The Student Room Group

How do I learn how to use tools?

My parents are very proud of me because I have gotten accepted into a university, but I'm not sure how I will fare living alone. I have no idea how to use a hammer, a saw, or screwdrivers. I know how to use things like a wrench, and a shovel, and basic things like that. I'd rather learn how to use them now so I don't need to scramble to find someone else to fix something the minute something goes wrong at university. Any advice?
Original post by Anonymous
My parents are very proud of me because I have gotten accepted into a university, but I'm not sure how I will fare living alone. I have no idea how to use a hammer, a saw, or screwdrivers. I know how to use things like a wrench, and a shovel, and basic things like that. I'd rather learn how to use them now so I don't need to scramble to find someone else to fix something the minute something goes wrong at university. Any advice?

YouTube
Reply 2
You shouldn't need to do any of this in uni accom.

Mind you, I say this. when at my Oxford accom, I variously fixed a leaking loo, a water pump, and a dodgy radiator.
I never once had to use any of those while at uni. In any case something like a hammer is pretty self explanatory, you just stick a screw into something and whack it with hammer again and again and again. And a screwdriver you just slot into the screw slit and then twist, simples.

If you're renting any repairs requiring those kind of tools are the responsibility of the landlord, not the tenant - and in fact you quite possibly shouldn't undertake them as a tenant as then if anything subsequently goes wrong as a result of those repairs, not only will you not be entitled to any kind of compensation for damage to your belongings, but you are likely to be liable for any damage to the property.

If you can screw in a lightbulb you'll be fine. Obviously developing those skills isn't a bad idea in of itself, but I wouldn't use them for the purpose you are suggesting.

Also to be perfectly frank, if you can't figure out how to use a hammer you have some bigger problems.
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
I never once had to use any of those while at uni. In any case something like a hammer is pretty self explanatory, you just stick a screw into something and whack it with hammer again and again and again. And a screwdriver you just slot into the screw slit and then twist, simples.

To be fair there are different types of screwdrivers and screw heads (even just beyond philips and flathead) and using the wrong one will mess up the screw and potentially make things much harder.

But yes a hammer is possibly the most straightforward tool you could use :wink:
Original post by artful_lounger
To be fair there are different types of screwdrivers and screw heads (even just beyond philips and flathead) and using the wrong one will mess up the screw and potentially make things much harder.

Ooh, what if it's a claw hammer??? 😆
Original post by ageshallnot

I would really hope it was obvious which end of a claw hammer to hit things with :tongue:

Spoiler

Well virtually all hammers are claw hammers these days. I would pay to see a confused student try and knock the screws in with the claw end and wonder why the screws were either not going in or ending up lodged pointing in every direction, like bed hair.

Please, artful. OP doesn’t even know how to use a hammer so let’s not even bring up stuff beyond philips and flathead. Let a baby gurgle before teaching it the alphabet.
Well virtually all hammers are claw hammers these days. I would pay to see a confused student try and knock the screws in with the claw end and wonder why the screws were either not going in or ending up lodged pointing in every direction, like bed hair.

Personally, I'd use a screwdriver...
Personally, I'd use a screwdriver...

Well depending how hard the surface is you may need to use at least one good bash of the hammer to get it in before then twisting to go deeper.
Well depending how hard the surface is you may need to use at least one good bash of the hammer to get it in before then twisting to go deeper.

Is that a quote from the Ann Summers DIY manual??? 😆😳😆
^ 😉🫢
Hey, I'm sure you will be fine :tongue: as @gjd800 mentioned you will be unlikely to need them. The only time I've needed a screwdriver for example was to change the batteries in my kitchen scales :smile:
Reply 15
If you're renting any repairs requiring those kind of tools are the responsibility of the landlord, not the tenant - and in fact you quite possibly shouldn't undertake them as a tenant as then if anything subsequently goes wrong as a result of those repairs, not only will you not be entitled to any kind of compensation for damage to your belongings, but you are likely to be liable for any damage to the property.

If you can screw in a lightbulb you'll be fine. Obviously developing those skills isn't a bad idea in of itself, but I wouldn't use them for the purpose you are suggesting.

Also to be perfectly frank, if you can't figure out how to use a hammer you have some bigger problems.

I know how to use a hammer but with very little experience. The problem I have is I have a lingering fear that anything I try to "fix" gets even more broken. I don't want to be one of those men who doesn't know how to do anything requiring manual labour. Thank you for the advice, though. I have watched a video on how to reliably use a screwdriver, and as someone said, a hammer is self-explanatory.

Thanks for the advice, all I need now is practice.
I know how to use a hammer but with very little experience. The problem I have is I have a lingering fear that anything I try to "fix" gets even more broken. I don't want to be one of those men who doesn't know how to do anything requiring manual labour. Thank you for the advice, though. I have watched a video on how to reliably use a screwdriver, and as someone said, a hammer is self-explanatory.

Thanks for the advice, all I need now is practice.

I mean I think the lingering fear is a fair one to hold onto as such maintenance is not the responsibility of the tenant as noted. Unless you want to take up carpentry as a hobby (which is a noble aim to be sure!), or are going to be owning a property soon, or are aiming to work in a job where such skills are needed (e.g. as an art technician, contractor, etc) there are much more limited use cases for those kind of skills.
(edited 7 months ago)

Hey there!

Honestly you just learn as you go. I found tutorials on YouTube and TikTok have helped but it ends up being more self explanatory than you think. Hammers and saws are quite easy to navigate but I don't know why you'd ever need to use them in student accommodation to be honest. Most accommodations don't let you hammer nails into the walls and I don't know what you'd be cutting up. I've used a screwdriver a couple of times but that's just simply finding the right screwdriver head by looking at the end of your screw and attaching the corresponding head to the screwdriver and then just twisting.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Hi there,

If you really want to learn to use these maybe try tutorials on YouTube?

However depending on your University, some items may be prohibited for safety reasons. It is quite unlikely that you will need these at University. There may also be rules on altering University property, I think reading the tenancy agreement before hand will be a good idea.

I think University deals with repairs and maintenance quite quickly (for me, when i reported issues, they were normally dealt with within 1 or 2 days), so you should not have to worry about that.

Hope this helps.
Chloe
-University of Kent Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending