The Student Room Group

Animal Management Level 3 advice

Does anyone have any experience doing animal management level 3?

I am starting this course in September (hopefully) and just wondered if anyone
Could tell me about the basics of the course?
Offer any advice? [working with animals/fitting in,/ equipment stores)
Tell me about workload?
Original post by username3606568

Tell me about workload?

Basics of the course are as follows:

You have no choice of the modules (topics) you study in your first year and your provider will choose two optional modules to run provided by the exam board (usually City & Guilds.) Most of the work is assignment-based and you will get practice at these quite early on in the form of formative assignments. These are like mock assignments and don't count towards your final grade. Your lecturers will teach you the material from the spec and set assignments for you to complete towards your course. As long as you get a pass in these, it will not affect your final grade. Your grade comes from any practical assessments, synoptic assignment and synoptic exam. You will also have a biology exam as well as others such as health & safety (in my case). Clarify this on an individual basis with your staff though.

Although things will seem quite overwhelming at first when you're introduced to your animal unit, you'll be surprised how quickly you find your way around. After a while it will be like second nature meaning it's a lot like starting secondary but you'll be more mature. Don't be afraid to ask staff where things are and also take advantage of returning students and pick their brains and you'll pick things up and get work done quicker. Everyone should be quite understanding at first and recognise you may take a bit longer to start with.

As far as fitting in goes, the experience will be a bit different to starting secondary. You should find it easier as it;s likely you have a common interest with everyone else in your group which is animals. Everyone is also more mature which helps. I personally get along with everyone in my group and other groups in the college. I've become quite close to a lot of people quickly which is great and as long as you get yourself out there, you will be the same too!

All of the equipment will either be provided unless stated. As long as you turn up with the basics, the staff should be quite understanding that you don't know what you;re doing at first. Any other equipment you missed off can be purchased after you start so you know exactly what you'll need. All the animal equipment will be shown to you over time by staff which is one of the many benefits of studying a practical-based course like this.

Finally, the workload for the Level 3 is not easy, it's also not majorly difficult as long as you revise, use your time wisely and master self-discipline which is part of gaining further independence studying at a college rather than sixth form. All the staff should again be understanding, this is what the formative or mock assignments are for. They're really useful to get used to assignment writing and referencing etc. That way, you get used to the assessment method for when it comes to writing your proper assignments later. At first, you'll find things are quite easy as it's mainly the lecturers teaching you material from the course spec. You'll get a few proper assignments after doing a couple of formatives. Use your feedback and work on these as a guide for your other assignments, consistency is a good idea so once you produce one distinction assignment at the start of the year when you have little work, use this a guide to help you when the workload increases - it will save you a lot of time! The synoptic assignment can be stressful, it's quite a lot of work to complete in a relatively short space of time but your lecturers and tutors will be there to help you. Manage your time and prioritise (another key point with this course) and you should be fine. Use time management methods and revision methods that helped you in GCSE here. Most importantly, don't let your workload stack up, plan your assignments to reduce stress for yourself. Hand everything in by the due dates and communicate frequently with your lecturers - especially if you;re struggling. When it comes to workload, you have to remember that if you go onto the two year level 3 full diploma, you are studying the highest level qualification you can after secondary school so you can't expect it to be easy else everyone would be on it. The course is worth the same as three A Levels so the course at a Distinction* is the same as three full A Levels at A* allowing you to go on to study a full degree programme (level 6) should you wish after.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions that I've missed out. Most importantly, good luck and enjoy your course!

Bradley
Reply 2
Hi I'm currently doing level 3 animal management atm and my teacher says if you are close to a pass (near pass) but technically fail the biology exam it counts as a fail yet I'm trying to get distinctions in all coursework and you can't retake the exams if you get a "near pass" but if you fail you can I think I got a bear pass an I was wondering if I'm able to get onto second year extended is there anything I can do? Please help
(edited 5 years ago)
Has anyone managed to get hold of past papers for unit 2?
I am currently doing animal management level 3, beforehand I did two level 2 courses, But I was told that if I don't pass my maths this year then I won't be able to do the 2nd year of animal management.
But I've finally got an idea of what I want to do which is to work in veterinary, but since I haven't done a veterinary course and might not be able to do the 2nd year will I be able to do work in veterinary?
As my college has a veterinary course but the requirements are 5 GCSEs at grade 4 which I sadly don't have, anyone know whether if you have done previous college courses would that count towards the entry requirements?
Done an animal care work-base level 2, Animal care technical level 2 - and level 2 is apparently equivalent to a GCSE, so will they accept that to allow me to do the course?

OR, if I am unable to do a Veterinary course would a vets accept me for having an animal management level 3 qualification?
Have you looked into apprenticeship or foundation course… there is other ways around the requirements.
Reply 6
Original post by username3606568

Tell me about workload?

