The Student Room Group

Is D1 easy to self-teach quite quickly?

Title pretty much says it all. I've made a start on it and I'm currently working through Algorithms - It doesn't seem difficult at the moment even though I've only completed the first topic (using the EdExcel textbook). I won't be spending time on D1 everyday as I have other subjects to concentrate on too. Any topics in D1 that I should consider getting a tutor for or is the whole module pretty much self-explanatory? If so, any tips? Thanks.

The resources that I'm using are the following:

Edexcel official textbook
Livemaths

And that's pretty much it. I'm asking this as I've pretty much been spoon-fed up until now (I've basically never self-taught any module)
(edited 12 years ago)
D1 is not at all a hard module.
I think the explanation makes it harder than it really is. Having a teacher for D1 is a better option. The explanations are long and it just makes everything really confusing when all you need to do is write a number down.
If you want a challenge - a friend of a friend needed an A in Further Maths for his offer but was not going to get it off the modules he was doing. He learnt D1 and D2 in a single week and (as far as I know) did very well.

D1 in 7 weeks is definitely doable.
Reply 4
D1 is a simple module, however I had a teacher and he did explain some of the things really well. It also also a very short module, and the exam questions are very straight forward. If you stuck during your self teaching, message me :smile:
Reply 5
I haven't even started either unit properly and I have to sit both exams this summer, haha. M2 and D2 on the same day looks interesting. I'll opt to do D2 first so I can hear them discussing the M2 answers outside.
Reply 6
Original post by CHY872
If you want a challenge - a friend of a friend needed an A in Further Maths for his offer but was not going to get it off the modules he was doing. He learnt D1 and D2 in a single week and (as far as I know) did very well.

D1 in 7 weeks is definitely doable.

About the 7 weeks. The plan isn't to finish it in 7 weeks but to actually get it done in around 3 weeks as time is needed to revise over things. Plus I won't be spending time on it everyday as I have other subjects to work on too.
Reply 7
Original post by Kravez
About the 7 weeks. The plan isn't to finish it in 7 weeks but to actually get it done in around 3 weeks as time is needed to revise over things. Plus I won't be spending time on it everyday as I have other subjects to work on too.

D1 is a free A-Level module.
Reply 8
I think you could easily self-teach it, and just ask on here if you get stuck with anything. :smile:
Reply 9
word of warning not to leave it too late: my friend took his teacher's advice that "you can teach yourself D1 in a weekend" to heart. he tried to learn it in an evening and got a U. just remember that there are actual things you need to learn like (OCR MEI course) Djikstra's, Kruskal's and Prim's algorithms.
if you can't remember these bad boys then you're screwed for around half the marks
D1 isn't a difficult module to learn; it does tend to have high grade boundaries though and the mark scheme can supposedly be fiddly at times. To put things into perspective, the most difficult part I've come across is probably Linear Programming, and that's now part of the GCSE syllabus.

You can self-teach it, just make sure you definitely get your head wrapped round the algorithms and do a few practise papers so you know what answers the examiner is looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest