The Student Room Group

The big fat STEP megathread (NOT for getting help with maths questions)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
Harder than arguably one of the hardest STEP II papers in recent years? Sounds interesting. I really want to see what the paper was like.

I don't think it was as hard as STEP II (I didn't sit STEP II but I have seen the paper). The tricky thing was that it was hard to get full, complete solutions for questions, but some questions were certainly manageable.
Reply 2921
Harder than arguably one of the hardest STEP II papers in recent years? Sounds interesting. I really want to see what the paper was like.

The paper is here http://www.mediafire.com/?5z6pqal73r6wrmn
In case you didn't see it (courtesy of implus in the STEP I thread)

It was nowhere near as hard as the STEP II paper in my opinion, but perhaps that's because I did a lot more STEP I than STEP II (~15 papers vs ~5 papers).
I think I would have done, 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 8 and 13
Reply 2923
Is there any point of the "3" grade in STEP?
I've never seen it asked for before, although I may be wrong and to be honest I would be equally disappointed at getting a 3 or a U (as both would mean I missed my university offer).
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Bork
I've never seen it asked for before, although I may be wrong and to be honest I would be equally disappointed at getting a 3 or a U (as both would mean I missed my university offer).

Perhap its designed to leave you feeling slightly less terible than when you get a U. :smile:
Original post by Bork

I don't know but I'm so glad they do - I had a really bad II paper and think I got a 3 after consistently getting 1's in mocks. Seeing a U after all that work would just kill me inside :tongue:
Reply 2926
Does anyone know what time our results become available online? Is it at midnight?
Original post by tobyc
Does anyone know what time our results become available online? Is it at midnight?

yes
Original post by tobyc

Yes.
Reply 2929
Original post by cpdavis
yes

Yes.

Reply 2930
SimonM

Please could you update the first post to include 2009, 2010 & 2011?

Thanks.
Are all STEP papers likely to take place different dates next year? Apparently, that only happened this year.
Reply 2932
Original post by L'art pour l'art
Are all STEP papers likely to take place different dates next year? Apparently, that only happened this year.

I reckon it might be the start of a new tradition :tongue:
Original post by L'art pour l'art

No one can say, unfortunately. I doubt Cambridge Assessment have even considered this yet. :p:

This year was an outlier in terms of the exam dates, however. The first year that we've been able to take all 3 STEP paper in a single year.
Reply 2934
At STEP school Siklos said that the reason they're allowing people to take all 3 STEP papers is on request from Warwick. I doubt it'll be a single year thing, really.
I was thinking, does anyone have a favourite STEP question, i.e. over all the years are there any questions that stick out in your mind as being very nice?
Also, on a similar note, are there any super hard ones that you remember?
Original post by ben-smith
I was thinking, does anyone have a favourite STEP question, i.e. over all the years are there any questions that stick out in your mind as being very nice?
Also, on a similar note, are there any super hard ones that you remember?

Well there was this one question (I think it was STEP III) where I really liked, as the area under the curve would tend to infinity as you increase the limit to infinity, but the volume tends towards 2 pi

Super hard, for me it was STEP III 2011 (which I got a 3 :tongue: )
Original post by cpdavis
Well there was this one question (I think it was STEP III) where I really liked, as the area under the curve would tend to infinity as you increase the limit to infinity, but the volume tends towards 2 pi

Super hard, for me it was STEP III 2011 (which I got a 3 :tongue: )

I really liked that question, and then there was the one in III a few years back which said let p=dydxp=\frac{dy}{dx} or something similar and then got you to solve DEs in p to solve them for y. That's probably my favourite.

As far as difficult questions go, just about any III question requiring induction. For some reason I could never make them work...
I wrote a poem about the "tethered goat" question from 2006 STEP I.

Oh little STEP goat,
So joyful and so shy;
Eating all the grass you can,
Never more than fourteen pi.

I intend to expand on this, perhaps developing into a full sonnet some time during my life.
Original comment http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=25673143&postcount=27
Original post by jonnyboy1993
I really liked that question, and then there was the one in III a few years back which said let p=dydxp=\frac{dy}{dx} or something similar and then got you to solve DEs in p to solve them for y. That's probably my favourite.

As far as difficult questions go, just about any III question requiring induction. For some reason I could never make them work...

That question was so nice :love: and it came out so nicely :biggrin:

Induction and STEP :headhurts:, just left me in a massive muddle ...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending