The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
hello I am new to this and have my induction tomorrow what should I expect???
Original post by cb123
hello I am new to this and have my induction tomorrow what should I expect???

Lots of DVD watching about health and safety, fire alarms, Sainsbury's history etc and some group tasks (if there are others :wink:) More than likely you'll have a tour around the store as well and details such as holiday, pay, clocking-in, absence (and such like) will be explained. :smile: Good luck!
Reply 102
Original post by DarkMagic

Original post by DarkMagic
Yup. :biggrin:

Yay for payday. :biggrin:

Meaning say you book a holiday. when its the payday for the period in which your holiday lies in, do you get paid for the holiday you booked?

Or are holidays not paid?
Reply 103
wtf. the 20% discount is only till sunday? does it go down to 15% after that.. or back to 10%?
Weird, just checked my Sainsburys job application online and its says:

Application in Progress 16-Nov-2011 14:54:00
First Stage Interview 18-Nov-2011 14:03:59
Verbal Offer - Accepted 28-Nov-2011 13:16:08
Terminate Application 28-Nov-2011 13:17:08

What does terminate application mean? My inductions next week btw.
Reply 105
I wouldn't go off what the website says. I've been working there 3.5 years and my application still says it's in progress.
Had my first proper shift on the checkouts today. Struggling to get everything right and keep forgetting to give the customer cash-back money when they've asked. :/ Maybe I need more till training? I get in a panic when an item doesn't scan, as I don't know how to enter codes etc.
How long did it take anyone to settle in & learn everything on the checkout? Any help or tips would be great :smile: x
Reply 107
I have a question.

What happens if a car drives into the trolleys you are collecting in the car park.

My main duties are to collect large and small trolleys in the car park. Today, I was collecting trolleys, and a car literally drove about a mm away from them. I was pushing them forward. The person reverse her car into the parking space, I stopped the trolleys, and the trolleys was less then a mm from hitting her car.

If she drove into the parking space, so her car is facing forward, she would of saw me and stopped, but she reverse her car doing a U turn.

Now, accidents do happen in the car park, and I have had a car drove into the trolleys I was collecting in the past, luckily, the driver didn't say anything. Other times, I leave the trolley at a place, and the trolleys suddenly move and hits the car, don't know whether it's the wind or something.

So, anyone work in the car park, knows what happens if you hit your trolley onto a car, whether you drove into it or it drove into your trolleys and the customer complains?

As, I am bound to not be so lucky next time around. It ain't even my fault, some car drive past your trolleys, when there isn't much space.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 108
Original post by raspberry3
Had my first proper shift on the checkouts today. Struggling to get everything right and keep forgetting to give the customer cash-back money when they've asked. :/ Maybe I need more till training? I get in a panic when an item doesn't scan, as I don't know how to enter codes etc.
How long did it take anyone to settle in & learn everything on the checkout? Any help or tips would be great :smile: x

I work on Fresh but I have to pop on every so often and I promise you, it gets so much easier... It really is like learning to drive, your first few goes will feel like everything's going 100mph and you'll feel like everyone's watching you, but after that it gets so much better.

I really struggled remembering to keep hold of vouchers at first, but you'll start to pick it up etc.

Just stay confident, follow the usual instructions and if there is a problem just call your supervisor (they are there to help) and last of all don't forget to ask for ID when necessary because it is tempting to 'let it fly'.

Enjoy! :smile:

One thing I don't know though is - do we have the right to take an ID off someone if we think it's fake? Or do we just call our supervisor or something...?
(edited 12 years ago)
Hello,

I've just accepted a job offer and now have a 3 day induction next week. I was just wondering, what exactly will I be doing over the 3 days? I wouldn't have thought an induction would take 3 days.

Thanks.
Reply 110
Original post by raspberry3

Don't worry it was your 1st shift. It does take a bit of time to remember everything. I still do sometimes forget to give people cashback & I've worked on checkouts for over 2 1/12years. If an item doesn't scan, try using the hand scanner if that doesn't work just key in the barcode number and press enter.

Give it a few more shifts & if you still think you need more training then ask for it.

:smile:
If you forget to hand over cashback, how do you open the till again to access the money?
Original post by Negotiator
If you forget to hand over cashback, how do you open the till again to access the money?

There's a 'no sale' button on the screen...press that and the till will open so you can give the cashback.

Original post by hasm
Meaning say you book a holiday. when its the payday for the period in which your holiday lies in, do you get paid for the holiday you booked?

Or are holidays not paid?

Yes, you get paid for the holiday in the payday relevant to the period you took the holiday in. :smile:

Original post by number-11
wtf. the 20% discount is only till sunday? does it go down to 15% after that.. or back to 10%?

After Sunday it will be 15% until January 4th.

Original post by lee_dude165
Hello,

I've just accepted a job offer and now have a 3 day induction next week. I was just wondering, what exactly will I be doing over the 3 days? I wouldn't have thought an induction would take 3 days.

Thanks.

For me, the first two days were full of signing forms, watching health and safety videos, learning about the history of the company and team activities. The third day was till-training. Not saying it'll be exactly the same for you, but I imagine it'll be something similar.
Original post by Liam6993

For me, the first two days were full of signing forms, watching health and safety videos, learning about the history of the company and team activities. The third day was till-training. Not saying it'll be exactly the same for you, but I imagine it'll be something similar.

Oh, ok. Thanks! What should I wear for it?
Original post by lee_dude165
Oh, ok. Thanks! What should I wear for it?

Smart-casual.

If they give you your uniform on the first day of your induction then they'll probably ask you to wear it on the subsequent days.
For anyone whose had an interview recently, what questions were you asked?

The TSR article suggested that the interviewers have a set number of questions to ask you and there's only three of them. I've prepared for the three that the article mentioned but I just want to be ready for anything else that might otherwise throw me off a little.

Any other tips for the interview would also be much appreciated.

Thanks!
For those that do overtime, do you have a set amount of overtime that you will not go over? What I mean is doing overtime which tips the balance and you are essentially working for free due to the tax. Am currently on 24/26 hours a week and am trying to work the most number of hours I can theoretically work a week before the taxes become too much.
Reply 117
Original post by Competencies
For anyone whose had an interview recently, what questions were you asked?

The TSR article suggested that the interviewers have a set number of questions to ask you and there's only three of them. I've prepared for the three that the article mentioned but I just want to be ready for anything else that might otherwise throw me off a little.

Any other tips for the interview would also be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I got asked a couple of questions.

1) Tell me bit about your self?

2) What does the role you are applying for involve?

3) What do you know about Sainsburys?

4) Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?

Before they take you for a 1 to 1 interview, you will watch a DVD test. I never got the job because i failed the customer service part of the DVD test so you must pass the test to have any chance of getting the job.

Good luck for the interview and let us know how you get on.
Original post by Anton19
I got asked a couple of questions.

1) Tell me bit about your self?

2) What does the role you are applying for involve?

3) What do you know about Sainsburys?

4) Why do you want to work for Sainsburys?

Before they take you for a 1 to 1 interview, you will watch a DVD test. I never got the job because i failed the customer service part of the DVD test so you must pass the test to have any chance of getting the job.

Good luck for the interview and let us know how you get on.

Cheers for the help, really appreciate it!

I was prepared for all those questions except the first one which I think would've thrown me off a little bit so thanks for letting me know.

I have my interview on Monday so anyone who needs and help/advice after then, quote me and I'll respond.
hey does anyone know if i will be expected to got to my shift on xmas eve if it starts 30 minutes before closing time :\ i'll ask when i go in next but just wondering if any off you had experience with this thanks :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending