys all do in the end? Somehow got 136/140 UMS despite the higher grade boundaries and thinking I'd screwed up big time. Got 57/60 in Unit 2 as well so I am very happy :biggrin:
What was everyone's UMS for each section for the AS level Geog AQA?
I'm quite disappointed with mine to be honest. I got 114/140 on the geog1 paper which is an A, but then on the geog2 paper I apparently got 35/60 which works out to be a D, which ended up dragging my overall grade down to a B. I'm certain I did better than that on the skills paper however, I found it very easy. I'm going to ask for a re-mark.
140/140 on GEOG1
53/60 on GEOG2 - bit annoyed thats its <90 UMS, but its fine nonetheless.
So very happy
140/140 on unit 1
45/60 on unit 2 which was a B so was a bit peeved :/

but chuffed that im on my way to an a*!
128/140 on Unit 1 and 47/60 on Unit 2. Thought i'd totally failed unit 1 so very pleased.
Reply 328
Does anyone have any idea on the UMS grade boundaries ? The website only shows you in marks which is no help as i was given my score as UMS.
Unit 1: 84 UMS = C
Unit 2 : 50 UMS = A
(edited 12 years ago)
yeah what were the percentage grade boudaries?
i.e. 60% = A
50% = B?
I heard that geog is well low
Unit 1:

84/120 (70%) = 140/140
77/120 (64%) = 126/140 (90% ums)
70/120 (58%) = 112/140 (80% ums, A)
63/120 (53%) = 98/140 (70% ums, B)
Original post by DavidCrow
140/140 on GEOG1
53/60 on GEOG2 - bit annoyed thats its <90 UMS, but its fine nonetheless.
So very happy

I also got 140/140, surely this doesn't mean full marks? I don't really understand what it means but I definitely didn't get full marks! haha
Original post by Twigleheight
I also got 140/140, surely this doesn't mean full marks? I don't really understand what it means but I definitely didn't get full marks! haha

It is full UMS for unit 1 :^_^: what did you get for unit 2?
Original post by Twigleheight

It means you got at least 84/120 which converts to full UMS (Geography always has pretty low boundaries!)
I got 140 for unit 1 and 32/60 for unit 2. Is still got an A, but my overall points score has gone down.

Is it worth retaking unit 2??
Original post by Cityking94
I got 140 for unit 1 and 32/60 for unit 2. Is still got an A, but my overall points score has gone down.

Is it worth retaking unit 2??

I would, if I were you. Unit 2 is a short unit that doesn't take long to work at and learn for, so sit it again in January. It shouldn't be too much of a detriment to your other modules and will make it easier for you to get at least an A for the A level.
I got an E in this paper which was way lower than I expected. On my results sheet it says my 'mark' is 68 and 'equiv' is e. Does anyone know what this 'mark' is, i.e. 68/120, 68 UMS marks, 68%? I genuinely have no idea so hopefully someone can help. I have finished A2 now so if it helps, in unit 3 I got a 'mark' of 74 and 'equiv' of c.

EDIT: I have worked out that this is UMS marks. Could anyone confirm?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 337
I got 108/140 UMS: which was a B, but messed up on skills; 29/60 UMS which was an E. I am retaking skills, do you still think its possible for me to get an A or not?
Reply 338
140/140 and 56/60 :smile:
very happy although i'm not doing geography next year aha
Original post by hanlem
140/140 and 56/60 :smile:
very happy although i'm not doing geography next year aha

Well done! Donate me a mark for GEOG2, I wanted over 90 :tongue:

You did the same subjects as me for AS :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending