The Student Room Group

OCR C2 Exam May 18th 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by samjj8
Also for the one where you had to find the value of x... I got something like X^3 = 64/27 ... so x = third root 64/3?

cubert(64/27) = 4/3

therefore x = 4/3
Reply 241
Original post by samjj8
Overall, it was an OK paper. The last question, I couldn't find the range of y? I know that the value has to be between 1 and -1.
So I put y> 2 for some extremely strange reason. Because 1-1 = 0 and you can't have 0 on the bottom. Got the 5 marker correct! :biggrin:

Also for the one where you had to find the value of x... I got something like X^3 = 64/27 ... so x = third root 64/3?

When I subbed it into X, it was correct... but I have never left something as a third root in standard form. It wanted the exact answer??

For the Trig graph, I just did the same thing for part 2 for part 1. Completely forgot what I needed to do for obtuse angles.

I got 0.5 < y < 2 as when you sub them in you get -1 and 1.

Cube root of 64/27 = 4/3 which is an exact answer I think?

I could be wrong with these 2 though!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 242
overall its an easy paper. probably dropped 1 mark .on the obtuse angle question
What did everyone out for f(x) and g(x) where it asked to factories fully, i couldn't do it coz i kept on getting root of negative number for the quadratic formula
Reply 244
Original post by kenann
cubert(64/27) = 4/3

therefore x = 4/3

Yeh, for some reason I got a decimal, I definately did the LOGS right, and when I subbed my answer back into the question, it worked... :\ Can anyone remember the question?
Reply 245
I got the obtuse part wrong so -3. Although I know how to do it now... us the identity sin^2 + cos^2=1 so cos^2x=1- (3/7)^2 and solve to sin^2x to get root40/7 I think.

I spent 40 mins looking at the questions using triangles, graphs...just didn't get the "Eureka" moment to use a simple trig identity. *sigh*
Reply 246
Original post by samjj8
Overall, it was an OK paper. The last question, I couldn't find the range of y? I know that the value has to be between 1 and -1.
So I put y> 2 for some extremely strange reason. Because 1-1 = 0 and you can't have 0 on the bottom. Got the 5 marker correct! :biggrin: .

Almost there. 0.5>y>2

the equation requires the abs. value. This means log2(y) can be -1. So y is more than 0.5. (2 to the minus 1 is a half)
I found that awful! So much harder than past papers, and I didn't finish a few questions because I ran out of time... For me, that was my worst exam ever eughhhhhhhhh I'm so annoyed at myself!
Original post by abarlas123
What did everyone out for f(x) and g(x) where it asked to factories fully, i couldn't do it coz i kept on getting root of negative number for the quadratic formula

the two factors were like (x-2) (x-3) or something like that? those were the two number, cant remember which way round the signs were though
Reply 249
unbelievable.

Those tan/cos/sin questions were unbelievable. I just had no idea how to convert them into an exact figure.
Reply 250
do people think 72 will do 100 UMS or what?

If all goes well I get 69/72, what UMS do people think that might be. I was hoping for full marks tbh but the obtuse questions got me.
Reply 251
Original post by Pride
unbelievable.

Those tan/cos/sin questions were unbelievable. I just had no idea how to convert them into an exact figure.

agreed
Reply 252
Original post by abarlas123

(x-3)(x+1)(x-2)

I am not sure about the pluses and minuses, I can't remember which way round they were. Might have been x+3

Though the ones which f(x) share a common factor with is (x-3)(x+2)
Reply 253
Original post by Pride
unbelievable.

Use a right angle triangle for the 1st part and the sin^2 + cos^2=1 identity for the 2nd I believe. Got the 2nd part wrong though as I didn't spot that.
Reply 254
Original post by J.C
I got the obtuse part wrong so -3. Although I know how to do it now... us the identity sin^2 + cos^2=1 so cos^2x=1- (3/7)^2 and solve to sin^2x to get root40/7 I think.

I spent 40 mins looking at the questions using triangles, graphs...just didn't get the "Eureka" moment to use a simple trig identity. *sigh*

Original post by matty b
agreed

same, I asked a maths teacher and he said that was easy, shoulda used an identity... damn I was drawing graphs, SATC grids, I just couldn't see it...
Reply 255
Original post by J.C
do people think 72 will do 100 UMS or what?

If all goes well I get 69/72, what UMS do people think that might be. I was hoping for full marks tbh but the obtuse questions got me.

yeah, exactly this. i know exactly how to do them now which is what frustrates me most.

and also instead of 0<y<2 and y>0, i just wrote 'y<2', i'll have to wait for mr. m to see how many marks i've dropped in total
Overall I didn't think it was too bad. I made a few careless errors which will cost me a few marks and then messed up the alpha, beta and gamma question. (Hadn't a clue how to do it!).

Did everyone get 0.67 for the last question and then x=2 and x=-3 for the f(x) and g(x) big question?
Reply 257
Original post by Pride
same, I asked a maths teacher and he said that was easy, shoulda used an identity... damn I was drawing graphs, SATC grids, I just couldn't see it...

Yeah now that I see it, it's easy. Just annoyed as I think I may have got full marks If I hadn't got that wrong.
Original post by JASApplications

Did everyone get 0.67 for the last question and then x=2 and x=-3 for the f(x) and g(x) big question?

Last question needed to be an exact value - 2/3
Reply 259
Original post by kenann
yeah, exactly this. i know exactly how to do them now which is what frustrates me most.

and also instead of 0<y<2 and y>0, i just wrote 'y<2', i'll have to wait for mr. m to see how many marks i've dropped in total

Yeah and I got told how to do it afterwards and was so annoyed, really easy tbh, just didn't think to use an identity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending