The Student Room Group

Final Uni Choice for History

I'm applying for History for 2024 entry and have so far applied to Oxford, UCL, Durham and Sheffield (I've got an offer of AAB from Sheffield). I would like to use my fifth application but I'm not really sure where to apply.

For context, I am predicted 3A* (including History) and I got 8s and 9s in all my GCSEs.

I am particularly interested in religious history, women's history, art/architectural history and the Civil War (I did my coursework and Oxford submitted work on this and I love it so much, don't judge me) but I really enjoy all sorts of History - once I get to know more about it - so I'm open to going somewhere with a different focus. Ultimately, I want to learn about people and their lived experiences and not just Great Men and their military/political decisions.

In terms of open days I went to Leeds (which I liked), Warwick (which I hated), Durham (which I was somewhat mixed on), UCL (which I really liked), Exeter (which I was mixed on) and Oxford (which is Oxford).

I want to be in a proper city and not just hidden away in some sort of Uni bubble (as previously mentioned, I hated Warwick).

I enjoy cross country and orienteering so ideally I might like to be somewhere near to the Peak District, the Lake District or the Yorkshire Moors (as I currently live somewhere very boring for running).

More generally I would like to be somewhere where lots of people take part in clubs and societies particularly ones raising money for charity as this is something that gives me a lot of fulfillment in Sixth Form.

I love live music so would enjoy living somewhere that gets a lot of bands (or at least is close to somewhere else that gets a lot of bands).

I really do love history as well so living somewhere with a lot of history is important to me (going to a university where this local history is studied would be a particular plus).

I don't really want to apply anywhere in Scotland because I would feel awkward being so obviously English (and bitter about having to pay fees when they don't) but I might be convinced.

I am mainly considering either KCL or Leeds (but possibly also Manchester or York). Do you guys think these would be good choices for me and overall which one should I choose? Given I have an offer from Sheffield do you think it's safe to now apply somewhere more competitive? Am I likely to get in to UCL/Durham and when will I hear back from them? Any advice is appreciated!
Original post by ndwngrve
I'm applying for History for 2024 entry and have so far applied to Oxford, UCL, Durham and Sheffield (I've got an offer of AAB from Sheffield). I would like to use my fifth application but I'm not really sure where to apply.

For context, I am predicted 3A* (including History) and I got 8s and 9s in all my GCSEs.

I am particularly interested in religious history, women's history, art/architectural history and the Civil War (I did my coursework and Oxford submitted work on this and I love it so much, don't judge me) but I really enjoy all sorts of History - once I get to know more about it - so I'm open to going somewhere with a different focus. Ultimately, I want to learn about people and their lived experiences and not just Great Men and their military/political decisions.

In terms of open days I went to Leeds (which I liked), Warwick (which I hated), Durham (which I was somewhat mixed on), UCL (which I really liked), Exeter (which I was mixed on) and Oxford (which is Oxford).

I want to be in a proper city and not just hidden away in some sort of Uni bubble (as previously mentioned, I hated Warwick).

I enjoy cross country and orienteering so ideally I might like to be somewhere near to the Peak District, the Lake District or the Yorkshire Moors (as I currently live somewhere very boring for running).

More generally I would like to be somewhere where lots of people take part in clubs and societies particularly ones raising money for charity as this is something that gives me a lot of fulfillment in Sixth Form.

I love live music so would enjoy living somewhere that gets a lot of bands (or at least is close to somewhere else that gets a lot of bands).

I really do love history as well so living somewhere with a lot of history is important to me (going to a university where this local history is studied would be a particular plus).

I don't really want to apply anywhere in Scotland because I would feel awkward being so obviously English (and bitter about having to pay fees when they don't) but I might be convinced.

I am mainly considering either KCL or Leeds (but possibly also Manchester or York). Do you guys think these would be good choices for me and overall which one should I choose? Given I have an offer from Sheffield do you think it's safe to now apply somewhere more competitive? Am I likely to get in to UCL/Durham and when will I hear back from them? Any advice is appreciated!

Manchester certainly sounds like a fit from a non-course perspective. How do their modules suit you?
Reply 2
Original post by ndwngrve

coming from sum1 that applied for history last year. with ur grades u should get into durham/ucl or both ( I had 3A* predicted and got into UCL,KCL and Edinburgh and my friends with 2A* and 3A* predicted got into durham). to be honest, get ur application done ASAP and then just focus on getting the grades. but if I were u, id pick lse. shot at nothing and really is a oxbridge exquivalent

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending