The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
college
no

I've got 2 collections and have actually done 0 work (I did lots of paid work in the holidays! and have spent about 7 hours in the oxstu offices since arriving in oxford! it's not my fault! honest...)
Reply 21
This makes me feel so much better. Have not started to revise yet, have been doing lots of paid work too! Attempted to work this week but it took three days to get through one tute sheet and i have four more to do.... Any (helpful) advice?
Had been hoping all collections weren't 3 hours long.....
Ventricles
Oh i am so so so so so not ready for collections :frown: and there only a few days away now :eek:

i do have a qu tho, where do you actually sit them? is it somewhere in college? and please tell me we don't have to wear our gowns like in the big exams?

what do you mean by big exams?

If you mean Collections - then no not to my knowledge. Although it could vary between colleges I dont think its usual to have to wear a gown.

If you meant prelims - the answer is yes - gown and the full regalia to boot.
Reply 23
What!? We have to go to the Exam Schools and wear a gown for our Collections! Unfair...

Agh, I really haven't revised enough...
Reply 24
Pants to revision for useless exams, that's what I say! :tongue:
Showsni
What!? We have to go to the Exam Schools and wear a gown for our Collections! Unfair...

mmm...certain univites in sub fusc! :redface:
Showsni

Really?
Not for collections, for real exams like Mods and Finals(where you have to wear full subfusc.) Collections you just take in hall or somewhere in college - theoretically you have to wear a gown here and most people do (as do our tutors when they hand out the papers) but they're not that bothered if you don't - it's just a harmless piece of tradition and the most formal thing about collections!
tritogeneia1
Not for collections, for real exams like Mods and Finals(where you have to wear full subfusc.) Collections you just take in hall or somewhere in college - theoretically you have to wear a gown here and most people do (as do our tutors when they hand out the papers) but they're not that bothered if you don't - it's just a harmless piece of tradition and the most formal thing about collections!

I know, I'm a 3rd year ... :smile: but thought the person above went to a college where they made you wear gowns and go to exam schools!! We don't have to wear gowns at Lincoln, but the collections do take place in the library which is very pretty and can be distracting when you're trying to concentrate!!
Reply 29
Megsy
oh yes, and money if you do well...just like prelims!

Only certain very generous colleges give monetary prizes for collections. Most seem to believe that the glory of doing well should be enough.
Reply 30
I'd just like to add the following:

"Argh! Collections!"

And also to ask if anyone knows whether Magdalen gives out money for good collection results...

(not that it's likely to affect me!)
Reply 31
dancingqueen
I know, I'm a 3rd year ... :smile: but thought the person above went to a college where they made you wear gowns and go to exam schools!! We don't have to wear gowns at Lincoln, but the collections do take place in the library which is very pretty and can be distracting when you're trying to concentrate!!

I do. Univ. Maybe it's just a maths thing... At least it's only next door. And just a gown, not full sub fusc.
Reply 32
Yttrium - never heard of it.

but uni exam results related perks aren't bad!
Reply 33
Im pretty sure we're all dreading doing collecitons, come on...there cant be anyone who actually ENJOYS them!! lol. But hey, there's not much chance of failing, especially if your doign an arts subject. If you do fail which im pretty sure wont happen they'll probably let it go if you blame lack of sleep or something. :smile: Its only the real mods you have to worry about!! :cool:

Casey
Anyone else dreading a three-hour stint on Friday morning :frown: ?

I don't really want to fail (and hope I won't), but say I did what would be the worst thing that could happen :smile: ? Surely they'd just make me repeat them or something?
Reply 34
Someone else doing history in my year at college hasn't turned up for one collection since we started - bear in mind I'm a second year!

Also, chill Chloé!
This might b such a stupid question:
Ive heard that in som cases they can enforce a pass mark on the collection results. Do they tell u that b4 u sit the collections or after?

I ask cos im gonna grandly F up of collections tommorow... ahhh I h8 anatomy!
Reply 36
That could have gone better... :frown:

And there's another one in an hour and a quarter.
Dizzykiki
Someone else doing history in my year at college hasn't turned up for one collection since we started - bear in mind I'm a second year!

Don't your tutors mind?
DONE! :biggrin: Phew!
Reply 39
That was worse than the first one. Moral: revise.

Latest

Trending

Trending