Original post by Bradley C
Basics of the course are as follows:

You have no choice of the modules (topics) you study in your first year and your provider will choose two optional modules to run provided by the exam board (usually City & Guilds.) Most of the work is assignment-based and you will get practice at these quite early on in the form of formative assignments. These are like mock assignments and don't count towards your final grade. Your lecturers will teach you the material from the spec and set assignments for you to complete towards your course. As long as you get a pass in these, it will not affect your final grade. Your grade comes from any practical assessments, synoptic assignment and synoptic exam. You will also have a biology exam as well as others such as health & safety (in my case). Clarify this on an individual basis with your staff though.

Although things will seem quite overwhelming at first when you're introduced to your animal unit, you'll be surprised how quickly you find your way around. After a while it will be like second nature meaning it's a lot like starting secondary but you'll be more mature. Don't be afraid to ask staff where things are and also take advantage of returning students and pick their brains and you'll pick things up and get work done quicker. Everyone should be quite understanding at first and recognise you may take a bit longer to start with.

As far as fitting in goes, the experience will be a bit different to starting secondary. You should find it easier as it;s likely you have a common interest with everyone else in your group which is animals. Everyone is also more mature which helps. I personally get along with everyone in my group and other groups in the college. I've become quite close to a lot of people quickly which is great and as long as you get yourself out there, you will be the same too!

All of the equipment will either be provided unless stated. As long as you turn up with the basics, the staff should be quite understanding that you don't know what you;re doing at first. Any other equipment you missed off can be purchased after you start so you know exactly what you'll need. All the animal equipment will be shown to you over time by staff which is one of the many benefits of studying a practical-based course like this.

Finally, the workload for the Level 3 is not easy, it's also not majorly difficult as long as you revise, use your time wisely and master self-discipline which is part of gaining further independence studying at a college rather than sixth form. All the staff should again be understanding, this is what the formative or mock assignments are for. They're really useful to get used to assignment writing and referencing etc. That way, you get used to the assessment method for when it comes to writing your proper assignments later. At first, you'll find things are quite easy as it's mainly the lecturers teaching you material from the course spec. You'll get a few proper assignments after doing a couple of formatives. Use your feedback and work on these as a guide for your other assignments, consistency is a good idea so once you produce one distinction assignment at the start of the year when you have little work, use this a guide to help you when the workload increases - it will save you a lot of time! The synoptic assignment can be stressful, it's quite a lot of work to complete in a relatively short space of time but your lecturers and tutors will be there to help you. Manage your time and prioritise (another key point with this course) and you should be fine. Use time management methods and revision methods that helped you in GCSE here. Most importantly, don't let your workload stack up, plan your assignments to reduce stress for yourself. Hand everything in by the due dates and communicate frequently with your lecturers - especially if you;re struggling. When it comes to workload, you have to remember that if you go onto the two year level 3 full diploma, you are studying the highest level qualification you can after secondary school so you can't expect it to be easy else everyone would be on it. The course is worth the same as three A Levels so the course at a Distinction* is the same as three full A Levels at A* allowing you to go on to study a full degree programme (level 6) should you wish after.

I hope this helps and let me know if you have any further questions that I've missed out. Most importantly, good luck and enjoy your course!

Bradley

Hi,I don't know if I should do a level 3 btec in animal management or an foundation year in Art and Design, with either option I want to gain more science based a levels on the side, the only options I have though would be to study a levels online at home whlist doing one of those two courses. I have already done a levels but they are irrelevant to science, I'm interested in having a veterinary related career but I have been working towards art for a while. I have also read online that the btec in animal management is not accepted or recognised by a lot of places. I'm at a dilemma and have the option to study one of the two courses in the next few weeks. I was wondering if you had any advice, thanks
Reply 7
Original post by Alicehale6
I am currently doing animal management level 3, beforehand I did two level 2 courses, But I was told that if I don't pass my maths this year then I won't be able to do the 2nd year of animal management.
But I've finally got an idea of what I want to do which is to work in veterinary, but since I haven't done a veterinary course and might not be able to do the 2nd year will I be able to do work in veterinary?
As my college has a veterinary course but the requirements are 5 GCSEs at grade 4 which I sadly don't have, anyone know whether if you have done previous college courses would that count towards the entry requirements?
Done an animal care work-base level 2, Animal care technical level 2 - and level 2 is apparently equivalent to a GCSE, so will they accept that to allow me to do the course?

OR, if I am unable to do a Veterinary course would a vets accept me for having an animal management level 3 qualification?

Hi,
I'm thinking of doing animal management too, the post you made was two years old so I'm just wondering if the course helped you with further opportunities? Since I've read a lot on here that the animal management course isn't well accepted by unis. Was the course overall worth it? And does it lead to good opportunities?
Thanks
does anyone knwo if me completely failing health 2 on a level 3 will affect my grade a lot. im guessing it will but im in full panic mode since i have been in the hospital for the fast 2 weeks and it is due today and i have no idea what i am doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending