The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Downing Street has announced this will not happen.
Reply 101
The yacht wouldnt belong to the Queen!! It would belong to the nation, its a diplomatic tool, the British version of Air Force One
Reply 102
Gove really knows how to fail.

In other news, spending cuts on the elderly... maybe that £60m would be more appropriate there.
Original post by WelshBluebird
If it is that bad she can abdicate you know.
She does have a choice in it.

What, and go and become a graphic designer or make furniture for a living? One of the reasons why the royals often go into the Military is because it's one of the few institutions where their treatment is largely unaffected by the fact they are Princes etc. And this is all assuming they're happy to cause a fairly enormous commotion and relative upset to their country just because they want to go and become a graphic designer or furniture creator. It's like going against your parents wishes for a career, but on a national scale. It's not quite as simple as you're making out...
Original post by CyclopsRock
What, and go and become a graphic designer or make furniture for a living? One of the reasons why the royals often go into the Military is because it's one of the few institutions where their treatment is largely unaffected by the fact they are Princes etc. And this is all assuming they're happy to cause a fairly enormous commotion and relative upset to their country just because they want to go and become a graphic designer or furniture creator. It's like going against your parents wishes for a career, but on a national scale. It's not quite as simple as you're making out...

I was not talking about the issues surrounding it.
You said she did not have a choice.
I was just stating that is not the case.
This vessel won't belong to the Queen though, I am sure it will be HM Govt that owns it.

There are also about 200+ embassies etc. for the UK Worldwide. Spending £60m on supporting them in the global effort to expand British trade doesn't really seem like a lot of money really?
(edited 12 years ago)

You can't ignore the 'issues surrounding it', for the same reason you can't say "You can't be free'er than anarchism!" Having a de jure choice that has, in reality, no reasonable options but to maintain the status quo is not a "choice" in any realistic sense of the word. I think you're letting your bias get the better of you.

There is a difference between an actual choice and a 'choice'. The world is never that simple.
Original post by Steevee
And yet it was a global event. It put the UK on the forefront of minds the world over. And you can't put a price tag on that. And once again, the Wedding continues to be a toursit attraction.

Riiight, so we're now chopping and changing what we've said before are we? :rolleyes:

You first made the case that the diamond jubilee would be an 'economic boost' to the country, and now you're backtracking into the 'you can't put a price tag on that' argument because you've just realised that there is in fact no real economic benefit from these royal vanity events. I think its funny how you can quite happily make the case for this £60mil yacht being a small drop in the ocean, but you ignore the relative insignificance of tourist income generated by the royal wedding in comparison to the drop in national economic output caused by it.
Original post by Bellissima
i hate the royal family how the F*** do they "bring in tourism" that we wouldn't normally get worth the MILLIONS we spend on them in order for them to live a F***ing silver spoon life with that dumbass middleton buying FIVE DRESSES for bloody christmas day!!! they wind me up so much!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

i wouldn't even mind having a royal family if they weren't such leeches. why the hell do they need so much money!!! f***ing disgusting... then charles the dumbass that he is goes and designs that absolutely disgusting monstrosity in dorchester or thereabouts... i don't think that was out of "tax payers money" it was "his own" (if you can call the duchy of cornwall his "own" money) but it still was an absolute mess...

they don't bring in enough tourism to justify the money they are given... people would come to visit this country whether we had a royal family or not.. they can do whatever the hell they like and it is SO WRONG!!!!!!!! none of them EARNED IT!!!!!! they were just GIVEN IT!!!! none of their parents earned it, none of them!!!!!!!! and yet if i say i hate them, i am not patriotic, i hate england/britain... i don't... i love that i am british i love my country but those morons are NOT what britain is to me! they are ANCIENT HISTORY.

lol, can you tell i feel strongly about this? i'm not this mad in real life... promise..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhyYgnhhKFw

stfu you shlagggggggggggg
Original post by GunnerBill
This vessel won't belong to the Queen though, I am sure it will be HM Govt that owns it.

There are also about 200+ embassies etc. for the UK Worldwide. Spending £60m on supporting them in the global effort to expand British trade doesn't really seem like a lot of money really?

I imagine a £60m vessel would create quite a few jobs too! Both on-board and in its manufacture, maybe even promote British industry once more..
i hate the royal family how the F*** do they "bring in tourism" that we wouldn't normally get worth the MILLIONS we spend on them in order for them to live a F***ing silver spoon life with that dumbass middleton buying FIVE DRESSES for bloody christmas day!!! they wind me up so much!!!!!!!!!!!! WTF!!!!!!

i wouldn't even mind having a royal family if they weren't such leeches. why the hell do they need so much money!!! f***ing disgusting... then charles the dumbass that he is goes and designs that absolutely disgusting monstrosity in dorchester or thereabouts... i don't think that was out of "tax payers money" it was "his own" (if you can call the duchy of cornwall his "own" money) but it still was an absolute mess...

they don't bring in enough tourism to justify the money they are given... people would come to visit this country whether we had a royal family or not.. they can do whatever the hell they like and it is SO WRONG!!!!!!!! none of them EARNED IT!!!!!! they were just GIVEN IT!!!! none of their parents earned it, none of them!!!!!!!! and yet if i say i hate them, i am not patriotic, i hate england/britain... i don't... i love that i am british i love my country but those morons are NOT what britain is to me! they are ANCIENT HISTORY.

lol, can you tell i feel strongly about this? i'm not this mad in real life... promise..

Bit naive on the contributions of the royal family to say the least. You really think they sit at home with a lot of free time, twiddling their thumbs and watching the Jeremy Kyle show? I guess you would support the figureheads of out country turning up at a state ball wearing the same primark dress worn the night before? I think you need to look at facts and reality more.
Reply 112
Original post by internet tough guy
Riiight, so we're now chopping and changing what we've said before are we? :rolleyes:

You first made the case that the diamond jubilee would be an 'economic boost' to the country, and now you're backtracking into the 'you can't put a price tag on that' argument because you've just realised that there is in fact no real economic benefit from these royal vanity events. I think its funny how you can quite happily make the case for this £60mil yacht being a small drop in the ocean, but you ignore the relative insignificance of tourist income generated by the royal wedding in comparison to the drop in national economic output caused by it.

The thing is though, tourist income, international awareness, national prestige and everything else that goes with it last, for a long time. The event is a single day, a day of celebration and jubilation, a day that lives in the memory for ever. These things cannot be valued purely on money.
Original post by ForKicks
I imagine a £60m vessel would create quite a few jobs too! Both on-board and in its manufacture, maybe even promote British industry once more..

Really if some people can get over all these tedious "class" issues I think it is a compelete "no brainer". I actually don't understand why there wasn't a new one built before the old one was commissioned.

I bet you that if we turned into a Republic and our next President was Dear Tony himself there'd be a Presidential yacht quick enough.
Original post by ForKicks
Bit naive on the contributions of the royal family to say the least. You really think they sit at home with a lot of free time, twiddling their thumbs and watching the Jeremy Kyle show? I guess you would support the figureheads of out country turning up at a state ball wearing the same primark dress worn the night before? I think you need to look at facts and reality more.

nope i know what they do i just don't think it justifies the amount we give them but in all honesty it doesn't bother me that much because they aren't going anywhere...
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

i've already seen that vid i still am not a fan
Original post by Steevee
The thing is though, tourist income, international awareness, national prestige and everything else that goes with it last, for a long time. The event is a single day, a day of celebration and jubilation, a day that lives in the memory for ever. These things cannot be valued purely on money.

The thing is though, all that you've said above bears absolutely no relevance to the 'economic boost' that you've attributed the diamond jubilee as having.
nope i know what they do i just don't think it justifies the amount we give them but in all honesty it doesn't bother me that much because they aren't going anywhere...

How much would you give them if you had control over the purse only?
Reply 118
Original post by Steevee
Oh please. This is a drop in the ocean compared to the Olympics or the benifits bill. The Diamond Jubilee isn't something that happens everyday, when was the last one?

If this was something that the whole country could enjoy such as a ceremony or some kind of show, then i would be inclined to agree.

However, it's a friggin' boat. What possible joy could that give the British people wanting to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee? None. It's just something shiny for the royals to sit in and wave from. Whilst £60m may be 'a drop in the ocean compared to the Olympics or benefits bill', i could think of a whole bunch of worse for wear areas that could use £60m better than on a yacht!
Reply 119
Original post by internet tough guy
The thing is though, all that you've said above bears absolutely no relevance to the 'economic boost' that you've attributed the diamond jubilee as having.

The economic boost is immesurable, because it comes down to subtle things. However, directly I would argue it probably will have.

Original post by JBullyWBA
If this was something that the whole country could enjoy such as a ceremony or some kind of show, then i would be inclined to agree.

However, it's a friggin' boat. What possible joy could that give the British people wanting to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee? None. It's just something shiny for the royals to sit in and wave from. Whilst £60m may be 'a drop in the ocean compared to the Olympics or benefits bill', i could think of a whole bunch of worse for wear areas that could use £60m better than on a yacht!

The yacht is to be the centrepiece of the entire procession.

Latest

Trending

Trending