The Student Room Group

History in Scotland

Hello everybody,

I´m new here and I hope you can help me.

Is there anybody who´s studying history or scotish studies in scotland?
I have some questions.

Thanks.

Many greedings
Hi, I'm studying History at Stirling if there's anything I can help with :smile:
Reply 2
oh wow, finally someone who answered. =)

In what semester you are?
Do you come from Scotland?

I want to know how it is? Is it hard? Because I heart a lot that studying in Scotland isnt so informative and more cursory. How about the degree programme?

thanking you in anticipation
Reply 3
I´m sorry for my terrible mistakes.. like heart or how.. I hope you know what I mean.
Hi! no bother, I'm not from Scotland, I'm from England...in third semester now,
the course is good, the Scottish history modules are better than the British history ones, the majority of the course is independent study, but maybe that's the same everywhere!?
the course is based on two one-hour lectures a week and an hour seminar, I actually started studying law and have switched to do a joint degree with history because I liked it so much, so you might get a biased opinion from me!!
The only thing that gets a bit repetitive is the first few modules are very similar if you stick to the same area, so if you do british history for semester one and two it's practically the same course, just different dates, and the same for the Scottish history modules, I'm doing a Reputations module now and it's really good!
Hope that helps!! let me know if you want to know anything else!!
Reply 5
Hi,

from England, oh cool. And why do you study in Scotland?

That sounds a little bit few.. >>the course is based on two one-hour lectures a week and an hour seminar<<
Is that really all?
I mean in Germany (where I come from) there you have some more hours you spend in courses. Of course you have to work independent..but you also spend a lot of time in courses.

First of all I´m interested in scotish studies, not so in general history. So I don´t knwo what to do. In Germany you can´t study scotish studies.. only "Anglistik" (means British Studies).
I consider to study in Scotland.. but there are so many people who said that this is not a really good idea, because of the cursorily studies. They said also that in Germany you get a better apprenticeship.:confused:
And I really don´t know if I will be good enough to study in Great Britain. Maybe you see that my English isn´t so good. But I try to get better! :colondollar:

Thanks a lot for your answers :smile:
I study in Scotland because I love the campus and the course, there isn't a lot of time on history in uni, but in first and second year you take three modules, and there's a lot of independent study as well!
Scottish History is really good, but I can only say for Stirling and the modules I've taken, I don't really know about apprenticeships and how good your English has to be, I suppose that's more to do with the university itself.
In the first and second years you have an average of 9 hours in lectures and seminars a week, sometimes more depending on your course
Hope that helps a bit!
Reply 7
I studied History at Dundee and loved it. That's the place to go! Contact time with a tutor varies between modules but the point is that the learning is self-directed as with all humanities subjects.

You will find that around six hours a week contact time is just about right, so go to Scotland and make the most of it.
Reply 8
Thank you both.
I´m still thinking of what to do. I don´t know - stay in Germany or go to Scotland... It´s hard to decide.

I heard that the SAAS will pay my study fee.. But I also heard that - if you have studied a first time - they won´t pay it for you. (Do you know what I mean?) Is that right?

Hope you can help again =)

Many Greetings and a Merry Christmas
I don't know anything about SAAS because I'm not from Scotland so have to pay the fees myself, sorry I couldn't help more but I do totally agree with this
go to Scotland and make the most of it.

Merry Christmas!
Reply 10
So still some questions.. sorry :colondollar:
how much are the fees? and how is Stirling?

and Waster, how is Dundee? I´ve never been there...

Wish you a Merry Christmas :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending