The Student Room Group

ACA study textbooks

I'm planning on self-teaching the ACA. I've done some searching around and can't seem to find any study texts for it. Is there anything out there? I don't want to pay for courses as they're too expensive.

I've just found out the official site offers e-books. Does anyone know if they're detailed. Don't want to purchase it without know what it contains.
(edited 3 months ago)
Hey there!

Yes the ICAEW materials are detailed. More than sufficient to pass.

These typically contain:

The actual study book text

Question banks

If the exam requires any additional material (Tax) they should also include these depending on the exam.

As a bare minimum, you will need the ICAEW books - especially the question banks for all exams.

Certificate level is relatively easy - you won't be missing much by self-studying.

Many learning providers offer their own 'course notes' - they are typically included as part of their courses. They are simply abridged versions of the ICAEW study text (that is also provided as part of these courses) - the difference is that their course notes cut out some of the 'theory' and explanations that may not be relevant to you in the exam.

Everybody uses the question banks. They are a must. You will not succeed in ACA without them and proper question practice.

For professional examinations, the ICAEW material will also do fine. You might struggle though on papers given the large amount of technical knowledge on some of the more complex exams.

As somebody who self studied myself, a number of learning providers (such as BPP) offer shorter, 'recap' courses where you'll have access to all their materials for a short space of time (<£50) . I found these quite useful to access their materials on the more complicated examinations, as well as have the opportunity to have a mock exam marked by a real examiner. Something to consider when you get to that stage.

Hope that helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending