The Student Room Group

Anyone tried absinthe before?

Scroll to see replies

Childs play. Try Bolivian Ceibo 96%
South American delight... and destroyed my throat. I'd still drink it though. Some good nights out.
Reply 41
Original post by Craiky1506
The rest of the day? What time did you start? :eek:

I was on holiday, it was in the early afternoon I think.
Original post by tommm
I was on holiday, it was in the early afternoon I think.

Heh fair enough! Good way to spend your holiday being ill.
There appear to be some incredibly lightweight people on here.
Reply 44
We had a miniature bottle mixed into a big cocktail slush we made. All you could taste was the absinthe, it was absolutely disgusting.
I've had a few absinthe bombs before, seemed to have no more effect than jagerbombs.

I guess the cheap stuff they have in bars is much weaker than some, which can be up to 70% alcohol
Reply 46
Original post by cid
meh, its over rated, if you want a drink with crazy effects drink Fijian grog, it's not alcohol, but a drink made from some ground root.

Last time i drank it, i was also drinking alcohol, after the 2nd cup everything is a blur until 2 am, when i became aware of myself again, i was somehow in Hull, in a club, dancing with people i did not know, drinking orange juice.
My back and face was covered in grazes but i felt no pain.

When i got up in the morning i got told of my antics the night before, i had a lot of apologizing to do lol.

What club was you in, Hull? I'm from Hull :smile:
Absinthe is strong, but is worth while if you can handle your alcohol and know how to drink in moderation! It does burn though! :eek:
Original post by TimesChanging
Childs play. Try Bolivian Ceibo 96%
South American delight... and destroyed my throat. I'd still drink it though. Some good nights out.

That could honestly pass for bleach or some other form of cleaning product. Are you even sure that's safe bro?

Was plied with Absinthe on my birthday, it's very, very strong and yes it does burn, but not as bad as everyone's making out. I've had around 6 shots of it on my birthday + pre-drinks and was at a decent level of drunkenness. I don't have any pass out/wake up stories on it though. I'm sure I will have after freshers though :colondollar:
Reply 49
About month ago I went to party and mate had some Absinthe from Kosovo, it looked like Fairy Liquid. It does hit you after a fairly decent shot, your eyes go straight away. We was playing this drinking game called 3 man and the get-out of being 3 man was a shot of Absinthe and this had the shot. She was gone, she couldn't get her words out, she sluring and she'd only had two cans of Fosters before
Original post by Troubled_Student
That could honestly pass for bleach or some other form of cleaning product. Are you even sure that's safe bro?

Was plied with Absinthe on my birthday, it's very, very strong and yes it does burn, but not as bad as everyone's making out. I've had around 6 shots of it on my birthday + pre-drinks and was at a decent level of drunkenness. I don't have any pass out/wake up stories on it though. I'm sure I will have after freshers though :colondollar:

There was a joke saying it removes nail polish... and to be honest it probably could.
Probably not the safest, but in south america most things go! I even brought some home for my mates.. but they refused.
Reply 51
I hate the aniseed taste and much prefer tequilla. I'd only drink absinthe if dared as it didn't end well last time I had it...
I find the mental 80% stuff is easier to drink than the 60 or so percent as the strength just overpowers the horrid flavour, you can feel it travel down your throat though. Had some genuine stuff from Prague, safe to say that's a night I'll never get back.
I tried black absinthe a few years ago. First couple of shots of the night and I threw up. That stuff is poison and I will never drink it or even touch the stuff again.
Reply 54
It can get you wasted easily which is great! But the burning throat sensation is horrible. If i'm ever doing absinthe, I always keep 3 apple sours next to me and have them straight away to clear my throat.
Its not that bad, flaming shots work pretty well. Tastes a little like licorice and is just pretty strong.
My mouth went numb for about ten minutes and then everything got a bit blurry.
It depends on what sort you get: In England I've only ever seen/been able to get 55% stuff, which is barely worse to drink then vodka, in fact it didn't taste as bad. Abroad though, there was a 90% bottle, which is the type people generally mean if they start talking about it. We never got around to having it, although another friend did who just described it as getting blackout-drunk, none of that hallucinogen stuff.
Reply 58
I took a bottle of the stuff they sell in like Ibiza, Antonio Nadal 80% black absinthe to a party I went to a few weeks ago and got loads of people to try it. Most of them were coughing and spluttering with the strength of it.
It honestly feels like someone is replacing the air in your lungs with fire if you drink it straight.

But if you do it properly pour it into a glass and then drop a flaming absinthe-soaked sugar cube into it, topped off with a shot of ice water. It tastes quite nice.
Original post by DCRichards
Tried it in Barcelona. I wouldn't recommend having it as your first drink of the evening, it hits pretty hard. You can also feel it going down and it burns quite a bit. Also, don't set it on fire....

Was that in the Absinthe bar in Barcelona?

I've got a bottle of blue absinthe (80%) sitting on my desk from my very responsible little brother.

Still working out how to get through it :beard:

Anyone know any decent absinthe based cocktails?

Quick Reply

Latest