The Student Room Group

Anyone tried absinthe before?

Anyone tried absinthe before? What does it feel like and how much do you need to drink to start feeling the effects?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I have, I'd already been drinking through the night. I had two shots and was wasted. That night ended in a vomit stained bush. Never again.
Reply 2
i went to a party last saturday where i tried some with there girls, it tasted a bit like liquorice but was very very strong. I had about a cap full, and my throat was on fire. Was already drunk so use if it will get you drunk quickly.
Reply 3
Drank it in a hot tub in the snow once, made me so drunk and so dehydrated that when I got out I fell over and knocked myself out on the kitchen floor. It burns when you're drinking it and burns when you throw it up. One, maybe two shots is fine, but the stuff is evil.
Drank a gulp when I was already pretty plastered. Just felt like vodka.
Reply 5
meh, its over rated, if you want a drink with crazy effects drink Fijian grog, it's not alcohol, but a drink made from some ground root.

Last time i drank it, i was also drinking alcohol, after the 2nd cup everything is a blur until 2 am, when i became aware of myself again, i was somehow in Hull, in a club, dancing with people i did not know, drinking orange juice.
My back and face was covered in grazes but i felt no pain.

When i got up in the morning i got told of my antics the night before, i had a lot of apologizing to do lol.
Reply 6
I tried it once, thinking that I would see Kylie Minogue dressed up as a green fairy, and that I would dance the night away singing a rendition of The Hills are Alive/Children of the Revolution and it'd all be very bohemian, like when they drank it in Moulin Rouge.

I woke up in my friend's shed with vomit down my tshirt and my trousers round my ankles...
Original post by christykai1049
Anyone tried absinthe before? What does it feel like and how much do you need to drink to start feeling the effects?

I think everyone here is a light weight.
It's not THAT amazing, it's just like any other strong spirit and two shots will hardly make you pass out.
Reply 8
Depends where you get it I guess, since it can range from 40-80% alcohol. I've only ever had it once and loved it, I had about 5 shots and wasn't 'really' drunk. It's kind of similar to Pernod in taste, liqourish'y but a.s people have said it's a lot hotter. The stuff I had was only from asda, so i'm sure you can get nicer/stronger stuff elsewhere. If the chance arises though, try it - I'd like to have some again soon :tongue:
Reply 9
mix is with something like 7-up (or do the sugarcube mularkey if you really must :rolleyes:) wouldn't recommend doing it as shots
Reply 10
Original post by cid
Last time i drank it, i was also drinking alcohol, after the 2nd cup everything is a blur until 2 am, when i became aware of myself again, i was somehow in Hull, in a club, dancing with people i did not know, drinking orange juice.

Considering your location is set as Kent, that must have been quite a night :wink:
Shooting absinthe is for the uncultured! If you want to actually enjoy drinking it you'll need a fancy spoon, some sugar cubes and to top it up with water.
Reply 12
Tried it in Barcelona. I wouldn't recommend having it as your first drink of the evening, it hits pretty hard. You can also feel it going down and it burns quite a bit. Also, don't set it on fire....
It definitely compounds existing drunkenness by a long way, I've never experience any of the horror stories on this thread though :p: at least not as a result of drinking absinthe, anyway...
Reply 14
OP: It's a drink that happens to have some mythology around it, mostly because of the continental equivalent of today's 'miow miow' scares a few hundred years ago. It's just strong alcohol with an aniseedy taste; don't let people tell you you'll hallucinate or anything stupid like that. And it was never banned in the UK.

Original post by Nucleolus
I tried it once, thinking that I would see Kylie Minogue dressed up as a green fairy, and that I would dance the night away singing a rendition of The Hills are Alive/Children of the Revolution and it'd all be very bohemian, like when they drank it in Moulin Rouge.

The thing about absinthe is that historically it was never drunk straight: you put about a shot in a glass, then drip ice-cold water into it through a sugar cube until it goes cloudy (the louche), and it was generally drunk at the strength of strong wine. If you want to be bohemian (speak of which, 'bohemian absinthe' is basically a euphemism for a bad way of making it) go for the proper ritual, makes it more fun, not to mention actually palatable.

Original post by Kai.
It's kind of similar to Pernod in taste, liqourish'y but a.s people have said it's a lot hotter. The stuff I had was only from asda, so i'm sure you can get nicer/stronger stuff elsewhere. If the chance arises though, try it - I'd like to have some again soon :tongue:

Pernod was invented as an imitation absinthe when it got banned in France, and the company also made (and still makes) one of the first absinthes (now sold as Pernod aux extraits d'absinthe, forgive my spelling).
Reply 15
Drinking it straight: It's like drinking petrol.

And once the burning disappears it tastes you just ate a load of liquorice.

Drinking it 'properly': It's palatable and far less likely to destroy you.
(edited 12 years ago)
I had a couple of shots once. It's disgusting obviously but it didn't make me really wasted or anything. I guess if you mixed it it would just be the same as vodka but stronger.
my mate had some when we were on holiday a few years back, and the night ended with him arse-naked on the toilet, having a sh*t and vomiting at the same time, and about 5 of us stood in the bathroom doorway recording the scene on camera phones.
Reply 18
I've tried it. It's incredibly strong - I only had two shots and felt ill for the rest of the day.
I had one shot of 85% absinthe and was seeing double for ten minutes :eek:

Quick Reply

Latest